TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying things in Webcomics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
natephoenix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't lie, I DO have a pretty vaccuous titzilla character, but she's not the lead female. She exists specifically to fulfil that vaccuous role.

With Jess, my lead female, i've tried to make her into just another person. Sure, the possibility exists that she does have sex, and can be sexy...but that's not the point of her character.

I think if you're only going for "sex sells" then you're limiting yourself to a very specific reader/fan-base.
I always thought the main reason people tell stories was to entertain anyone and everyone...
...Or at least try. You can't please everyone, though.

www.JazzandJess.com <---May contain Boobies and Zombies.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theSOOZ wrote:
EDIT: Actually, an even better illustration is that sexy things in your ad do not make it more interesting or memorable.

Maybe I read that wrong, but it seemed to be about how ads during sexy TV shows don't take well because people were too distracted thinking about the sexy TV show.

I recently had someone--a guy I believe--on Project Wonderful complain to me that one of my ads was too sexy! I considered this a victory of sorts--but I did delete the ad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but many of the computer-generated webcomics are starting to look the same. I know it's easier to crank out work, but you've gotta try harder to make your own distinctive style.
BX634

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe, I'm glad to read that you sketch by hand. I guess I started getting a sense that too many people are using similar programs to generate quick hit comics. I should probably just shut up. And those Paint things are beyond stupid.
naughty_bicycle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollylaing wrote:
Spencey wrote:
I've held it in too long...

Personally, my biggest pet hate is comics attempting to respresent music.

OK, I appreciate that sometimes it is necessary to show that music is being played - and, yes, a few musical notes works well to depict 'general music sounds', but what I really loathe is when the lyrics to some song I've either never heard of, don't like or don't want ruined appears in the speech bubbles of the comic's characters!

Don't 'cleverly' re-word a Beatles song and expect me to enjoy it. Don't put lines of sheet music and expect me to go away and take a few banjo lessons in order to make sense of your comic. Don't expect me to have a sing-a-long while I read! If you want to write something musical, write a musical!

Comics. It's a silent medium!

There. I said it. I can move on with my life. *walks off whistling*

I know I'm super late with responding to this post, but I was wondering if you've read Scott Pilgrim VS the World? The comic actually does a really good job of representing music. You can get a sense of the style of music by the forms and expressive lines the artist uses to convey the intensity of the song.

I just thought I'd point that out because I think it's a good example of music used in comics.

As a musician, I loved reading Scott Pilgrim. And I think they did a pretty awesome job at illustrating music, songs, and the atmosphere of a show. I've always wanted to make a comic or a cartoon about being in a band, and some of the crazy things that happen when you're on the road, playing shows. But I always thought comics got it wrong when trying to illustrate music. Scott Pilgrim does it pretty well though.
Random-Panda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have to say this thread was amazing is its helpfulness and entertainment, lol.

I am soooooo guilty of so many thing listed here, lol. But in terms of cliche stuff, like "demons, vampires, elves, etc." its all about how you stir it up. A good mix of cliches or just a good spin, can seem new and tasty or a least less annoying. Of course wrapping the same old cliche in another cliche twist kind defeats the purpose and you end up making vampires pretty much like elves (Twilight). It all boils down to experimentation I guess. (ULTIMATE FENCE SITTING FOR THE WIN!)

But, I have to say, webcomic women of overly developed "characters" and under developed character, definitely need to be axed from the comic roster in my opinion, unless they're plot important and written well. But overall they're a very limited character type to work with.

Random-Panda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theSOOZ wrote:
To be fair, this was going on looooooong before Twilight.

True, thats just the biggest example that came to mind.

Chinchatcomics

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read many webcomics, this realm is still fairly new to me but one thing I do find annoying is a sloppy storyboard...the plot might be interesting but the author/artist isn't very aware of his or her audience and the comic isn't protrayed very appealingly.
bleh just my 2cents
Chinchatcomics

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theSOOZ wrote:
Chinchatcomics wrote:
I haven't read many webcomics, this realm is still fairly new to me but one thing I do find annoying is a sloppy storyboard...the plot might be interesting but the author/artist isn't very aware of his or her audience and the comic isn't protrayed very appealingly.
bleh just my 2cents

What do you mean by "sloppy storyboard"? Like, a poorly-drawn one, or one that's unclearly portrayed?

I don't mind something that's poorly drawn, it might enhance the comic! I just can't stand when there might be a funny joke/storyline but the way it's protrayed sucks.

And YES to the "everyman" character! Overdone Wink
Random-Panda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guess Mary Sues pop up so much cause they're easier to write. Its much easier to fix all conflicts and progress the story if your character can do anything, however it'll be quite a boring comic, more of a story to do list. I remember a very long time ago when dirt was still clean and puppies were the oldest animal, I was in high school and everyone in my art class that drew pretty much made their character do whatever they needed to resolve what ever the problem was. Since most were superhero or DBZ ripoffs, it pretty much came down to new problem, new power.

I always worry about my main character falling into this so I try to at least be more creative with what he has to face.

Random-Panda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe Robinson wrote:
I love this. Smile

Laughing

Random-Panda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hear ya on all of that. I can remember my old comics and I used to be absolutely terrible on focusing on the struggle. I basically would have a character with some awesome power (well, what I thought was awesome at the time), and they would run into a problem, they would beat up said problem, and the day is good. Then wash, rinse, repeat. Hell, I still think I'm guilty in some area of my comic were I mary sue it up a little. But I try to keep that in mind and get better as I go.

P.S. I once had a character that could basically make a light show come out of nowhere to confuse an enemy. I thought this was the coolest thing EVER! At the time his name was Grime but it should have been something like Disco Justice. LOL

Chinchatcomics

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance,
but what is this "Mary Sue-age" reference? I've heard of the "everyman" and the "average joe/mary", is this the same thing?
Random-Panda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theSOOZ wrote:
You made Marvel's Dazzler?

...yes, apparently i did...
::hangs head in shame::

Well, no, it was an unintentional (I didn't even know who Dazzler was at the tme) cheap knock-off.
::hangs head even further in shame::

Random-Panda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooncity wrote:
Something I find annoying is when people try to reinvent the wheel. They come up with wacky new nav systems and layouts and then pat themselves on the back for being such brilliant mavericks, blazing their own trail. But there was nothing really wrong with the standard layout or nav for webcomics to begin with, and they became the standard because they made the most sense.

Couldn't agree more, I personally like simple when it comes to webcomics. Too much extra stuff on a page that's not the comic itself is way too distracting, not to mention an extra load on any browser.

lexianee wrote:
Also I hate when they make a comic to small to see or read the resolution is to small and I have to zoom in to get a blurry idea of wtf is going on!!! That is pure evil!!!! And not my screen res is not that small!!

I'm constantly worried about this with my comic, so I tested a lot of font sizes when I started just to make sure its readable even at the higher end of resolutions. Hell, even now I try to lean to the side of a little big, just to be safe. I can't stress how important it is to keep in mind (at least vaguely) how much text is going into a panel so it can be drawn with enough space.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 11 of 55

Jump to: