TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Category: Best Character / Most Interesting Character
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we have this category and should it be one or two categories?
No, I don't think we should.
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Yes, one Best Character Award.
42%
 42%  [ 17 ]
Yes, one Best Male Character Award and one Best Female Character award.
45%
 45%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 40

LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Procedure-wise, would it be fair to say that those who voted "no" would probably prefer one award to two?
funnyninjas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have none, but one would be better than two, I think.
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, who is voting for two awards? Can someone please give some justification for this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't voted yet, but I'm drawn towards two. I suppose it's because I do consider writing for male and female characters to be different disciplines, if only because I've never been able to write men particularly well (which is odd, since I am one). That and, well, I just like the analogue to Best Actor/Actress. My only reason for going for one instead of two would be that most of the organisers don't seem to want two, and there's no sense in forcing them to judge an award they don't want to do.
The comment about genderless/ambiguously-gendered characters does hold some water too, I suppose... but even speaking as somebody who has such a character in their comic, I don't see this as a major issue.

'Tis just my opinion. Don't shout at me >.>

S*P*Q*R
hollylaing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is following similar categories to say, the Oscars, there would be a 'best actor' and 'best actress' award, wouldn't there?

There are differences when writing and developing characters of each sex, I personally believe that it is a skill that should be recognized. It also gives more comics an opportunity to be featured. So why not?

Just my opinion, though.

My deviantART
TWCL Profile
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acting awards have male and female divisions because the roles available to men cannot be played by women and vice versa, it is the actors themselves who are up for the awards.

In comics it is the artists who are the contendors, and one artist can draw men and women just as easily. Indeed, almost every story will have male and female characters - the writer having to show skill in developing them both.
Max Vaehling

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if it's about writing the opposite sex as well as your own, the award should be split into "best character of the author/artist's sex" and "Best character of the opposite sex, from the author's point of view". Or, to reel the other genders back in, "Best character of a sex or gender not shared by the author".

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
dooky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's assuming it's easier to write characters of your own gender. I'm a man, and I have a comic with an entirely female cast, partly because I'm so bad at creating fully rounded male characters...

S*P*Q*R
hollylaing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSurl wrote:

In comics it is the artists who are the contendors, and one artist can draw men and women just as easily. Indeed, almost every story will have male and female characters - the writer having to show skill in developing them both.

Actually, for a lot of artists (even pros) that isn't the case, but I suppose that alone wouldn't warrant a second category... if the award is based solely on the character design.

However, for the overall character I still believe that have two categories seems like the way to go.

My deviantART
TWCL Profile
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSurl wrote:
Acting awards have male and female divisions because the roles available to men cannot be played by women and vice versa, it is the actors themselves who are up for the awards.
hollylaing wrote:
LukeSurl wrote:

Actually, for a lot of artists (even pros) that isn't the case, but I suppose that alone wouldn't warrant a second category... if the award is based solely on the character design,

I didn't mean it in that way. I meant that for acting there are male and female roles, and a male actor can only possibly play male roles (and vice versa). In comics, yes, some have more difficultly writing or drawing one sex (I find women harder to draw than men) but I am still able to have either male or female characters at my discretion.

The acting analogy doesn't work here.

If there is one category, we can say that we've identified which creator has done THE best job of character creation. With two categories, we'll end up with two creators winning two awards, neither of which means that they are the best at this skill. I just don't see how designing a male character and a female character are SUBSTANTIALLY different skills.

I think a single award here is worth more than the two awards combined. Plus we avoid any tricky sex-determining questions for robots, aliens, Vaarsuvius* etc.

*Not as trivial a point as you might think, Burlew did a lot of development of the Vaarsuvius character this year, and he/she could be a contender for best character.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I would agree with LukeSurl's above post. However, I would like to point out that male characters have been played by female actors before and probably vice versa. The example that comes to mind is Perry from Kevin and Perry Go Large, a male character played by a female actor. Also Bart Simpson, though that's really voice acting only and not quite as relevant.
hollylaing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I guess I misunderstood the award. I thought it was to award a specific character, not the artist/writer's ability to design/develop characters.

Unless I am still missing something (which if true is probably really sad Razz )

My deviantART
TWCL Profile
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollylaing wrote:
Okay, I guess I misunderstood the award. I thought it was to award a specific character, not the artist/writer's ability to design/develop characters.

It's sorta both really, but, as the characters are fictional creations of their designer, it's only the creator that's actually being honoured.
dooky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this to save it from the Guest Account-Generated Abyss of Eternal Badness (GAGAEB).

S*P*Q*R
Max Vaehling

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dooky wrote:
But that's assuming it's easier to write characters of your own gender. I'm a man, and I have a comic with an entirely female cast, partly because I'm so bad at creating fully rounded male characters...

Nope, just assuming there's a difference, not assuming anything about what the difference is. BTW, I'm still in favor of just one award. Exactly because the assumed difference is, at the very least, fuzzy.

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum