TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voting procedure of the nomination phase
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, registration on a site would discourage a lot of potential voters, so the email system would probably work better. As long as we have a system to verify that they're eligible to nominate and vote - a link to their site in the email, and the email they're sending from clearly visible somewhere on the site, for example - I think it'd work perfectly fine. Just make sure the nomination and voting rules are clear and easy to find on the award site.

And as I have said before, I'm happy to help count votes and nominations and verify voters.
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 3-2-1 and top 3 (probably in that order.)
I actually find that *easier* as a voter than just picking one.

I'm willing to count votes and/or verify site address references or whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Original plan update. Reply with quote

Ok, to fix the idea I had to incorporate what you guys have been saying, here's what could be changed.

The voting page would be a form that would not require any log in and would ask for the following info:
>Name
>Your webcomic URL
>Your webcomic Life
>Your votes on category 1
>Your votes on category 2
>Etc.
>There would be a captcha test to prevent botting

And then the admins who login into the /admin will see a list of the voters(as a safeguard, only their name/URL/Life could be shown instead of the whole form; just to ensure no malice) where the admin's will confirm or deny voters based on if the voter really has a webcomic.

Then, the vote result charts would be able to be viewed at a separate page by the admins (ex:/admin/results)

Also, as a side note, I am fully confident in my ability to code this system; as I wouldn't be suggesting it otherwise.

Lucky Lottery![/url]
Updates every Monday, Wednesday and Friday
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems open to cheating to me. Some webcartoonists have their name clearly displayed on their website, so some random could easily come along and say "I'm Tim Buckley, honest, and here are my votes, they're all for Rubbishy Pencil-drawn-on-lined-paper Comic by Fred Fredson who is awesome and wonderful and incredible and the comic is awesome," and we'd have no way to prove that he's not Tim Buckley (for example; I just picked a name a lot of people would be familiar with).
Rixius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A projected fix:

Add to the form an Email line; with a statement that it would be required for verification purposes only

Send a verification email to the email listed;

verification would be a link they click;

/admin would list the email as well, and you, the admins, would check for that email on their site when you're already verifying if their site meets the other criteria.

You would have to do the same thing through an email system; except the information would be displayed in a more friendly manner.

Lucky Lottery![/url]
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see the advantage of this over "send email from one listed on your site"

We could have an online form with fields you fill out, which then generates a block of text you can copy & paste into an email, but any complex online system is vulnerable to some form of technical/malicious hitch.

I'm guessing perhaps 500 voters, with 'bout 7 categories. We'll have a fair few people counting, so I don't think this'll be a problem.

Simplicity, especially in the first year, is paramount (hence why I also prefer a 1-person, 1-nomination system)
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole issue of how people vote is a complicated one and one that we are nowhere near sorting out yet. As far as the polling goes I'm just going to include how many votes people have.

The technicalities of how these votes will be registered and counted can be discussed in the public forum and I'd really appreciate any suggestions, but I think it would be best for the decision on these things to be sorted by the committee members as they're the ones who will have to make it work.

Blog
Rixius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSurl wrote:
I really don't see the advantage of this over "send email from one listed on your site"

We could have an online form with fields you fill out, which then generates a block of text you can copy & paste into an email, but any complex online system is vulnerable to some form of technical/malicious hitch.

The problem is there are many ways counting emails can be completely flawed; through PHP you can send an email as if any email in the world sent it, without logging into their email account.

You can send an email as if from anyone from bill gates to Tim Buckly to Gabe & tycho.

Lucky Lottery![/url]
KeksdabeKnink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Voting procedure of the nomination phase Reply with quote

Ive closed most of the categories except for a few that are really close. KEEP VOTING ON THOSE
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Voting procedure of the nomination phase Reply with quote

KeksdabeKnink wrote:
Ive closed most of the categories except for a few that are really close. KEEP VOTING ON THOSE

You're sveral months late to the party, spambot.

Blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum