TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voting procedure of the nomination phase
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Novil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Voting procedure of the nomination phase Reply with quote

Which voting procedure should we use for the initial nomination phase among webcomic creators? There are basically three possibilites:

- One vote per category
- Two or three votes per category
- Two or three votes per category giving 2 and 1 resp. 3, 2 and 1 points.

Comics which are not the personal number one of a lot of people but the personal number two or three could profit from the third and especially the second option.

For example (letís assume 5 comics in each category and 4 other comics have more votes anyway):

One vote per category:
Comic A: 20 votes
Comic B: 15 votes

Three votes per category with 3, 2 and 1 points:
Comic A: 1st: 20 votes, 2nd: 5 votes, 3rd: 5 votes = 75 points
Comic B: 1st: 15 votes, 2nd: 20 votes, 3rd: 10 votes = 95 points

The point system seems to be very fair since more people seem to prefer Comic B to Comic A, but itís a bit problematic regarding people who donít know of three comics deserving an award in that particular category. It also means more work for the ones counting the votes.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Voting procedure of the nomination phase Reply with quote

Novil wrote:
- One vote per category
- Two or three votes per category
- Two or three votes per category giving 2 and 1 resp. 3, 2 and 1 points.

Largely because the difficulty of counting votes (and the potential for something to go wrong) increases as you go down the list, I prefer a simple one man, one vote system. I think the sceanrio Novil outlines above is actually fairly unlikely.
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this were a fun contest, I'd go with the 3-2-1 system which levels the field and works against runaway bandwagon favorites.

But I get the impression this is a serious contest, so one vote per person per category or similar might be the way to go. Simpler to add up, too.

/opinion
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in favour of the 3-2-1 system. If handled correctly, i don't see it being any more of an organisational problem than the one man one vote system. I'll even volunteer to count votes.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chilari wrote:
I'll even volunteer to count votes.

That's good.
I was going to try and rope you into it anyway.

= P

Blog
tracy brady cartoons

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to help too. I'm a lawyer so let me know if you all need help with the legalese.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tracy brady cartoons wrote:
I'd like to help too. I'm a lawyer so let me know if you all need help with the legalese.

Awesome, thanks.
I've added your name to the list of volunteers. Very Happy

Onto the other issue of the day, on Sunday when I open the polls I'll open up one on this issue.

As it stands the poll will be this:

Q. How many comics can be voted for in the nomination period?

1. One comic per category, per person.
2. Two votes with first choice being worth 2 points and second worth 1 point.
3. Three votes with first choice being worth 3 points, second worth 2 and third worth 1 point.

Do these options sound good to everyone here?

Blog
Rixius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Method for voting: Reply with quote

While the idea of counting emails sounds like it could work just fine without too many hitches; I have a much more simple idea for counting votes.

Here's the idea I've thrown together

One website:
example.com;

The administrators of the awards(You guys) would log in and go to example.com/admin and have the ability to add a user, therefore no one could just go to the site and vote.

The voters would be given their username/pass to them via PM/email/whatev by you guys, and be able to login to the main site and vote on the topics. The voters would not be able to do anything in example.com/admin, as that would be bad.

The votes could be easily be set up for the awesome sounding 3-2-1 system, and counting would be automagical.

The only requirement would be a hosting with MySQL and PHP support; and I haven't seen a paid hosting that doesn't have those.
A sub-domain(ex. awards.example.com) would work perfectly.
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Method for voting: Reply with quote

Rixius wrote:
no one could just go to the site and vote.

Sorry but this means nobody would bother voting. If you make it effort for users to do something, or make their actions rely on another person; they simply won't bother. It becomes too much hassle for them.

wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think this makes the most sense.

As we're not planning on making this open to everybody in the world ever and we'll have to give each person the thumbs up then we do not an organised way of people to be able to vote once that stage is done.

I doubt having to enter a username and randomly generated password in order to vote would put many people off at all and it would make the whole process a lot easier for the committee members, well, the ones who don't have to code the page.

I would guess the way that it would work is that once all the votes have been cast we get a list of comics with how many points they've got each. Then it would be up to the committee to do a bit of tidying up and making sure that people haven't been nominated the same comic with different URLs. (I would suggest asking people to include the URL not the name as it would save a lot of time googling comic names)

For example, http://thiscomic.com, http://www.thiscomic.com and http://www.thiscomic.com/ could all have received nominations. It would be up to the committee members to make sure that these nominations were combined.

One thing that I would suggest is making all of the fields optional, so that if people don't have a clue what to vote for in Best Gag-a-Day, or whatever the name turns out to be, because they only read longform story comics then they can just skip that field.

Blog
Novil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people have to register for voting, youíll get probably 20 % of the votes if they would just have to sent a mail or (even easier) fill out a html form. People generally hate registering at websites to do something.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the easiest thing to do would be to request that people send their nominations email from an address that is listed on their site (making sure to tell us where we can find that adress listed. (instructions for creating a disposable email address included for the security paranoid)

The advantage for this is that, for the voter, it's a one-step process, no waiting for validation.

I don't think we have anyone on board who technicallly has the ability to create a secure online web-voting form - and such a system has the capability for catastrophic faliure.
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novil wrote:
If people have to register for voting, youíll get probably 20 % of the votes if they would just have to sent a mail or (even easier) fill out a html form. People generally hate registering at websites to do something.

Agreed. The way I see it, if I have to ask to take part in voting and then have an account created by someone else (who from my point of view may or may not allow me to take part), I won't bother.

wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're thinking combine the registration and nomination stages.
Fair enough. That makes sense.

Blog
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
So you're thinking combine the registration and nomination stages.

Basically, yes. It needs to be easy for both the committe and the voters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum