TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Category: Best Art

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What art awards should we have?
Just one Best Art award
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Seperate awards for Best Colour Art / Best Black and White Art
27%
 27%  [ 9 ]
Best Colour Art / Best Black and White Art / Best Non-traditional Art
57%
 57%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 33

Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the different kinds of techniques and the different amounts of time involved in each type of comic creation, I think "best art" should be split up. Originally I argued for black and white vs colour, because they can both be seen as having certain advantages over each other - colour is naturally more attractive, but generally takes longer.

At the time I debated these issues, I admit I had overlooked non-traditional techniques such as 3D art, photocomics, and using programs like G-mod to pose digital actors. I think these should be recognised too, as they too have different kinds of techniques involved. In fact, if it weren't for certain disadvantages to such a course of action, I'd argue for each of the three above mentioned techniques to have their own category too*. As it is, I nevertheless think they should be recognised, and as such propose that rather than a single "best art" category, we should split it into black and white, colour, and non-traditional.

This will recognise the best in each type of artistic creation without putting certain groups in the shade simply because they're less popular or "don't count as art"**.

*Reasons against splitting non-traditional media:
1. There are several different kinds of non-traditional media, and as with the genres debate, everyone using a slightly different technique will call for their technique to be a new category.
2. We want to limit the number of categories so as not to overwhelm both organisers and judges.
3. Non-traditional media are still fairly minor compared to traditional media, and will, grouped, still be likely to be a smaller category than either black and white or colour art. Splitting it up will create many even smaller categories that will end up with too few nominations.

**Art is subjective; while one person might say Jackson Pollard's works or Mark Rothko's works are a load of rubbish, another would claim they're the pinnacle of modern art. Similarly, while one person might claim a photograph isn't "art", another would vehemently disagree. The same goes for other forms of new media.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum