TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying things in Webcomics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericthetolle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing like a really well-drawn pencil comic, from an artist who understands what can be done with pencil shading. Which reminds me of that urban fantasy webcomic that disappeared a while ago, something-bookstore, IIRC.

As for things that annoy me....

Deal Breakers:

Poser. Or other CGI comics. Sorry, but even aside from the Uncanny Valley aspects, CGI figures are way to static and stiff appearing to work for me. Especially with the creepy expressions.

"Science Fiction" webcomics where the artist's only notion of space science comes from watching Star Wars and Star Trek. Unfortunately there's a popular webcomic that combines both the above annoyances, so even though the writer seems to be telling a good story with interesting characters, I'm avoiding it.

Artists with poor grasp of perspective, anatomy, or action. Whenever I look at a character and wonder, "Has that artist never seen an arm before?" it's annoying. Note: this doesn't include comics where the artist obviously knows what he's doing, and is doing a -particular style for effect.

Webcomics with no sympathetic characters. Especially ones where I want to personally strangle all of the characters, stomp on the remains, and light them on fire, whether for being aggressively stupid, or simply being utter jerks with no redeeming values. Anders Doesn't Love Anybody, I'm looking at you.

The above, especially if they are supposed to be autobiographical comics. Man, if you're such a loser, why do you think I want to know about your life?

Imitation is not the sincerest form of flattery- even if it's accidental. For example, if it's a neo-steampunk comic featuring a blond, long-haired, glasses-wearing girl inventor with an affinity for music and her name ISN'T Agatha Clay, then well....

Not deal breakers, but:

This is a bit hard to explain, but- black and white work that was designed for color, especially in the style of mainstream comics.

Crazy for the sake of being crazy characters- translates into "crazy for the sake of being annoying".

Websites where I can't navigate the archive by url. That is, if I am on comic 273, and I haven't read this comic since page 151, I want the past pages to have a page number in the url so I can just type in the number of the comic I want.

Sex comedy comics that show sex scenes, but for some reason cover up all the "naughty bits". though I guess I just consider this more odd than annoying.

Webcomics where the main female character is the only sensible one who acts as "straight women" to the male leads, as well as being somewhat hapless.

Likewise, if she's the only competent member of the cast.

Especially so if that woman is the only cast member to appear on the front page of The Webcomic List, with cleavage exposed. Especially because that tactic seems to work, damn it. Mad
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Websites where I can't navigate the archive by url. That is, if I am on comic 273, and I haven't read this comic since page 151, I want the past pages to have a page number in the url so I can just type in the number of the comic I want.

The problem is, depending on what comic system you're using to automate your archive, it either goes by number or date. I'd rather date to number myself because I remember 'I read that back in summer 2008' and then I can go back to July and see if I was right.

Fortunately, most comics either will have a calendar archive or a manual archive (preferably sorted by chapter at the very least) or even a dropdown which is much more convenient than typing in a URL.

I don't know what the popular webcomic you're thinking of for sci-fi is but I'd probably read it, or at least give it a chance. (I really don't like 3D art. Even in Dreamland Chronicles. Ugh.)

Quote:
Crazy for the sake of being crazy characters- translates into "crazy for the sake of being annoying".

That... drives me batty.

Quote:
This is a bit hard to explain, but- black and white work that was designed for color, especially in the style of mainstream comics.

And I know very much what you mean. It looks unfinished and distracting.

Quote:
Webcomics where the main female character is the only sensible one who acts as "straight women" to the male leads, as well as being somewhat hapless.

Likewise, if she's the only competent member of the cast.

Especially so if that woman is the only cast member to appear on the front page of The Webcomic List, with cleavage exposed.

Terribly annoying, though I don't know which comic it is. Fanservice ads drive me batty. (I wrote 'drive me nuts', then looked at that, realized it was an awful joke and most people probably don't know for sure my gender. I'm female. Booby fanservice ads are so degrading, why are there no abs and tight pants for the other gendered characters in ads?!)

And since I did rant about pencil comics... I love well done pencil art. It's the poorly done pencil art that irks me. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
Quote:

I feel like I know what you mean here, but I don't have a solid visual in my mind to accompany it... can you provide examples, or more of an explanation?
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varethane wrote:
Metruis wrote:
Quote:

I feel like I know what you mean here, but I don't have a solid visual in my mind to accompany it... can you provide examples, or more of an explanation?

Hmmm.

Some lineart just looks like it should be colored. Yours doesn't, it looks finished in an uncolored state. But some lines art like coloring book lines and even if the art is solid, without color they look flat. I've been reading through this comic and it feels like it should be colored. I like the writing but the lineart and general lack of backgrounds makes every panel feel unfinished in my mind. It's not a dealbreaker, but that's just how it feels to me.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
Varethane wrote:
Metruis wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm.

Some lineart just looks like it should be colored. Yours doesn't, it looks finished in an uncolored state. But some lines art like coloring book lines and even if the art is solid, without color they look flat. I've been reading through this comic and it feels like it should be colored. I like the writing but the lineart and general lack of backgrounds makes every panel feel unfinished in my mind. It's not a dealbreaker, but that's just how it feels to me.

Yeah, I just can't read comics with art like that: my eyes refuse to do the additional work necessary to make sense out of the thin mass of unweighted lines. Gar.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels like coloring book art, to me, not like finished black and white art and ought to be colored, is all I'm saying, so it's an example of the syndrome. And yeah, it's definately not a webcomic-only thing. I can't remember the name of it now... it was a comic about a girl... I think she had glasses... very minimalistic art, so a lot of white backgrounds... it definately wanted to be black and white but the art as it was didn't feel quite finished enough.

But in the one I linked, color would DEFINATELY help. A lot.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Improving" on standard webcomic navigation. Especially when said improvements involve no way of going from one comic to the next without hitting the back button and loading a new page from an archive.

I actually love the lack of panel borders, at least the way War of Winds does it... but aye, it's only good done well.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frustrated Hair-tearer-out woman strikes again.

Only the little known superhero Ro-gain can stop her now!

www.JazzandJess.com <---May contain Boobies and Zombies.
James Sawatsky
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psuedo-intellects borderlining on condescention. "I'm going to use a bunch of big words that I have only a vague understanding of. When someone calls me on it, I will start quoting political radio because I'm too high-brow for TV." Not all of us are Frasier!
Clint Wolf

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frasier might not, but Kelsey Grammer might.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think you have to have been x to make fun of x. But making fun of people in a comic is usually kind of lame, regardless.

Except when I do it.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Background...

http://nettserier.no/hemmis/
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sariojonathan wrote:
I guess its not limited to VGs. Its any comic that critics anything where the author bases everything out of observation instead of experience. Like a comic that makes fun of goth people but the author is not or has never been a goth him/herself... thats just lame for me.

But in the former case, it's quite possible that the author has experienced the target of his derision, in that he has played the game; it is the product, after all, that he is parodying, rather than the creators themselves (at least, outside of their direct role as creators, and what can be inferred about that from the product which they have offered). It's only when the parodies become superficial- for example, making fun of a film that you haven't actually seen- that it becomes comparable to the latter.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpruss wrote:
smbhax.com wrote:
Background...

http://nettserier.no/hemmis/

Bah that's awful! Solid background, that's the way to go. Or I use stripe generator for pinstripe like backgrounds on some websites. Like 1 or 2 pixels wide.

http://www.stripegenerator.com/#Zm9yZT05MUFFRTM7aD0zMDt3PTE7cD00O2JhY2sxPWZmZmZmZjtiYWNrMj1mZjAwMDA7Z3Q9MDtkPTA7c2hhZG93PTA7

The "The Ultimate Tool for Web 2.0 Designers" subtitle on that site is AMAZING. ;)
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MysteriousKID wrote:
The webcomics i don't really like are sprite comics based on sonic or pokemon.

Many times those are not there original character and any one can go on paint copy and past some sprites and add a few words to make it seem like a comic.

unless it is actually sprite art you made your self we really don't need to see it.

Cruel sir, you are breaking the tender hearts of pre-teen boys everywhere. ;_;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 7 of 55

Jump to: