TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying things in Webcomics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If scrolling's a crime, I'm on death row!

That's after they shoot me for using sound effects!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, in one of LF's early pages I use the un-sound-effect GRIN. Luckily I've been meaning to redo that page as it's pretty important, but GRIN is just ridiculous.

I like JUMP though. It makes me think of video game jumping noises. Actually, most people who use that probably don't think of video games, but it'd be neat if that's what they actually intended sometimes... :B
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh, that brings me right back to playing Wild Arms 4... JUMP! JUMP! HUP! JUMP! BUT I CAN'T SWIM!

Argh.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, noun-effects aren't all bad! I admit to having used 'LEAP' as a sound effect a couple of times... I find it entertaining!

Every so often I'll think of a funny noise and then try to think of the strangest position in which it could appear as a sound effect. Currently I'm trying for 'VVWOOOP'.

(Sound effects and I have an abusive and mutually unhealthy relationship.)
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
What bugs me even more is the manga trend of using sound effects to explain what's going on. Such as "jump" "hide" "run" as sound effects, etc.

Ohh yeah. I'll admit there were a few times when this was new to me and I saw a "sound effect" of this type that was so ridiculous I found it mildly amusing, but most of them are just so lame, and actually I think I've pretty much gotten sick of the whole thing now.
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
Metruis wrote:
What bugs me even more is the manga trend of using sound effects to explain what's going on. Such as "jump" "hide" "run" as sound effects, etc.

Ohh yeah. I'll admit there were a few times when this was new to me and I saw a "sound effect" of this type that was so ridiculous I found it mildly amusing, but most of them are just so lame, and actually I think I've pretty much gotten sick of the whole thing now.

NobbyNobody og Oddfish has the coolest non-sound-effects you can find
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:

And, I agree. What bugs me even more is the manga trend of using sound effects to explain what's going on. Such as "jump" "hide" "run" as sound effects, etc. Truuust in the artwork. Cool

Argh, that drives me nuts! Oh look, she's smiling and there's a sound effect that goes *smile smile*! So is the writer of this thing an idiot or does s/he think their readers are idiots?

The only ones I'm partial to are "ba-THROOM!" and "monocle!"
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, if someone uses KER-MONOCLE as a sound effect I will die happy.

And, no, I'm okay with non-sound sound effects in comedy comics. I'm talking about... in the middle of the serious, you've finally found your brother after searching for him through worlds of frightful spiders and living roses made of blood... "I'VE FOUND YOU! *smile*" "glomp" "falls".

Or, in the middle of the climatic chase scene... "GET BACK HERE, YOU THIEF! chases"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XD That is the best description.

The unsound effect thing may be done more in manga-styled webcomics also because actual manga tends to have sound effects for everything because of how Japanese onomatopoeia works. But, when it comes to that, only less-serious manga does it, too. So webcomcs have no excuses!
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the space filling that bugs me but the things that are not sound effects used as sound effects that bugs me. It's the storytelling aspect that gets me, not the typography. *BLAM* is a sound. *COY SMILE* is not. It's an example of telling, not showing. But you make a valid point on making the type/SFX part of the artwork so it doesn't stand out. Got a link to the article?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad this was the firs thread I read, being new to the forum.

Gave me a good idea of what easy pitfalls there are.

It also made me feel at ease with being exceedingly picky about what I add to my mourning coffee.

There have been a few comics I've deleted from morning coffee. The reason?

Strips in a story arch that offer no suspense or reason to read the next strip! I was in love with the art of one nameless comic but I'd have to wait for three updates until some plot developed!

Unreadable text and or bad panel structure. Even some of my favorite comics have tempted me to send angry e-mails with a PDF of "how to draw comics the marvel way"

Pencil drawn comics. C'mon now!

Anime references. But only because I barely watch any anime and it makes me feel stupid. Razz

Politics in my web comics.

And as Questionable Content would put it: Too much robot.
Hoisington

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What annoys me is Comics with toooooo much anime kawaii desu nay lol randum bullshit going on.
oppernaR
Uses a ruler for everything

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most annoying thing in webcomics these days is those pesky comics. Nobody wants to read that!
And webcomic artists! Those are the worst, bringing the whole webcomic community down!

</webcomicsnob>

*KER-MONOCLE*

S*P*Q*R
-I use a ruler for everything.
swankivy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkasylum wrote:
Pencil drawn comics. C'mon now!

. . . Awww!

Sad

I'm wondering, actually, what this "c'mon now!" rebuke refers to. Is there something inherently bad about pencil? Do webcomic artists who publish their comics in pencil look like they're not trying hard enough, or maybe you think it's sloppy or unfinished looking?

Because, see, I kinda like the unique effect I get from having a pencil-only comic. My art isn't always fantastic, but I can churn out a pretty good pencil doodle once in a while. . . .

From the comic: They're clickable.

Maybe it's just because I'm not that great a color artist, but it seems like when I color things they become really cartoony and that doesn't fit the mood of my comic very well.

Ironically, the comic was in color during a dream sequence once:

That's why I like pencil better, but if anyone in this thread agrees that pencil is boo, would you give me a description of why that's the case and whether it's dependent on how it's used?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig pencil comics when they're done well. It's not something I can do myself [my pencils are waaaay too rough and illegible] but I respect people who can. Good pencil work is really tough to pull off, which is why you don't see much of it online.

Annoyances: Animu comics in general. I guess I've just read so many awful ones that even the good ones (and there are good ones, I'm sure) are tainted by association. One cat-eared human or super-deformed XD type reaction shot and I'm outta there. I respect that everyone else seems to love it, but it's just not for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 6 of 55

Jump to: