TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying things in Webcomics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
munkymu
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:

I ranted because about two hours before that post, I clicked on an ad for a comic and it LITERALLY had that many pages prior to the comic actually beginning. I counted. By five I was starting to wonder if there even was a comic or if this was just an art dump...

I think I saw one of these last week. Clicked on a promising link...

"Okay. Yes. Good. Uh... Is there a story here? This is getting ridiculous."

And then I think it launched into some sort of prologuey thing and I wandered off irritated.

I don't mind interludes as long as they come between chapters, and are either genuinely entertaining or, if they're not, they don't go into the archives. And I don't mind chapter cover pages, as long as there's just one of 'em per chapter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meggyc, if I notice something like that in a comic as I go along, I'll probably stop reading it. Stuff like that bugs me, kind of like when you notice all the faces are extremely slanted or look the same. It's also usually in the kind of comic where angles, bodies, and poses are all the same, too, which I'll read on certain circumstances...but it never gets better.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: poor design Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
Izzy Bly wrote:
a). Gradients for backgrounds.

psh, gradients? annoying? more like annoyingly convenient for awesome webcomics...

(just kidding, i know they suck, but damn do i hate drawing backgrounds.)

>_>
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comic where the characters sit on the couch playing games.

Self-aware autobiographical comics.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:

Not quite the same thing, but I'm "not a fan", as it were, of autobio comics in which all the creator-slash-star ever seems to do is sit around and make autobio comics, probably about making autobio comics (and presumably continued ad nauseum).
Traitorfish
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellbound Crew wrote:
On the autobiographical joke thing. The first thing a writer does is write about themselves. It's because that's the material that you know and it's the easiest to reach. It takes hard work to pull yourself out of your body and think with another angle. Like if your hippy try thinking like a conservative. There's a harsh call.

No-one said that autobio comics were bad. The complaints were aimed at "self-aware autobio comics" and "autobio comics about nothing except making autobio comics". The very fact that Smbhax and myself chose to highlight particular forms of autobio comics that we find irritating carries, in itself, the implication that we have no inherent objections to autobio comics.

Or, to put it another way, "No, no, you've got it all wrong! Some of my best friends are autobio comics!"
xwhy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traitorfish wrote:
smbhax.com wrote:

Not quite the same thing, but I'm "not a fan", as it were, of autobio comics in which all the creator-slash-star ever seems to do is sit around and make autobio comics, probably about making autobio comics (and presumably continued ad nauseum).

I've done this and then made fun of this on a separate occasion. It wasn't quite an "Itchy & Scratchy" thing, but it was one step removed from me, so it let tell a joke that I might otherwise have passed on. Sadly, I do have to temper my humor a bit because people around a school (and sometimes, parents) can lack a sense of humor or easily offend.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellbound Crew wrote:
*Also on this list, did anyone mention bad lettering. What's it going to take to put some effort into that sh*t?.

Liking typography. Which, contrary to the fact that I scream every time I see Comic Sans and Brush Script and Papyrus in real life, and point at Helvectia, I don't actually like it. Much. But some people don't even TRY.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typography haaaaard. Which is why most people don't try.

I look at my own recent comics and think "WAIT I KNOW BETTER THAN THIS. I'VE KNOWN BETTER"

Also, Helvetica is all over road and highway signs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourth-wall humor generally irks me. If the work itself is so good that it can actually pull off behaving like a living, self-aware organism, it works. The other 90% of the time, fouth-wall humor is just jarring and not funny. I like to be immersed in what I'm reading; if you destroy that feeling for the sake of a joke it better be a darned good joke.

Also, I'd like to agree with the people who don't like the first strips of a comic to be about the characters discussing being in a comic. This goes hand-in-hand with the fourth wall thing, only it's worse because this early in the strip I haven't had a chance to learn to like you enough to forgive a few stupid jokes.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alohilani wrote:
Also, I'd like to agree with the people who don't like the first strips of a comic to be about the characters discussing being in a comic. This goes hand-in-hand with the fourth wall thing, only it's worse because this early in the strip I haven't had a chance to learn to like you enough to forgive a few stupid jokes.

I'll forgive that if I like the art, either the current or the present art. And usually I'll give it a few strips anyway, but it does annoy me. See, everything that does annoy me, I will forgive if there's a good reason to keep going. My current annoyance is page-style comics with the previous/next buttons ABOVE the comic and not below. Oogh, I hate having to go 'scrollllll down... scrolll back up to advance'. And the comic I'm reading is definately story-based, so there's no excuse like 'well, no one's going to read through the archive anyway' here. What annoys me even more is that the page combined with the header is just long enough that I have to scroll down to read it, and then the page is just long enough that I have to scroll back up to reach the top button. If I could reach the itty bitty teeny button without scrolling back up, fine, but no! This is annoying and I'm only putting up because the story and art are both solid!

To make matters worse, that's the second one I've encountered recently. D:<

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
My current annoyance is page-style comics with the previous/next buttons ABOVE the comic and not below. Oogh, I hate having to go 'scrollllll down... scrolll back up to advance'. And the comic I'm reading is definately story-based, so there's no excuse like 'well, no one's going to read through the archive anyway' here. What annoys me even more is that the page combined with the header is just long enough that I have to scroll down to read it, and then the page is just long enough that I have to scroll back up to reach the top button. If I could reach the itty bitty teeny button without scrolling back up, fine, but no! This is annoying and I'm only putting up because the story and art are both solid!

...Why do I have the feeling I know what comic you're talking about... if I could only remember!
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might... at least one of said comickers posts here. >_> I click on sigs all the time.

Tiny buttons bug me too. I want to have more than a 10x10 pixel square to click on for the next comic! I like it when you can click the comic page to advance quite a bit. Smile
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self, trim down laser pistol scene.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaygee wrote:
Metruis wrote:
Oogh, I hate having to go 'scrollllll down...

I'm pleading guilty, Your Honour!..... Laughing

What normally turns me off are creators who somehow don't seem to trust their artwork and feel the urge to explain via dialogue what they show in their panels.

You're forgiven, though. You have buttons underneath and your pages are really a treat to look at. Cool I don't mind scrolling down as long as there's buttons underneath and it's not a 1 2 3 strip.

And, I agree. What bugs me even more is the manga trend of using sound effects to explain what's going on. Such as "jump" "hide" "run" as sound effects, etc. Truuust in the artwork. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 5 of 55

Jump to: