TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying things in Webcomics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnypandemic wrote:
1. Blood spurting

Aw man, I bomb on your first item! What's a webcomic without spurting blood?
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe Robinson wrote:
This is one of the reasons my better half insists on us having our logos inside the panels on our comics.

I was keeping mental note of comics that do this but the only ones I can remember now (d'oh) are Dilbert and Air Force Blues. Ah memory, it's the second thing to go. Can't remember what the first is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoŽ Robinson wrote:
This is one of the reasons my better half insists on us having our logos inside the panels on our comics.

I've been thinking on doing that. I have not been consistent in posting a link to my strip on tyhe strip itself either.

Somebody once told be that an Intelligent person learns from his mistakes, but a WISE person learns from the mistakes of others.

I should put the links and logos before my images get stolen. (not that there is too much interest right now in stealing Midtoon)
xwhy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess being worried that something of mine will be stolen is one of the reasons that I put a border around the image and include the logo. It makes cropping a little more difficult.

Some of my earlier strips even had the copyright notice of the logo in a place that made cropping difficult, but that started to get in my own way, so the (C) goes at the bottom now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel so left out. I have no logo. Embarassed
I better make one quick.

@dpat - blood spurting is uncomfortable if it's used frequently on literally every strip. If it's only once or twice, I will understand. Wink
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruling Out All Webcomics Reply with quote

Sylvia wrote:
All right, throw your tomatoes.

SPLAT!

Welcome, I think! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would ever want to steal a webcomic?

Zoe, I never knew Nob T Mouse's round nose was so difficult to draw.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruling Out All Webcomics Reply with quote

Sylvia wrote:
My first post! Here are some things in webcomics that I find annoying: (as you may infer from my list, this list is entirely subjective and should not be used as a guide)

How could anyone take your list as a guide, it sounds like you hate almost every webcomic in existence! Laughing I mean, if manga didn't rule out 80% of all comics, fantasy, dark, and geek rule out the rest. And if there were any left, the fact that you either hate graphic novels or gag-a-day probably kills every other comic in existence ever. Laughing I can't think of one comic I've read that you would like.

Mind you, I haven't read Questionable Content, so maybe it is the one exception. Laughing I thought it was a gag-a-day, but okay... and yes, gag a day strips lack depth. Laughing

I don't know, have I ever posted in here? This is what I don't like.

1) Manga comics that advertise with full color, wonderful painty pictures. Then you click on the nice, full color, painty picture and end up with crappy lineart. D:

2) Graphic novel writers who think they need to spell things out for their readers. History dumps. Character dumps. Etc.

3) Adorable fluffy chibi/animal/creature/adorable/comic relief characters.

4) Giant watermarks.

5) Terrible site design. If I have to resize my browser or sidescroll you're probably out of luck unless your comic is AMAZING.

6) Reading through an archive and predicting every plot point before it ever happens. (siiiigh)
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaron wrote:
You know what I find annoying about webcomics?

Webcomics.

Webcomics are OK, it's the goddamn artists that drive me nuts! With their complaints!
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee Pot wrote:

I always think it's interesting that this argument always comes up against manga, when there are plenty of artists out there who are copycatting other style. There were a million XXXTREME Liefeld copycats in the 90s. There's a whole pack of webcomics out there that copy the "new retro-style characters," (as that scholar of badly stealing styles, Christopher Hart, calls it) that a lot of cartoons are using these days.

Yeah, those suck too.

I find that formulas get boring after a while, and webmanga tends to be very formulaic. The people who tend to make it are younger artists and they're still stuck in that phase where you want to make your own Naruto or your own Lord of the Rings or whatever. Other formulas get old too. I can't stand Penny Arcade clones, for example. They just enrage me. I don't mind manga-influenced stuff that is not formulaic -- Amy Kim Ganter's stuff, for example, or No Rest For the Wicked. Of course, some non-generic styles are badly designed, and they just get tossed in the "bad art" bin.
^_^

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee Pot wrote:
When writing a novel, you should ALWAYS have the ending in mind

I know a number of professional novelists who don't, actually.

And I know at least one who starts out with an ending in mind, but never seems to ever get there, she ends up at some other ending instead.

'ALWAYS' is a very dangerous word.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santaroga wrote:
wendyw wrote:
Quote:
A graphic novel is made by its public, by critics and by time.

I think it was this part that Greg was disagreeing with.

A graphic novel has nothing to do with audience, critics or time. It's merely a format. The only differences between a graphic novel and other comics is that a graphic novel is a single story or collection of intertwined stories intended to be published as an individual volume, or if it's too long a collection of volumes, but not as shorter issues.

If I published a long form comic with a definitive ending printed as a single volume of 200 or so pages it would be a graphic novel, even if the rest of the world hated it.

I disagree, because that would mean that self-contained mini-series or even self-contained story-arcs of a long running series, would fall under the definition of graphic novel.

If the mini-series is a self-contained story that first is published as floppies and then collected into one volume, then why wouldn't the collected volume be a graphic novel? That's like saying that A Tale of Two Cities isn't a novel because it was written in installments and first serialized in newspapers and magazines.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santaroga wrote:
Then where does a comic book start and a graphic novel begin?

Really, the problem is all those people who use "graphic novel" to mean "literary stand-alone comic" rather than "self-contained story in one volume". Because when people talk about "comic books" they may be talking about 24-page floppies, or mini-comics, or collections or stand-alone trade paperbacks, which makes the term too general to be of any use if you want to make a distinction.

On the other hand, everyone knows what a novel is, and how it differs from a textbook or short story collection.

And I've never thought of graphic novels as "expensive comic books". I only buy TBPs now because they're cheaper, more durable, easier to find and harder to lose.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santaroga wrote:
munkymu wrote:

And I've never thought of graphic novels as "expensive comic books". I only buy TBPs now because they're cheaper, more durable, easier to find and harder to lose.

But not every TPB is a graphic novel...

Yes. And? Your point here is? That not every TPB *should* be called a graphic novel? I can agree with that.
^_^

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
I think it's less important to have the ending in mind for a prose novel, because editing is so much a part of prose writing. You can get halfway in to your novel and decide you want to do something else, and going back and adding chapters or rearranging scenes or whatever is generally not as painful as what a similar process would be like in comics.

Personally I am planning to revise my graphic novels (by which term I mean a self-contained story arc in a single volume.)

In fact, I already have done a considerable amount of revision. When I went from script to storyboard I revised. And as I go from storyboard to art I'm revising. And when I have the art for Black Flag and the pencils for Scent of Spring done, I will hunt for beta readers, and based on their comments I will revise again.

As I've already gotten enough comments on the first chapter of Black Flag that I have a nice solid idea of what changes I want to make, I'm actually going to redo the first chapter, BEFORE I go looking for more beta readers. That way I can get some idea of how effective my changes are, and can revise again if I need to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 3 of 55

Jump to: