TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying things in Webcomics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AskMeAboutOrcs
Alley Oooooooop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpcline wrote:
anezka wrote:

I want to reiterate grammar and add spelling.

LOL irony

Where?
jpcline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AskMeAboutOrcs wrote:
jpcline wrote:
anezka wrote:

LOL irony

Where?

"add spelling" instead of "bad spelling"....or is add spelling something I've never heard of and the irony is that I was being a smart ass but am really a simpleton?

Last edited by jpcline on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ryan.noriega
Plan Eleven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm worried that this post isn't getting nasty enough, and while I don't want to call anyone out yet, I'd like to blast a genre or two.

I kind of hate comics whose characters are just people. There's only so much you can do, and it just becomes generic. It's a cartoon, which means anything can happen.

As far as readability and gaining an audience, if the comic's premise doesn't jump out to me, I usually skip it. "A guy and his roommate hang out and talk about girls." I can usually guarantee I'll get more entertainment talking to my dog about bones. And he can't talk.

Not being a woman, I can't speak from personal experience, but from a few posts, I hopefully have some people that will agree with me when I say that there are a surprising number of webcomic writers who have never spoken to a woman before.

I also hate most gaming comics, mostly because you have to play that game to get it. So obviously, I'm not in that audience.

I'm gonna go read more comics so I can have more to gripe about.

ryan.noriega
Plan Eleven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpcline wrote:
AskMeAboutOrcs wrote:
jpcline wrote:
anezka wrote:

LOL irony

Where?

add spelling instead of bad spelling....or is add spelling something I've never heard of and the irony is that I was being a smart ass but am really a simpleton?

Imagine someone saying "bad grammar sucks" before "I want to reiterate..." and see if it makes more sense to you.

Doogl McDoog
Blue Dali Person

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Doogl McDoog on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doogl McDoog wrote:

Sites that don't have comic navigation on the home page (I'm actually guilty of that, but it's my host, I swear! If someone knows how to fix it, please tell me!).

Set your link in your signature and anywhere else you promote the comic to http://atomicelementals.smackjeeves.com/comics/ instead of http://atomicelementals.smackjeeves.com/

It's not ideal but it's the only way I know how to get round that.

Blog
Hyena Hell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. I know a thread like this pops up every few months or so, and most of it's beatin' a dead horse... but it's such a guilty pleasure. I love to complain!

1. Autobio comics described as "Whatever random stuff that pops into my head". (Usually the next sentence is "Updated whenever I feel like it.")

You know, random stuff pops into my head, too. What would lead you to believe that I would find your self-absorbed attempts at cleverness more interesting than my own self-absorbed attempts at cleverness?

2. Comics whose ads, icons, or banners grossly misrepresent the art or content of the comic itself.

I'm not talking about a color image that links to a black and white or toned comic of a comparable style and quality. It's more like when I click on a nicely colored, well-drawn ad, and it takes me to some abomination drawn on notebook paper in pencil, that looks like it took the creator ten minutes to do. I understand wanting to "put your best foot forward", but if you can create an attractive ad or banner, then for the love of God put some effort into your comic!

3. Comics whose descriptions are just a laundry list of characters. (Usually ending with "...and a half-naked catgirl!", or some variation to that effect.)

Yeah, but what do these characters do? What's your story about? What makes it different from 200 other comics with a zany cast of unlikely and disparate characters? It just takes like, one more sentence to contextualize it, really.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what annoys me the most is that all of the webcomics that blatantly exemplify all of these god-awful traits seem to flourish and make gobs of money LOL
Hyena Hell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doogl McDoog wrote:
plughead wrote:
9 ) Black and white comics that advertise in colour: bait & switch

]:> My ad for AE is in color, but i never advertise that the comic is in color as well. I think black and white ads are a bad idea; imagine if every ad was in BW. They would all look the same. Color ads reel people in. It's not necessarily misleading.

Well, I agree to an extent- my own ads aren't in color; like i said above, i don't want to misrepresent my content just to get cheap hits or pump up my stats.

But how many B & W ads do you honestly see? I'd like to think that they actually stand out amongst all the color, but... yeah, my CTR for even my most successful ads is less than 0.5%, so obviously that isn't the case! B & W ads don't get nearly as many clicks as color. Period.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan.noriega wrote:
I kind of hate comics whose characters are just people. There's only so much you can do, and it just becomes generic. It's a cartoon, which means anything can happen.

Haha, what? If someone can't make a comic about just people interesting, then something's wrong. I don't think you necessarily need a talking hamster to move a story along.

If it's a cartoon, as you say, you can do ANYTHING with a human cast as well. I don't know why you'd have to limit them to reality in the way they look or act.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyena Hell wrote:
B & W ads don't get nearly as many clicks as color

That's the sad reality, but there's something to be said for "truth in advertising".

How many webcomics advertise with full colour, hot chicks? And once you get there, the comic doesn't have those chicks cuz they aren't even that comic's characters, it's all done by a different artist and the art is totally different and in un-colour? Or when B+W comics use their colour CHAPTER PAGE or TITLE PAGE art as advertising art.

An honest ad for a B+W comic might feature the actual and typical B+W art that can be supplemented with maybe either a duotone or spot colour, a colourful background, frame, border and/or type to make it stand out and STILL be true to the product inside the packaging.

But here's an even BETTER idea: full-colour advertising that does NOT feature any art at all is an AWESOME way to stand out AND still not misrepresent itself cuz the ad clicker doesn't have any preconceived notions or expectations.

All ads need to be at least representative of a comic's true content. Though it's always better to underpromise/overdeliver than the other way around.

Hope this helps clarify my stand on the issue. Sorry if I came off as a dick.

: )

Take care

Stef

http://sarahzero.com
ryan.noriega
Plan Eleven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyena Hell wrote:

1. Autobio comics described as "Whatever random stuff that pops into my head". (Usually the next sentence is "Updated whenever I feel like it.")

Aren't all comics based on random stuff that pops into folks's heads? I question that logic for obvious reasons (that's what my comic is). I'm also not a fan of all the zombie bashing (see above), but it is on that list of "Things idiots assume are automatically cool," along with pirates and ninjas. Monkeys to an extent, although I like jpcline's idea of them being test monkeys. The place monkeys show up that bothers me is in band names. I once tried to make a band name based on monkeys, and was thankfully shot down. That was in high school. So whenever a band does it now, I find it juvenile.

enshogirl wrote:
ryan.noriega wrote:

Haha, what? If someone can't make a comic about just people interesting, then something's wrong. I don't think you necessarily need a talking hamster to move a story along.

If it's a cartoon, as you say, you can do ANYTHING with a human cast as well. I don't know why you'd have to limit them to reality in the way they look or act.

I agree with you there, but the rest of what I said was about the premise, and I think it goes along with what Hyena Hell said. What I was hinting at are the comics that are basically about the author and his friends, whose dinnertime conversations must be so much more interesting then my own. And if you disagree, that's fine. Those comics just don't draw my attention.

Last edited by ryan.noriega on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan.noriega wrote:
Aren't all comics based on random stuff that pops into folks's heads?

No.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpcline wrote:
anezka wrote:

I want to reiterate grammar and add spelling (to the list).

LOL irony

Corrected for the context-impaired.
enshogirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan.noriega wrote:

I agree with you there, but the rest of what I said was about the premise, and I think it goes along with what Hyena Hell said. What I was hinting at are the comics that are basically about the author and his friends, whose dinnertime conversations must be so much more interesting then my own. And if you disagree, that's fine. Those comics just don't draw [b[my[/b] attention.

Yeah, the "premise" thing wasn't clear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 2 of 55

Jump to: