TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAMPAIGN: GALAXION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this a bad idea?
Yes.
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
No.
90%
 90%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 21

Varethane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to a con in New Brunswick this weekend, actually... the table spaces there are pretty small, but maybe there's something I could do.... (I've never promoted websites at cons before, so I don't know specifics, but if you guys can give me ideas before tomorrow I may be able to implement them :D)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bring up a good point about limited attention and long form comics. How many of the successful webcomics out there are long form? I suppose Achewood would be one. It's exponentially harder for those of us who do stories. I guess Schlock Mercenary would count too. Still most are gag strips or game console, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
Haha, I worked with Cory Doctorow at Bakka Bookstore (now called Bakka Phoenix), which is a science-fiction specialty bookstore here in Toronto.

Heyy, I know that place!

....They didn't have a book I was looking for. ): (Neither did anywhere else, though, so I suppose I can forgive them. And I'll likely go back there soon...)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Flash template for an outer space shooter. I think. I'd have to read the comic a little more (I read the prologue and part of chapter 1, need to read the rest ahh), but I could probably make something work with one of my Flash game templates when I have time, lol.

In other news, galaxioncomics.com's Alexa ranking is nearly out of the millions! %D Yay! If anybody cares about Alexa rankings. <3
Uses a ruler for everything

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelyfetus wrote:

I honestly hate myself for not reading it all long ago, this comic is damn amazing and even though it has it's moments and has been kind of approached as a romance, I can't help but be taken back by the drama (not just between characters, but general tension between the sweetness and whimsy) and horror. Horror. Of the way we wait one increment a week to find out more on what's going on.

I don't endorse stuff I don't believe in, and I always read the entire archives for any comic I get involved with.

I went through the archive in one day.. at work. Screw the customers, that comic is good and deserves the attention Wink

S*P*Q*R
-I use a ruler for everything.
Senshuu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I love those stats. They just shoot up.

This would be 100% more funny if you were completely oblivious, Ttallan, but it's fun having you along for the ride, too. History will remember this! Since it is ongoing. Galaxion Forever!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm much more inclined to trust the Google numbers of PW, based on my own experiences. To me the best stat there is unique visitors. Either way it looks good.
^_^

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anoroc wrote:
We should turn this into a, kind of, lottery for anyone who enters

I don't know that I have done much that was useful to help ttallen. But what little I have done, was done because I *meant* it. I feel perfectly comfortable going somewhere and saying "hey look, great comic!"

If the random lot falls on someone whose comic forum members don't feel comfortable supporting, I think that won't turn out so well for either the person randomly selected, or the community as a whole.

If we're going to do this (which I think is a great idea) I would like some kind of quality control. And I would like it set up in such a way that it doesn't cause ill feelings.

Which is a bit tricky of course. Nobody likes getting told their comic is sub-par.

Maybe we randomly pick six people off a master list, everyone checks out their comics, and then a private ballot is cast where only the winner is ever revealed. Comics that don't win can have a second chance on a ballot after everyone else has had their first chance, and a third chance when everyone has had their second, etc. Eventually every comic worth promoting ought to have its chance, and hopefully there will always be enough new and improved comics getting added so that we never feel like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Six is just sort of a number grabbed out of a hat, but I'm looking for enough choice that a lot of us can be happy with at least one of the comics offered, and few enough to pick from that we can actually go and check out the ones we aren't familiar with each time the vote comes out, without feeling overly burdened. Keeps it from just turning into a popularity contest.

Although I'd rather have a popularity contest than a straight up lottery.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly you're going to want to pick a strip that has a chance to succeed. Galaxion has something of a history, has won awards and roundly is seen around here as a quality piece of work. That is why it was chosen.

It wouldn't make sense to put this much effort into a comic that is of any less quality. And if people are offended by that, oh well. I would say the amount of comics that this work work for is a pretty low number.

The reason people are getting behind this effort is because of the quality of the strip - and because people know TTallen to be an all around Quality Person(TM). And that helps too.

And the reason people will respond to the effort, which is helping reap benefits, is because of the above.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Mr. Fetus:

Quote:
Somebody who actually deserves it!

So yes, he apparently had some criteria.

More to the point, as stated, the reason this is having any success at all is because of my points made. (At least, that's the way I see it.)
^_^

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marooned wrote:
Frankly you're going to want to pick a strip that has a chance to succeed.

Well, yeah. That's what I was trying to arrange for.

How were you thinking of going about doing it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought your ideas were good. It should be something the community supports - because hey, they're the ones that have to put together the grass roots effort to promote it.

The trick is, somebody has to drive the thing. In this case, LoneyFetus is driving it. I'm not sure he wants to be the perpetual driver.

Maybe you need a group of people to be the drivers - say 3.

I think that probably you want to have community nominations of comics that should even be considered. If people are honest, that list ought to be fairly small.

There's no doubt that people's feelings may get hurt in the process. In order to alleviate that, rule #1 would be no nominating yourself, in my book.

Maybe this needs a new thread.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad - but the fact that you were nominated, I think, speaks for itself Smile
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made Galaxion's button my 'there is no bid yet on this adspace' button for my ProjectWonderful buttons. So if there's no bids, it links to Galaxion. Laughing
Uses a ruler for everything

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestripedone wrote:
What are the chances of getting Weebl's Stuff to mention Galaxion? I always see it in the "friends" section there. Whose friends are they, exactly?

Ash is the webmaster of Weebl's Stuff. He recruited me from the weebl chatroom regulars when he started TWCL. Considering the overwhelming online presence of Ash these days, I think those chances are slim _

S*P*Q*R
-I use a ruler for everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: