TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Action scenes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
james113

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow nice. XD I want to eventually get the new CS package. Flash is the easiest and fastest way to publish swfs it seems. ;/
chasecorbeau

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plughead wrote:
jdalton, the above sample you posted, that's from Akira, isn't it?

Yes, that's Akira. I recognize the characters. That page makes me want to go out and get the graphic novels! Surprised

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chasecorbeau wrote:
I recognize the characters

Ha ha, yeah, I recognized the bikes and the action! Man, I think that DVD is must-have status... I haven't seen it in a really long time.

TETSUO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care

Stef

http://sarahzero.com
munkymu
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chasecorbeau wrote:
plughead wrote:
jdalton, the above sample you posted, that's from Akira, isn't it?

Yes, that's Akira. I recognize the characters. That page makes me want to go out and get the graphic novels! Surprised

You should! They're really good. Akira and Blade of the Immortal are completely worth it.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glitchcraft wrote:
Well maybe stupid people like me like movies better! It hurts when I use my brain! Sad

Seriously, I see what you mean; comics can pull you in deeper than movies sometimes.
On the other hand, sometimes a really good action scene in a movie just can't be recreated into any other medium.

A *good* movie still requires a lot of brain power to make sense of what's going on on the screen, identify with the characters and so on, heck even a bad movie needs that really, but comics require brainpower to make the stuff that's happening happen at all. It's the difference between listening to someone tell you a story and reading one in a book. For the former you need to be a normal competent human who speaks the same language as the storyteller, for the latter you have to go to school and learn how to read. Anyone can learn how to read, but not without using their brain.

Man, I totally want to see this movie! Kungfu Hustle, huh? I'll look for it.

S*P*Q*R
Koad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plughead wrote:
Kung Fu Hustle is one of the ultimate action films I've ever seen.
I always thought of Kung Fu Hustle as more of a comedy than an action film (the main character is played by a comedian). Granted, there is a lot of physical humor and many of the jokes were based on old kung fu movies. For hard core kung fu-type action I'd recommend Jet Li's Once Upon a Time in China series.
Blue Dali Person

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Doogl McDoog on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
plughead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, Kung Fu Hustle is a SICK action/comedy/drama and touching romance, all in one. I actually saw KFH BEFORE Shaolin Soccer, so it was a real treat to see Chow give a similarly-rewarding treatment to SS.

Take care

Stef

Doogl McDoog
Blue Dali Person

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Doogl McDoog on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
plughead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, glitchcraft

Shaolin Soccer is funny, awesome, actiony and a pretty touching human drama as well... highly recommended!

Take care

Stef

Koad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glitchcraft wrote:
I thought to myself, "Wow! That's cool!" much more than I thought, "Haha! That's funny!"

Kung Fu Hustle was certainly meant to be a comedy, but I don't think most of the jokes translate very well into English. In fact a good amount of the jokes are probably missed even by Chinese-speakers younger than 40. The movie is a parody of kung fu movies that were popular in Hong Kong back in the 70's, and a lot of the jokes rely on viewers being familiar with the original movies (or at least with the general culture and lingo of old-school kung fu movies). I watched Kung Fu Hustle with my parents, and they were getting a lot more of the jokes than I was, which was weird because that almost never happens. It's definitely still a very enjoyable movie regardless of whether you get all the jokes. My wife still liked it, even though she doesn't speak a lick of Chinese, and didn't get most of the jokes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plughead wrote:
jbrown wrote:
The car chase at the end of Battle Royale manga

Hey jbrown, do you have linkage/pics?

I plan to do a SICK car chase later in the SZ story, and I'd really like to see what some of the better ones have done.

I'll have to scan it.

Anyways, the success of action on paper largely depends on the imagination of the reader. It's your job to fill in the time between the panels and even the best draftsman can't emotionally stimulate a reader if they're not willing. Some people breeze through comics in 5 minutes but on average I take 30 minutes to read just a 22 page serial because I literally play out every action in my head.

If panel 1 has a character looking at a key 10 feet away dangling from a door and panel 2 has them holding said key then I imagine in my head that the character first walks over to the key and removes it in the white space between the two panels.

Just a personal quirk but I developed it when I felt disappointed that I was paying 4 bux for 22 pages of talking heads.

Location: Fairview, Capitol City of Rimminion next to the diner and while things go on around us.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Action scenes Reply with quote

jaygeefisher wrote:
(3) Embarassed Not too long ago, I got so frustrated that I bought a set of action figures and a desk light (my stuff is, well, sort of an exercise in neo-noir, means a lot if it depends on the right shadows, shading and inks...)

I'd probably just use the figures for the comic. Embarassed

Twitter Me
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plughead wrote:
Shaolin Soccer is funny, awesome, actiony and a pretty touching human drama as well... highly recommended!

I made the mistake of watching Kung Fu Hustle before trying to watch Shaolin Soccer -- I was so entertained by the former that I just couldn't get into the latter. Both were on YouTube last time I looked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually now that I think of it, I try very hard to do action scenes in Tally Road sometimes Smile and there are some things that are best in comic form...

This is a chase- the female Siamese is running for the truck, has said COME ON! and the dog guy went after her, which was a bad thing. Male Siamese chased the both of them but tripped on a bit of post-apocalyptic industrial debris and went down with an injured paw.

In drawing it, since I can't draw very well for what I'm trying to get away with, I broke up the panels so at the top we have the guy chasing and tripping, and at the bottom is a preview of what he's tripping ON and they coincide at the moment he trips and falls on his face. Things are cropped pretty close to make them more violent, and the guy's left paw-hand goes wide and claws-out as he goes down, which is also expressing the emotion of OUCH! (his ears are laid back to say WAUGH!) and the hand breaks the frame completely just to grab attention to the freeze-frame quality it's supposed to have. 'Third' panel, wolf lady hesitates realizing the cat has fallen down, and 'fourth' panel the female Siamese and dog guy have jumped on the truck and are on their way.

Or in this one, a cat lady is swarming up a sort of telephone pole (safety feature- potential customers being wolf people can't climb trees or wooden poles half as well)-

And then I was completely spent drawing that action and everything else was totally lame talking-head for the next 20 panels Very Happy

The thing about drawing action scenes in any reasonable way is that it's HARD and seriously bereft of any way to repeat yourself and perfect poses by doing them repetitively. I've made little pipe-cleaner models that I sometimes use to try and figure out where limbs go in a complicated pose- for instance http://www.tallyroad.com/t/tallyroad-163.html... but I still struggle horribly with it all. Painters used to be famous for centuries when they were able to do this sort of thing great, and here I am trying to do it daily, for free. Pretty absurd really...

Anyhow, the fundamental thing about action in pictures is that it is action frozen in space. So, unless you rely totally on symbolic means like arrows or whooshes or motion lines, you are at the mercy of your ability to depict something in a way that it looks three-dimensional and solid- if you can't 'feel' the physicality of the thing you can't 'feel' it moving anywhere no matter what cues you supply to tell people what happened. It doesn't mean things have to be photorealistic- some poser comics look way more static than drawn stuff, when they don't have balance and gesture- but you do apparently have to have perspective and rendering enough to give a sensation of visual depth, whatever the art style is.

I'm learning that stuff as fast as I can, and stressing on it pretty hard a lot of the time, but that's because I think it is absolutely fundamental. I don't think you can do action convincingly without visual depth in the picture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: