TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"How NOT To Start a Webcomic"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liliy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, I have other reasons too. Aesthetically, I need/want a bold, rounded STRAIGHT, non-all caps font. It works best with my comic and Comic Sans fits the bill nicely. (Plus, it's my favorite font. Very Happy)

I've experimented with the dialogue fonts at blambot and it looked awful. Most of them are also 'all-caps' fonts which are difficult to read enough on print, let alone on screen. They're also made more for printed marvel/dc style comics - mine definitely does not fit that bill. But to be blunt - it looked horrible.

Metrius wrote:
You should probably have your little story there in your About page, anyway. "It was my favorite font as a child and I wanted to keep it in my project" just so you can direct any haters at it.

I'm pretty sure that's what the "I Love Comic Sans" button I have up was supposed to do. XD But alas.

Now don't get me wrong, I love fonts. I download at least 5-6 fonts every time I visit Dafont.com - I just choose not to use them to letter the normal text in my strip. Razz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you honestly like something (i.e. Comic Sans) then go with it and don't let anyone stop you. Comic Sans is a cute font and I agree with Metruis that it does have its place. Or rather, it should if it didn't suffer from being overused.

I have noticed something odd with comics text though, that doesn't necessarily apply to other text (such as books, magazines, or even online things). And that is that it is unappealing for me to read lowercase letters for the most part. I'm not sure why. I would blame it on my poor eyesight, but this doesn't seem to effect me otherwise. I know it's the norm to write in all caps, mainly because the tails of the letters look cluttered in lowercase. But I think my aversion to lower case is more of a personal thing due to my vision.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liliy wrote:
Ha ha, I have other reasons too. Aesthetically, I need/want a bold, rounded STRAIGHT, non-all caps font. It works best with my comic and Comic Sans fits the bill nicely. (Plus, it's my favorite font. Very Happy)

I've experimented with the dialogue fonts at blambot and it looked awful. Most of them are also 'all-caps' fonts which are difficult to read enough on print, let alone on screen. They're also made more for printed marvel/dc style comics - mine definitely does not fit that bill. But to be blunt - it looked horrible.

Ahhh I was fretting over pretty much this a few months ago. D: Somebody pointed out that I was using Comic Sans in my comic, so I went off looking for a different font to use, but the only free ones I could find that weren't all-caps or way too scrawly/cursive/tidy/eccentric might as well have been clones of Comic Sans. I even tried hand-lettering at one point, but gave it up after one page (and typeset said page after scanning anyway) because even when I'm trying to be neat my writing is illegible. So in the end I just went for one of the clones.

Maybe it's just my lack of training showing here, but even though I'm no longer technically using Comic Sans, I don't feel that it's made any tangible improvement to my finished pages. It didn't make them any worse either, though, so I'll stick with my current font for the time being. XD
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liliy wrote:
Taking that in mind - what was wrong with me using comic sans?

Ultimately the answer to that question depends on what your intentions are with your comic. I once nearly lost a job because of the crummy font I was using (no, it wasn't Comic Sans, but it was crummy). The people who care about fonts are the ones in charge of the (publishing) industry. If you don't care what these people think, by all means, ignore any internet naysayers and use any font you like.

Though I hear you on the need for a small-caps font. They are damn hard to find! *glares at Blambot*

S*P*Q*R
plughead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdalton wrote:
... the need for a small-caps font

One way to simulate this effect with a standard-height font is to increase the leading (the physical amount of space between baselines). To anyone who may not know, "baseline" refers to the imaginary line upon which the letters sit.

Also, slightly reducing the amount of kerning (the physical amount of space between letters) helps readability, particularly with sans serif fonts.

Typography is a fascinating, exciting, hardcore interest of mine that I try to explode in SZ.

The more I play with type, the more ideas I'm able to express... type is an incredibly profound tool to move people... there's few things in life greater than the power of the written word.

Take care

Stef

http://sarahzero.com
LunarZero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny you mention the all-caps thing Meggyc, 'cause I can't stand traditional uppercase comic fonts, which probably explains why I read so few comics and webcomics. XD

Quote:
The people who care about fonts are the ones in charge of the (publishing) industry.

I think this is one of the problems here. Webcomics are (or should be) created for the screen, and designing for the screen (especially when it comes to typography) is very different from designing for printed material. If your webcomics are meant to be printed (or you're primary goal is to get published) then by all means, design them with printing in mind.

The vast majority of webcomics are meant to be read on screen and will most likely never be printed, though, and creators should take that into consideration. Just because something makes sense and would look good in a printed hard copy doesn't automatically mean it'll be just as good on screen. Serif fonts are the most common example; in print, serif fonts are the standard for any large body of text. On screen, it's the exact opposite. Comics aren't magically exempt from these guidelines; you need to consider your primary medium.
Meggyc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LunarZero wrote:
It's funny you mention the all-caps thing Meggyc, 'cause I can't stand traditional uppercase comic fonts, which probably explains why I read so few comics and webcomics. XD

Yeah, I can see how all-caps could be annoying as well. I mean, it could come off like yelling on some kind of psychological level. That or it could simply look weird. I guess it depends on the comic and how they use the typography as well.

Though really, typography is a very small thing to me. It's not a deal breaker if I don't like the type. It's the comic itself that really matters, not something as minuscule as font.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can understand the desire to use lower case letters, and Blambot does fall short there, actually, most fonts designed for comics lettering do, it's hard to break decades of tradition, lowercase letters only became popular in comics fairly recently (and the pendulum is swinging back towards all-caps). That's one reason I finally decided to buy Cloud Splitter. (that, and it has European characters, since several names in my story are based on Finnish and old Norse. And auto-ligatures, and I really liked it when it's been used in the X books) but now that I have it and am playing around with things, I think I will end up going all-caps with whispers and such in lower case.

Though Mighty Zeo is a good BB lowercase free font if you don't need European characters, or the Komika family for a non-BB font that does have european characters. Post human from Teabeer is good too, but no European. The latest BB font, Silver Age is a great one if you want a more traditional look, and it does come with lowercase and european characters, but you have to be ok with paying 30 dollars. The nice thing about the pay fonts though is that not so many people use them, and the cost isn't really that much (especially when you compare to some of Comicraft's prices).

Last edited by Raye on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:25 am; edited 3 times in total
joedecie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ink my letters by hand. This doesn't take long to do, quicker than opening up your favourite drawing program and doing it there. If you're half decent at drawing I should imagine you should be able to turn your hand to a variety of scripts.

I guess if you want conformity you can then use one of the font making programs out there to turn your chosen style into typeable type. This would be quite time consuming, but I've seen it done to great effect. There are even some free programs to do this.
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: changed my mind.

Last edited by dpat57 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kallisti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, back to the original point again... not that this Comic Sans love/hate fest hasn't been interesting... but let's keep it on fonts in general. What sort of things make fonts bad choices? I'd think:

Readability - how well your readers can, you know, read it.
Scalability - how well it sizes up and down, depending on use
Rights Management - do you own it? Do you have to in order to use it? What will happen if you want to print and sell at some point down the line?
Extended character support - What characters might you need? Do any of your n's have rock umlauts?
Commonality - Is this a font everyone and their brother is using? Or, more specifically, is this a font someone famous is using that you'll be compared to/acused of stealing/copying it from?

Any other points I should hit upon for the "choosing a font" subsection?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fonts don't seem to have bolds and italics. Big bummer when you're not on photoshop and can't fake it.

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
anoroc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-height would be a factor. Fonts with a small X-height become very hard to read. I think this is one of the reasons why comic fonts with all caps are more popular. It's easier to read at smaller size,regardless of it being all-caps (which can, sometimes, be harder to read)
Blue Dali Person

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Doogl McDoog on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Meggyc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like hand lettering and it really doesn't take much time to do. I'm still working on my handwriting and legibility, but I think it's rewarding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: