TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Lame Champion' Comics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LameChampion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: 'Lame Champion' Comics? Reply with quote

http://lamechampion.blogspot.com

Hi all,

I just registered on the forums.

So I started a webcomic in order to rant/rave/joke about being a disabled person. I developed a small audience and experimented with different drawing styles. What I ended up with, for better or worse, was Lame Champion Comics.

It's a blog site as of yet. Also, the artwork is handdrawn and then scanned.

I'd love some opinions and criticisms/comments from people who've been doing this stuff a lot longer.

Thanks!

Mark
GlenGoldentree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the art on your most recent comics is fan-freaking-tastic! It reminds me a little bit of "Crap I drew on My Lunch Break" by Jin Wicked. You have a real gift for that black and white ink drawing.

I didn't get all of the jokes, or think that a lot of them were very funny. But I did get and enjoy the vast majority of them. I guess that's going to be the case with any comic, though. So anyway, I think you are on the right track there as well.

Great comic! It could definately benefit from a proper website. And even on a wide format monitor, I had to scroll both horizontal as well as vertical to read the comics, which is kind of annoying. If the comic wasn't so good I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Tiirikka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen speak words of truth: good comic, just hard to read like that. maybe you should get a other comic host? I got mine hosted in smackjeeves.com, I heard that drunkduck is good two and there is plenty of others too, host like that would make your comic easier to read. ^^ But yeah, your comic is wicked!

- beware of the typos of dysletic finn! BUHAA! -
jonasdiego

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great start. Try Drunk Duck or Smack Jeeves for hosting your comic. your blog reminds me of the time when I did something similar for my own webcomics. Smile
LameChampion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, and your advice.

About the humour - yeah, I'm still finding my feet as far as this goes. I guess I'm not that fussed about laughs per minute; most of the stuff I enjoy personally doesn't always make me laugh out loud, but does make me go 'wow that's clever and a good story'. 'American Splendor' is a good example.

Thanks for the advice about the web hosting. I've tried both sites, and I much prefer the potential of Smack Jeeves. The colour scheme is right, as is the 'mood' of the site.

My main problem right now is that I don't know HTML. In order for me to do the web hosting thing, I'd need to know it. And I'm such a perfectionist art-wise, I'd need to know it well before I created a template. I'm just worried I couldn't produce a lovely template yet, and I won't settle for 'a bit shit'.

Blogger had some ready-made templates, and the one I'm using at the moment really suited the look and feel of my cartoons. If I knew how to replicate that myself, I would consider creating a 'real' website. But as I don't....

I dunno, what does everyone think? Shall I just throw myself whole-heartedly into a vortex of HTML education? I fear what might happen.
GlenGoldentree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTML is not that tough to learn, really. If you have a decent HTML editor, like Frontpage or Dreamweaver, there are a lot of tools built in to help you achieve a stylistic look. It's really just a matter of learning how to use the software. Any of the fancier things usually have a hundred tutorials on the web.

So, yeah, I would wholeheartedly recommend learning HTML and getting yourself a real website. Because right now you have this great comic and a website that will pretty much guarantee that most people won't give it a chance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: