TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insane Romance From Hell!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brock

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Insane Romance From Hell!! Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm hoping you'll check out the first SuperFogeys arc, "Insane Romance From Hell!!"

Here's a link to go to the first SuperFogeys strip and you can just click through them from there all the way to strip 28 where this first storyline just wrapped up:

The SuperFogeys Chapter 1 - Insane Romance From Hell!!

Anyways, would love to hear any feedback or advice you all have on how the strip is progressing.
Brock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Will no one hear my call? Reply with quote

Anyone? No? Ah, well.

No worries. I will only shamelessly bump once.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I've been neglecting my backlog of blatant opinionizing. I've commented on your comic before. That archive's issue I commented on last time is a serious thing because I just did it again.

Right now, the header looks like it's for your comic, so when I click on it, instead of going to your archives, I go to a collective archive place.

I know you don't want to remove the archive button/header at the top of your page, but try putting in a seperator bar. Copy the pixel-strips header, make your own similar header, and post that imediately below their header.

That way, when people see two headers they'll think "Golly gee, two headers, one must be for the comic, one must be for some sort of comic alliance!" That should help fix the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, if you don't get posts on here, it means your strip ain't terrible. Wink Everyone's ready to pounce on the terrible stuff. Wink

I kinda like it! Just had a read through the archives: the art is decent, the characters are kinda sweet, the humour made me smile, (which is the most any gag strip ever gets out of me... Wink) and the idea seems to be original n quirky.

Crits - get your archives sorted out...only the first part of each link is clickable, I almost thought it was a list of 'yet to come' episodes, and were it not for my moving the mouse a bit... Wink Make the whole line a link and maybe put the numbers (episode/strip 1, 2 etc) at the beginning.

The only other thing that bugs me is the use of italics and bold in the dialogue...as someone who's become completely fed up with this through reading the Dreamland Chronicles...it really does tend to grate and read awkwardly. Your jokes are pretty good as they are, you don't need to highlight them... Wink

But, overall, a promising start. I'll keep an eye on it - and I love Spy Gal Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Thanks for the great critiques Reply with quote

I really appreciate you both taking the time to comment on the strip now that it's finished its first arc.

I feel your frustration when it comes to the archiving of the strips. Unfortunately, there just isn't anything I can do about the presentation. Pixelstrips is a site that was around long before I came to it and I have no control over any of the things you mentioned in your comments. All I am able to do is upload a strip and give it a description. Everything else is out of my hands. Still, I think I will be talking to the site admin soon to see if there's anything that can be done to clean things up a bit.

As for the comments on the strip itself...thanks! Saying that the SuperFogeys brought a smile to your face is exactly the reaction I'm hoping for. My strip isn't earth-shattering stuff, just (hopefully) funny characters in a (hopefully) funny setting.

As for the bolding of the text...that's one I haven't heard before. I can see where it would be annoying if the bolds are stopping you dead in your tracks as you read. I've always liked them in comics because I've never processed them the way ElnJJ seems to. I don't even realize it when they're there. Their impact is much more sublimal for me.

The real reason I employ them isn't to place emphasis on the joke, but to break the text up so it doesn't all "turn gray/" It's a design choice.

Still, you comments have caused me to rethink my method of doing it. Why, the strip I lettered just this morning (to be posted this coming Thursday) has much less frequent use of the bold lettering.

Webcomicking is something I'm still learning about, so I really do appreciate the comments. Thanks a bunch.
ElnJJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, you're a good one - nice strip n you take crits. If you want some ad free fully customisable webspace, (no cost or whatnot, I just have lotsa free space. Smile) PM or email me, I can fix you up. Smile Though I don't know if pixelstrips is the work of friends of yours or something that gains a lot of exposure for your strip, so I understand if you wanna stay there. Smile

I'm primarily a writer and English degree graduate, so I kinda have an eye for graphology. Anything erratic tends to strike me much more than it would others, (I imagine,) but I think your approach of simply toning it down is the ideal compromise. Smile

Also, if you can get me a 200x40 banner (see my links pages,) I'd be happy to do an exchange with you. Smile

Best of luck with your next story arc, I'm watching. ^_____^

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElnJJ,

Wow. That's extremely generous of you. I would love to do an exchange. I love your stuff, love the style. How can I get the banner to you? I'm not really sure how to code it to make it clickable back to me, so can I just give you the banner and ask you to link it for me? I'm assuming you have some code I can copy/paste for yours.

As for Pixelstrips. It kind of went like this:

1. I knew nothing about webcomics.

2. I started a comic strip on my MySpace blog to see if I could do it.

3. It got wildly popular.

4. I googled "webcomic hosting sites" and Pixelstrips was one of the first that popped up.

5. I submitted to Pixelstrips to see if they would include me on their site.

6. They did.

The End

SuperFogeys is only about 6 months old, but I love doing it and I feel like I'm getting better at it as time wears on.

I haven't given any great thought to getting the SuperFogeys their own site, but I imagine that's something I'll want to do eventually if I really want it to take off. Right now, Pixelstrips has been good to me and that's been how I've gotten eyeballs on it.

Your offer is very generous, and if you don't mind I'd like to take a rain check on it because I do think that's something I'll want to do eventually.

Sound good?
ElnJJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah rain checks are fine by me. ^^ Course, meanwhilst, I could also set you up with an independent mirror site if you want. Smile

Like I said, get a 200 x 40 banner image, and email it to me (kitkatchunkies@hotmail.com) and I'll send you a return banner and the necessary code-y stuff. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. Sounds like a plan. I'll get that to you tomorrow.

Help me out here...what exactly is an independent mirror site?
Sean C

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An independent miror site is just another site where you would host your comic. This helps prevent an overwhelming amount of traffic to your main site, and this one ElnJJ is offering should give you some more control over how you present your work, i.e. how the site looks and operates. It's mighty kind of her to do that.

As for the strip, I love it, I'm bookmarking it, and it's very likely the next comic I write up over at Bomb Shelter Comics and Way of the Geek.
Brock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a mirror site just feeds off of what I have going on over at Pixelstrips? Is that how it works?

SuperFogeys is also set up over at HumorousMaximus.com, but they're kind of a newer site and the control is still forthcoming there. Eventually they'll have blogs and such and I think that sort of thing would be really useful. Right now, the SuperFogeys MySpace Group is the only way I have to reach out to fans. It would be nice to have another place to do that because not everyone is on MySpace (it only seems like it).

Sean, your enthusiasm and support is appreciated. I can't wait to see your write-ups. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. Thank you so much for liking the strip!
Sean C

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost. A mirror site is just another site where you post your comics, kind of like a second home. Some people who host their comics on Drunkduck, a free comic hosting service, will have their own site where they post thier comics. It's kind of like owning two houses and living in both of them.
Brock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, then excuse me for being a dunce here--but how would that be different from what ElnJJ first offered to me?

I hope this isn't coming off as ungrateful. I'm totally blown away by the offer! I just have some loyalty issues and I want to make sure I wouldn't be taking anything away from Pixelstrips.
ElnJJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically the same thing - only with DrunkDuck/Comic Genesis you get ads on your pages, but you join a webcomic based community which as Sean said, can split your traffic and also perhaps help with comic exposure.

What I've offered is the same thing, only ad free - you could duplicate your entire website somewhere else - of course you would also be able to leave it on pixel strips - but this would allow you to have another version that is more customisable, (to which, say, you could direct people who found the current archive set up annoying... Wink) I can help you out with coding if you like and give you ftp access, then it'd be a case of experimenting. Smile But it's entirely up to you. Smile

PS. Sean - any chance you'd do a write up for The Broken Mirror sometime? Wink Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for walking me through it. Yeah, that sounds really cool. It seems clear that there's a certain audience that would prefer an easier-to-navigate set-up. I can't thank you enough, ElnJJ (must find out your real first name) for being so kind to me.

I'll PM you with that banner and we can hash this out. I'm definitely going to need help with the coding as I am HTML illiterate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: