TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've built small webcomic database

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrknedla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: I've built small webcomic database Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I've built this website some time ago in my spare time. It's called Webcomic Zone.

It's daily updated webcomic database - it periodically checks for new episodes and marks them as "unread" so you don't have to remember to visit 8 different sites every day.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you use it? Any ideas? Improvements?

Thanks!
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a webcomic author, I'm not too keen on the extent to which your site overlays someone else's site, essentially replacing their navigation buttons with your own.

I've seen other webcomic browser sites that load a webcomic site in what is more or less a separate frame, which bothered me less. Also, those always had a button in their own frame's UI that would remove their site entirely, sending you to the webcomic site itself. Yours doesn't seem to offer that--I couldn't find a way to remove your UI and just be on the webcomic site.

Although I did notice that (this was browsing Perry Bible Fellowship through your site) if I browsed using the PBF comic navigation buttons instead of yours, when I went back to your site, it didn't have the other comic pages I browsed to the the PBF controls marked as "read." This could, I suppose, be a little confusing to someone trying to make use of your unread/read flagging.

Also confusing is the date you list for each webcomic page--in the two comics I looked at, each comic page was listed with the same date. The way the date is presented, it looks like it's meant to be the date on which that page's comic appeared--but obviously, that isn't working, because those comic pages were not originally published on the same date.

Oh, and you're using logo artwork and low-res page artwork from the webcomics in the thumbnails and page previews on your own site. If that's without the permission of the respective webcomic authors, that isn't super cool.

Your "Find comic or episode" search function seems to time out ("Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete") if I type a word (or gibberish) into it for which it has no matches ( http://webcomic.zone/?s=zahalh , for instance).

It's difficult to tell how the entries on your "Most recent episodes" page are sorted; there are comics dated 2016 mixed in with comics dated from the last few days, and even those recent ones go in strange order. For instance, the top of the list currently goes

March 28, 2018
March 31, 2018
October 12, 2016
March 30, 2018

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the reply!

Quote:
I'm not too keen on the extent to which your site overlays someone else's site

The idea was to unify the prev|next navigation, because I often found it confusing. I try to maximize the other site content as much as possible while still offering the main navigation. Maybe it would help if I made it more minimal?

Quote:
those always had a button in their own frame's UI that would remove their site entirely

Sounds good, will add that!

Quote:
it didn't have the other comic pages I browsed to the the PBF controls marked as "read

True, the site now recognizes a visit only by the "native" navigation. But it should be doable to detect even if you click prev|next in the frame. Will add that.

Quote:
Also confusing is the date you list for each webcomic page

It's a date when the issue was added to the database, not originally released. It's often not possible to detect, because not everyone is publishing a date along with the issue itself.

Quote:
you're using logo artwork and low-res page artwork from the webcomics in the thumbnails

I'm trying to pixelate it as much as possible, so you have to visit the original comic page itself. Maybe this would be better approach?

Quote:
search function seems to time out

Will look into it, thanks Smile

Quote:
It's difficult to tell how the entries on your "Most recent episodes" page are sorted

They idea was to display the last episode from every comic - a quick overview. Otherwise one comic could fill the whole page. I will add some note no the header.

Again, thanks! I will gladly hear more opinions.
REDemptioncomic2017

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea, provided those bugs can get worked out.
Polyak Attila

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't visited these forums for a while. This database seems to be dead already. The link in op is a redirect unfortunately to a different site, which I assume is your site and it claim that webcomic zone is offline as it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: