TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm feeling all nostalgic and stuff. Anyone remember me?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
f2x

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: I'm feeling all nostalgic and stuff. Anyone remember me? Reply with quote

Some time ago... I dunno... 2004 maybe? Yeah, it's been a while. I started hanging around this site... Of course back then the forum was... different. I remember when it got upgraded to this new thing, I ran off and joined the circus or some crazy stuff like that, then I came back and things were cool for a while, but somehow my account got lost...

Anyway, the other day I happened to be looking through some of my old bookmarks when I stumbled upon this one. Wouldn't you know it, I clicked on it and got some kind of database error... So I tried again tonight, and lo and behold TWCL is still alive and kicking.

Me too BTW.

Oh, in case you didn't know, I am f2x. Been going by that for years now... I run a site called Flush Twice. Maybe you've heard of it... Somehow I doubt it, but that's how it goes.

So I don't want to bore you anymore than necessary. I know my 15 minutes of fame ran out long ago. I just stopped in to see if any of the old gang still lurked around this place.

Glad to see TWCL is still here...

Could have updated it or something... It feels like W. is still in office.

Stay frosty,
-f2x
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the forum! : D

I'm just a dirty '09er. A bunch of old accounts and posts got lost in a "glitch" back in 2015.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
I'm just a dirty '09er.

A "dirty '09er"? Is that like a thing? I mean, hanging around a forum for 8 years deserves a few mad props, and being called dirty isn't exactly a respectful designation. I just took a look at smbhax.com, and your work is impressive. Are those actual paintings or is it some kind of digital wizardry? Either way, great job.

So I take it that you're the current unofficial welcoming committee? Does anyone else come out to greet, or is it just you, me, spambots, and other occasional wanderers who thought to say, "Hi," in the hope of discovering like minded souls?

smbhax.com wrote:
A bunch of old accounts and posts got lost in a "glitch" back in 2015.

I'm assuming that nothing of value was lost?

Pax,
-f2x
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vital, vital information people need to know about webcomics was irretrievably lost! : ooo Also, something of a small history of web snarking as it relates to webcomics, probably.

There might be a few other entities showing up in a greeting thread, you never know. ; )

My stuff is physical watercolor, yeah. Way back when I started it was digital, but I ended up trying a variety of different things and watercolor is where I've stuck for a while. Thanks for the kind words! : )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
Vital, vital information people need to know about webcomics was irretrievably lost!

Actually I still feel that people who start a webcomic should receive a care package and a orientation class. This video nails it pretty good and should be required viewing by every aspiring webcomic creator. If there were a school that would help comic creators to improve their work, I'd seriously consider enrolling myself. I still just make it up as I go along... It would be nice if there were some "vital information" out there I could draw on. (pun intended)

smbhax.com wrote:
Also, something of a small history of web snarking as it relates to webcomics, probably.

Web snarking? That pretty much described me. I was more or less an ass half the time, and a bore the other half. It was a soul crushing experience to finally realize that no one was a fan of it. Good riddance to that rubbish. Of few other spots on the internet could use a "glitch" or two.

smbhax.com wrote:
There might be a few other entities showing up in a greeting thread, you never know. ; )

I await their arrival with bated breath. Then again, once I recover from my sciatica and return to my day job, I'll probably up and vanish again.

smbhax.com wrote:
My stuff is physical watercolor, yeah. Way back when I started it was digital, but I ended up trying a variety of different things and watercolor is where I've stuck for a while. Thanks for the kind words! : )

Wow. If you don't mind my asking, what size paper do you use? I'm just envisioning a cluttered studio with stack after stack of 18x24's piled on top of makeshift tables composed of saw horses and old doors.The smell of pastels and cold damp cement permeate the air as the light steams in through a wall made of dusty single pane glass. An easel stands in the light with a sound resolve to only accept brush strokes from one who is truly worthy. That's real art you're making.

Meanwhile, I'm making funny pictures with a keyboard and mouse in a living room that smells like microwaved pizza rolls.

Bis später,
-f2x
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I wish my place was that cool. It's just a studio apartment, although I think the building is from the 1920s, so that's sort of cool, but it's well kept up so it isn't all stylishly dank and dusty, although I do my best by being lazy about vacuuming. My pages are 16" x 6.75".
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f2x wrote:
If there were a school that would help comic creators to improve their work, I'd seriously consider enrolling myself. I still just make it up as I go along... It would be nice if there were some "vital information" out there I could draw on. (pun intended)

Well, there's webcomics.com which claims to do that, for instance; these days they're hiding whatever it is they've got behind a paywall.

If you hunt around you'll probably be able to find someone offering video series or online classes or something on making comics. My favorite one of these was someone who made a big fancy site and podcast building himself up as a pro who was gonna sell classes to the privileged few who really wanted to succeed--then his attempt at his own webcomic dried up after a few pages.

So me, I tend to look for info from experienced comic makers whose work I admire. Klaus Jansen's book on inking, for instance, was reassuring. Eh but I guess mostly I just read a lot of comics (currently making my way chronologically through Marvel Unlimited), listen to podcasts, and I have in the past looked up say painting tips on YouTube.

I think there are various Facebook groups and Twitter tags that may be kind of active as far as webcomic making goes... And forums! This one isn't so active these days, but there are fairly active webcomic forums on some of the free hosting sites--comicfury.com's forum springs to mind, and Tapas' forum seems pretty busy these days, although I've only looked at it very briefly.

Art colleges and the like seem to be having more comic-making (the more pretentious ones call them "sequential art" : P) types of courses these days, too, if you're after an actual school setting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what podcasts do you recommend?

I went looking for webcomic podcasts recently and most of what I found, the archives are nice, but they haven't updated for years. Which I suppose is genre-appropriate for a webcomics podcast . . .
f2x

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, been away for a few days. Had to maintain my day job.

smbhax.com wrote:
Art colleges and the like seem to be having more comic-making (the more pretentious ones call them "sequential art" : P) types of courses these days, too, if you're after an actual school setting.

Sequential art, eh? I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for that. Online stuff is often just cheesy pep talks. There's no real feedback, or if they do some sort of correspondence, then it's more or less the insincere "that's great! keep up the good work!" They make you feel warm and fuzzy enough to keep paying them to blow sunshine up your derriere. I'd prefer face to face with a person who isn't a charlatan.

Then again, I've been working on my comic since 2004, it's not your traditional kind of "art", and I don't expect to ever make money on it. Maybe art school is a bit over the top in my case. In any event, it couldn't hurt to check it out if something like that comes to town.

Tibi gratias ago pro responsionis,
-f2x
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlassRain wrote:
Hey, what podcasts do you recommend?

I went looking for webcomic podcasts recently and most of what I found, the archives are nice, but they haven't updated for years. Which I suppose is genre-appropriate for a webcomics podcast . . .

Yeah, there used be a bunch of webcomic podcasts, but the only one I know of that's really still going is Webcomic Alliance

http://webcomicalliance.com/category/podcast/

Aside from that, I listen to some podcasts that are focused more on print comics--but the discussions of writing and art and so on do bear on web-based comics, so anyway I find them useful to a degree (also I guess I still like to feel like I know what's happening in print comics, for some reason : P); I won't dig up all the links but they should come right up if you search in iTunes or whatever:

iFanboy
The Felix Comic Art Podcast
Longbox Review
House to Astonish
The Daily Rios
Comic Geek Speak
Word Balloon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: