TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making the Font Choice for your Comic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steamcraven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Making the Font Choice for your Comic Reply with quote

I'm not really at this stage yet, I'm still in the scripting stage however I became really curious as I was looking over various works and fonts and I wanted to ask a comic artist community what they thought about picking the right font for their comic?

I know a lot of comics default to Comic Sans or Anime Ace, but has anyone tried making their own font for their comic that would be identified and original to their own comic?

If not, how did you determine the best choice for your comic? If it's more dramatic would you want to change the font to separate it from a comedy? What role do fonts and changing fonts (Like in the case of villains having "creepy" or "Dark" fonts in place of the regular comic font) play in your comic?

I'm really thinking about creating my own font, my comic idea is meant to be a little more comedic and cutesy with actually quite a bit of underlying drama, and while I haven't made it to the actual font-choosing stage, I like to jot down anything that can help me in the future as it comes to mind.

Any help would be appreciated! Very Happy Thanks in advance!

~Steam
MarcinKamil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Comic-Sans is not good for anything... comics included. Wink

Of course you can change font settings, like kerning or tracking and make look less like Comic-Sans, but it will still look a bit odd, I think.

I struggled with this for some time because most of the fonts I like are really hard to apply to comics and keep them readable.

I had a moment when I made dialogues by hand, but it resulted time-consuming and hard to deal with when I needed to correct something.

What I finally did - and I think it looks the best - is I used http://www.yourfonts.com/ to create my own font. It is really the easiest way of creating your own font (compared to other programs I found).

This way, in my opinion, has another big advantage: your font is really yours. What I mean is that every comic style is a bit different and so is the
font which should be in accord with the drawing style. If your style permits, you can even use Times New Roman.

More on the subject:

http://forums.tapastic.com/t/choosing-a-font-for-your-comic/840

---
Tigershark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Webletterer BB. I hate to think what my comic would look like if I had to letter everything myself. You can find the font at dafont.
peruviangeek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Product Sans as a font for my webcomics -because my niche is humor-. You can find more at Befonts, it's a nice choice when you want to get something unique.
GlassRain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blambot has a lot of lovely easy-to-read fonts. /not a cartoonist, just a font nerd

The "main" font should be something unobtrusive and easy-to-read. Beyond that it's cool when different text styles are used for effect:

-- Guilded Age takes place in multiple worlds with different art styles, and they all have their own fonts
-- Ozy and Millie has a dragon character who speaks in much fancier lettering than anyone else, which suits his character
-- Leif & Thorn uses the different fonts to indicate which language a character is speaking
-- Schlock Mercenary uses different fonts for certain species, including a computer-y font for AIs

An evil character using a spooky or ominous font is a good choice as long as it's not one of those ornate scary-title fonts. Pretty sure Schlock Mercenary is the strip that had to change one because readers were complaining they couldn't make out the words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum