TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finished, real world setting, female protagonist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seoman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Finished, real world setting, female protagonist Reply with quote

Dear fellow webcomic enthusiasts,

I have recently wanted to share a webcomic with my partner that I had read years ago and that had meant the world to me at the time. Unfortunately I found that my disfunctional brain and subpar googling skills could not produce the name of the loved webcomic.

Therefore I decided to try my luck with the bunch of you and to hope for the best Wink

I will try to describe it as best I can, but I fear that my memory is kind of foggy and that it does not really have such a distinctive story, at least not when summarized:

- It is somewhat of a coming of age story about an american women/girl from a smaller town (?) who is an outsider, because she is smart, artistic, and is not like the 'regular' girls. She has a deep feeling of alienation when it comes to regular culture and the 'normal' lives of the people surrounding her.

- At some point in the story she leaves her birthplace and starts to meander between different cities, places, and social circles. One of the social circles that I remember best has to do with a group of ( a little bit older) guys that come together often to discuss philosophy, who live in a larger american city. One of them is rude, direct, and drawn to the darker and more cynical philosophical greats. As far as I remember he is on the heavy side. I kind of remember that he and the protagonist develop a better relationship over time.

- The story is (almost?) entirely focused on the protagonist and follows her around.

- Most of the characters she meets along the way are well developed and feel like real people.

- She is not particularly pretty, but does have tons of character and that certain something, so that there are always a lot of people that feel drawn to her. She does not dress in a way that would emphasize her feminity. She has long curly dark hair. Her figure is regular.

- the protagonist and most of the people she meets are very progressive. At times you get a close look at some alternative lifestyles and -designs.

- About this one I am not quite sure, but I think she does have romantic relationships/experience with partners of both sexes. Many of the relationships portrayed feel very fragile. Not only hers, but in general. There are time when she tries to stay together with somebody that she really likes, but discovers that her love and affection are not great enough to do so. She feels really crappy about breaking hearts and is not jaded. She also falls in love with people who do not feel the same way about her.

- I kind of remember that she struggles to make a living at certain points in the story and feels that her future is bleak.I also think she is an artist of some sort - a writer I think. About this I am not sure.

- As far as I understand it, it is one of the main struggles of the protagonist to be true to herself, develop in a direction that she can live of her art (?), and does not sacrifice this for the sake of the relationships with the people surrounding her.

- It is very text heavy with a lot of dialogue that can get quite philosophical.

- The art style is somewhat realistic and entirely black and white. It feels a little bit more like a graphic novel than a regular webcomic. The art style is also rather ordinary and no nonsense.

- It is very long. As far as I remember, it was written over a period of 10+ years and has at least over a 1000 pages.

- The story is finished. It had already been finished, when I read it in my first own flat around 2004-2005, I think. My fear is that it could be no longer available...

- I think the name of the webcomic was the same as the protagonists. I am very unsure about this.

- It is not particularly joyful in that the protagonist keeps struggling to find her place in the world till the end (at least I think so). The tone is very honest - at times selfdeprecating and bleak -, but it also has a certain dry sence of humour and a love for life that is admirable.

- Some of the concepts touched and the language used are quite advanced. Since I am not a native speaker the dictionary was my friend at the time.

- It is intelligent, witty, heartbreaking, and I want it back!

I would be very grateful, if you could help me with this!

Best regards,
Seoman
rj_hogan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a lot like Bruno by Christopher Baldwin (remove space) - http:// brunostrip.com/
rj_hogan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S The comic was "finished" some time ago (as much as a comic about someone's life can end short without their demise) but I believe he is re-posting it a page each day - or something like that.

Great comic Smile Quite rare to find something along these lines, I guess they don't appeal to everyone - if you happen to have stumbled across something similar (and are feeling kind) PM me a link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Help! I've lost a comic! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: