TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CreateSpace!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Encifer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: CreateSpace! Reply with quote

I always see questions on print-on-demand services, especially concerning Amazon's CreateSpace, so here's my thoughts!

I've printed all of my books with CreateSpace. Here's my most recent one:

Not a perfect picture, but you can see how colors look on their pages

This book is 220 pages, full color, and costs me $16.25 to print. My previous book is 102 pages and costs $7.99 each, also full color.

The quality is probably as good as you'll get with print on demand. Not to say that's it's the best, but you can only get so much quality out of this kind of service. The covers are really nice and glossy and the paper is a good thickness. It doesn't feel flimsy and cheap at all.

Anyway, I chose CreateSpace for my first book at the time (years and years ago) mostly because it was cheapest. The only real alternative at the time was LuLu. CreateSpace also automatically puts your book for sale on Amazon, which is pretty neat. I've never had any problems with their service. PDF approval times can take as long as 24 hours, but I've found that they've become much quicker in recent years. Shipping times are good and I've never had any issues with the 100 or so books I've ordered from them.

As for e-books, I've republished my first book as an e-book but I'm not an expert on it. You push the "Publish this book of Kindle" button and that's it! I don't think I even had to make any changes to the PDF. It links up with a separate service called "Kindle Direct Publishing." I've only sold, like, one e-book and I don't have a Kindle myself, so I can't really say anything more about it.

Here's what they're store front looks like, and here's a little video showing my CreateSpace books.

Hope this helped!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really helpful, thanks for sharing. They look really good from the photos.

I'm not ready to print my book yet, but I've been looking at Ka-blam. I actually used their page sizes when I was first deciding dimensions for my comic. I've never printed so I don't know much about this, but do you know how flexible their page sizes are?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the full-color book sizes from their site (https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/ > Printing Options)

5 x 8 inches
5.06 x 7.81 inches
5.25 x 8 inches
5.5 x 8.5 inches
6 x 9 inches
6.14 x 9.21 inches
6.69 x 9.61 inches
7 x 10 inches
7.44 x 9.69 inches
7.5 x 9.25 inches
8 x 10 inches
8.25 x 6 inches
8.25 x 8.25 inches
8.5 x 8.5 inches
8.5 x 11 inches

Some of the sizes are listed as "industry standard." You can even use a custom size!

I forget which one mine is... 7.5 x 9.25 I think.
is not a fish.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually print my books in a run of 100 from keness.com - their quality is comparable but they're WAY cheaper (usually around $6/copy for my stuff). They also let you use whatever trim size you want.

The downside is that it's a small business mostly run by one dude who isn't always the most responsive (I get the impression it's at that awkward spot where they get too much business for it being the size it is but not enough business to justify growing).

Well, also, it means not having automatic fulfillment by Amazon, and Amazon's sales support for small-time publishers is abysmal (I really should write a rant about that how many different ways they've screwed me over someday, now that I no longer work for them and don't worry about getting fired).

i am a busy bee
Varethane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh! I've heard of Keness before and was intrigued. So their printing quality was decent? When you say they weren't responsive, did it impact how long it took to fulfil your order, or was the actual printing fairly prompt?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: