TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Webcomic host

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spieltgeist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Webcomic host Reply with quote

Recently I decided that it might be a fun project to host a webcomic hub in the same way of Dumm Comics (Google it. I can't post a link) . Seven webcomics each with a different update day forming a little community that resonates with each other. Although instead of purely ongoing comics I'd like to do a more, webcomic project for each; That is a webcomic with a definitive ending, though I wouldn't be opposed to hosting ongoing comics either. I have a web domain with a rather weak host at the moment that expires in a few months. The intention is to take this domain and re-purpose it into hub that hosts all seven comics and archives those not currently updating. The few months will allow me a great deal of time to research what I need and learn what kind of website and layout I want to build.

The only thing I'm lacking is six other webcomics to run along with my own projects. I have one or two great artists and friend that have talked about running a webcomic for sometime, but nothing concrete. Is this something people might be interested? It would essentially be a free web host for comic creators and a worry free environment to pursue a project.

I'm not looking to jump head first into this, I'm mostly gauging interest on the subject
mcmasters

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always interesting to hear thinking outside the box thinking, so I hope it goes well if it all comes together. My first impression is that it's too much like herding cats; webcomikers are like that and tend towards their own thing as opposed to being limited to things like a particular theme or needing to have a particular definitive ending.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
Spieltgeist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmasters wrote:
My first impression is that it's too much like herding cats; webcomikers are like that and tend towards their own thing as opposed to being limited to things like a particular theme or needing to have a particular definitive ending.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com

Oh- by no means will they need to stick to a singular theme. They're free to do whatever they want with their webcomic, even host it on their own site as well as mine if they really want to. I think I should rephrase that part about the definitive ending. They're free to have a definitive ending, and they don't need to go on forever because that's what I'll be doing with my projects. The idea is they aren't obligated to work for the site forever and ever as a comic slave, but if they have a good idea, even if it's only a few pages long, they're free to put it on the site and generate interest for their projects. As far as the whole flaky nature of webcomic artists I'll probably require they at least have a lengthy or finished script before hand and at least some kind of buffer.
fluffy
is not a fish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumm Comics works as well as it does because it's a collective by professional animators who all know each other and work together and are able to hold themselves to a deadline. In general they're already used to working on tight deadlines, and they enjoy doing comics as a blowing-off-steam-from-work sort of thing; it isn't a second job to them, and when they do slip on their schedule they usually have a hell of a lot of other material they can clean up and post (such as reference sheets or storyboards from their day jobs).

I'm not saying that would be impossible as a thrown-together webcomics collective sort of thing, but it would be... much less probable, say. You'd have to find 5-7 cartoonists who want and are able to stick to a one-post-a-week schedule and that one post needs to fit in with everyone else's schedule, too.

i am a busy bee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum