TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*insert witty, beckoning title here*

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it interesting?
That's amazing!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I would read it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I've seen better.
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
It sucks.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Infinity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: *insert witty, beckoning title here* Reply with quote

Hello! I apologize for the lack of a decent title. I'm so nervous and excited!

I have been working on a webcomic for close on two years now and I need some help/advice/focus group style feedback on the title of my webcomic.

For a year and a half, the title of the webcomic has been simply, Infinity. At first I loved it, but the more I worked on the comic, the more the name seemed incomplete.

Last night while browsing Tumblr, I learned a new word, and it's definition called to me. What I want to hear from you is if the tentative new title for the webcomic, paired with the summary, is interesting, or if the intimidating word would push people away instead of draw them in. Of course, I'd have an explanation of the word on the About page, but if the title deters people from even clicking on the link, the explanation won't do much good.

Without further adieu, I present the webcomic:

Infinity Entelecheia

"In a post-post apocalyptic world, good intentions become an ambitious experiment to create the perfect super human army. After the experiments execute an escape plan, S-0013, E-042, and T-087 find themselves alone, the only survivors. While E-042 and T-087 are focused on finding their purpose in life and battling their personal demons, S-13, a soldier from the labs, is focused on his mission: befriend the remaining experiments so they can be recaptured. However, as time goes on, S-13 struggles with himself to make a decision; win the approval of his superior, the one man he has admired his entire life, or follow his heart and become part of a world much bigger than himself?"

(Entelecheia (or Entelechy): (1) In the philosophy of Aristotle, the condition of a thing whose essence is fully realized; actuality. (2) In some philosophical systems, a vital force that directs an organism toward self-fulfillment.

So, the new title, "Infinity Entelecheia", would mean the continuos, never ending search for self realization and fulfillment.)

Thoughts? Thanks!
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably wouldn't be able to remember how to spell it, so unless you have a very easy to remember URL that means people wouldn't necessarily need to remember how to spell the name that could be a problem.

Blog
Infinity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URLs have already been made, and do not include Entelecheia. It would only show up in the title and images and such, so no one would have to worry about remembering the spelling to get to the webcomic.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly tend to gloss over titles with words like "Entelecheia." You said you just learned this word, I've never heard of it myself - since I don't know it, I don't have any idea what this comic's about just from the title.

I think it's a good sci-fi-ish word for a title, but a bit long and outlandish for my tastes. If I were looking at a list of webcomics and only the titles were listed (such as how TWCL lists comics), this is one I would skip and not think twice.

Another thing to consider is typography. Can you make an interesting banner or logo with "Infinity Entelecheia"?

As far as spelling goes, I'd still argue that it's important from a marketing angle to have a spellable title. If someone's going to recommend the comic to a friend but they can't remember what it's called because it's too long or strange, that's bad.

Personally, I'd try to find a shorter, more familiar synonym if I could. The definition you posted has "Actuality", though I don't think "Infinity Actuality" flows well.

Infinity Realized. Infinite Actuality.
I'm terrible at naming stuff.

Are you already married to "Infinity"? If you really liked Entelecheia, could you drop Infinity? Dropping Infinity doesn't help help with the strangeness of the word, but making the title shorter may make it less intimidating. And if you had a really good advertising banner, maybe you could get away with it.

Though it's a bit late now, I'd have to say I don't really recommend buying a domain before you've decided on the name of the comic. At least they're pretty cheap so if you really change your mind, you could buy another one.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Aside from S-13, we don't know much about these characters. Tell us more?

Do they have short hand names that they use to refer to one another?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: