TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many people are still super active on here?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many posts do you post a day?
None.
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
2-3
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
5+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
10+
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

FlapjackStudios

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: How many people are still super active on here? Reply with quote

How many of you are regulars on here? Some of the posts here are months old. Anyone still active on here?
MindChimera

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come by a few times a day, since I have a few sites I visit out of habit. I've never been the type to make my own topics, so I don't post unless someone else makes a new thread, usually.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drop by a couple of times a week but it's pretty dead nowadays.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I drop in once a week or so, but infrequently find a thread in which to contribute.

Also be sure to read ttallan's
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been talk of re-jump starting things, but nothing much has come of it. This forum was killer in the olde tymes. A lot of the old guard has moved on. I haven't updated my comic for years.

There needs to be a seed, a reason for conversation. From my point of view, I don't need to ask art or process questions from other artists, since I'm not making a comic right now.

No really good topics of random inane conversation come to mind either.

It's a sad fate for what was once the place to be. I come by every now and then, but there isn't much new mahem for me to initiate, and not much old stuff to collaborate with. Maybe I will in a week or two when the art for my current project goes into that phase. (But then again, I'm notorious about breaking deadlines like that).

Really, the question is what do you want to see here? There's lots of experience to help with evaluating art, offering improvements, discussion, technique tips. Lots of experience to discuss the tech-side of webcomics. Everybody loves to give kudos for a job well done or a milestone passed. No one can offer that if someone doesn't ask.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also pop in regularly, hoping to find something to talk about but rarely do. I know a lot of webcomic conversation goes on on Twitter or Facebook or other places like that, but for some reason I still prefer forums.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drop in here a lot, but I rarely see much conversation, which is sad. This was an amazing forum back in the day.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't visit as much as I used to, but I still find my way here more than a few times a week. I just missed the heyday - I remember this place overflowing with posts when I first joined - I couldn't keep up with them. Sadly, many many many forums have seen this kind of drop off with the advent of "social" media. I think forums are vastly superior to that new communication form. But they do require more thought and interactivity beyond "I ate at a new restaurant today" and other such updates that seem to pollute social media sites. It's sad. I keep hoping people will come to their senses and come back to forums, but I haven't seen it. Oh well.
Kail

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still around, I just don't post much unless there's something to say. And these days, there rarely is.

I kind of get the impression that the Wild West days of webcomics are over. Back when I started my comic, there were still new "big" comics popping up occasionally, and old "successful" comics dying off all the time. Everything was very fluid. Nowadays it seems a lot more static. The top comics aren't budging, nobody new has made a really big splash in forever. All the new hotness seems to be in Youtube/Twitch/Blip videos. Speaking for myself, I still draw comics a fair bit, but since I know I won't get feedback if I post them online, I generally don't bother uploading them.

It's a lot less exciting and unpredictable, and I get the feeling that a lot of the old guard have just run out of things to say because there are no new developments for us to discuss. Plus, the problem of nobody's asking for critiques so nobody's giving critiques so nobody's asking for them etc.

Or, at least, that's how it looks to me.
leesargent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm completely brand new so I'm just making my way through the forums!!!
Spencey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendy posted a brilliant topic earlier this year:

http://www.thewebcomiclist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22438&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=85cedb4fed530612e4a60e005a849443

Loads of us contributed suggestions. Myself, I took some time to think about what (in my humble opinion) would re-energise the forum...

Spencey wrote:
It feels like the owner of the TWCL forum has given up on us. He either doesn't have the time or the inclination to fix the bugs which have been around here for so so long. Frankly, if it wasn't for the great contributors here I would be thinking about jumping ship and looking at other forums.

For what it's worth, here's what I, personally, feel would help:

1. Review of the main categories

Webcomic Gubbins? It feels weird that there is just one topic of 'Webcomic Gubbins' to capture *all* the discussions around the principal reason for us being here. Because almost everything is grouped under such a big umbrella nobody wants to post in other threads such as "How-to" because they fear it will be missed. As such some have not been updated in years.

...but imagine, if you will, if you came to the forum and were greeting with:

Introductions
General Ramblings
Webcomic Creators Discussion:
----- Webcomic News
----- Tutorials
----------- Art and Drawing
----------- Writing for Comics
----------- Round-robin Critiques
----- Promotion and Advertising
----- Monetising a Webcomic
----- Conventions
----- Looking for Writer / Artist
----- Statistics
----- Podcasts
----- Webcomic Gubbins (<-- With threads moved as appropriate)
Webcomic Readers Discussion:
----- Looking for a Comic
----- Check Out My Comic (<-- note it is in a webcomic readers area)
Forum Community:
----- Jams and Competitions
----- Crossovers
----- Seasonal Comics (ie everyone posts their Valentines day comic etc)
Site Problems etc

2. More consistent use of 'Sticky' threads. At present Some threads go into 50 pages and don't get stickied, other threads happen to catch the eye of a moderator and get stickied (ie Funny things in webcomics?) or are completely out of date (TWCL Chat? Aren't we all tweeting these days?).

3. It would be better if the Webcomic List itself was better linked to the Forum. Imagine if your Profile page showed your comic's rank. Or showed which comics were run by forum contributors and it gave them better visibility on the main site. Imagine if the owner of the forum offered up advertising slots on the main site to the winner of a monthly contest?

4. Fix those pesky bugs! We wouldn't need threads for "Massive list of Stumbleupon/Reddit/Twitter/DeviantArt/Facebook/Skype" if you could customise your profile to include these things.

This is such a good community. I would hate for more people to leave because of technical frustrations.

There were a few tweaks suggested to the above but you get the idea. Alas, nothing significant changed. We did create a round robin critique thread which was really helpful but, as it wasn't stickied, it soon made it's way off page one and into the realms of obscurity.

There have been a few cross-promotional 'Seasonal Comics' threads created recently, looking for contributors to join in with Octoberfest and Halloween comics. If these were handled in a more structured way, with everyone taking the time to comment on each other's contributions, I'm sure loads of us would join in and this could start to feel more like a community again.

However, as I said in Wendy's topic, the owner of the TWCL forum appears to have given up on us and that's a shame. There are people all over the web desperate to build communities and here we have an established one that's being neglected. That's a big reason why the forum's community spirit has disappeared.

But where else is there to go? There are certainly other webcomic communities out there but (sigh) I dunno. Whaddaya gonnado?
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering why I never did / bugged oppy to do something about that, but I was just poking round the admin end and it seems there's no way of adding subforums in this version of phpBB.

I can create new boards, but not with any kind of hierarchical structure. I could do something like this:

How to
Introductions
General Ramblings
Webcomic News
Reader Talk
Looking for a Comic
Check Out My Comic
Webcomic Gubbins
Tutorials and Critiques
Advertising and Promotion
Monetising a Webcomic
Convention Talk
Looking for Writer / Artist
Jams, Competitions and Crossovers
Seasonal Comics
Site Problems
Scraps

As a rough plan what do you think?

Blog
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kail wrote:
I kind of get the impression that the Wild West days of webcomics are over. Back when I started my comic, there were still new "big" comics popping up occasionally, and old "successful" comics dying off all the time. Everything was very fluid. Nowadays it seems a lot more static. The top comics aren't budging, nobody new has made a really big splash in forever. All the new hotness seems to be in Youtube/Twitch/Blip videos. Speaking for myself, I still draw comics a fair bit, but since I know I won't get feedback if I post them online, I generally don't bother uploading them.

That's an interesting perspective and probably true to an extent - the genre does seem to have frozen and slowed... it seems almost impossible to become one of those "big" comics now, but many likely rushed to the field in hopes of being the next big thing. Then the market became supersupersaturated. And now that things have become pretty static, perhaps the excitement has pittered out. Maybe the "glory days" of webcomics has ended and everyone remaining just bobs in the wake? Or perhaps we're just in a temporary doldrums?

Does anyone else have opinions on this?
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think the days of easy money from webcomics is over. But after attending cons like SPX, where a good proportion of the creators have webcomics (and I'm not talking crappy comics, either), it seems clear to me that the field isn't stagnating at all. I do think that we've had to become more creative to make any kind of money at it. Even the big names are constantly trying new things. Witness Ryan North's To Be Or Not To Be Kickstarter project last year for a choose-your-own-adventure Shakespeare book, for example.

It's not enough to just post webcomics anymore. But they're still active and interesting.
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may also be various lifestyle changes and what not. People moving on to new careers, etc.

It may also be that we are the end of the Internet Generation, and perhaps we are now in the Smartphone Generation. These new kids just don't know how awesome it is to make web pages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: