TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Character Design Pinterest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltimateB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Character Design Pinterest Reply with quote

I thought I'd share this, its a character design pinterest board I follow. Lots of fantastic reference and I love to peruse the tutorial section whenever I get a chance cause they update with some great tutorials on painting, drawing, anatomy etc.

http://pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
Eve Z.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this link. Smile

I have quite some trouble drawing certain body parts (like hands) and this will be quite useful to look into.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*jaw drops* Ooooh!

Great link - thank you so much for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very useful! Thanks

Mustachio Mondays at SunbeltRyders.com
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Though it reminds me of a few references I can never find.
Specifically, I can never find references for crotches without the imagery being adult-centric or provocative. Someone should make a collection of references for non-adult drawings of adult-interested parts. I could use more ideas for how to draw breasts to look realistic without looking sexy.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:
I could use more ideas for how to draw breasts to look realistic without looking sexy.

So basically any picture of a woman that's not sexy should work for that, eh? But in all seriousness, I highly suggest going to a couple of nude live drawing sketching sessions, it'll really help to get an idea of how breasts work if you have a female model, without the sexuality, and then you'll have a collection of references for later!

Also this is an amazing pinboard. It helped me out a ton, though not with the specific body parts thing, just the whole easily browsed collection of cartoony art sorted by category thing. I managed to find references that suited the style I was imagining but couldn't figure out how to draw, and then work out how it worked. Plus there was a killer tutorial on how to draw fat women. You'd think that being one, would be no problem, but it really helped. Most tutorials are on skinny, great-shape people but that's not always what you want, y'know?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
But in all seriousness, I highly suggest going to a couple of nude live drawing sketching sessions,

Yeah, that's the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:
Metruis wrote:
But in all seriousness, I highly suggest going to a couple of nude live drawing sketching sessions,

Yeah, that's the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

Why? They're completely non-sexual. The ones I've gone to, I really can't even remember if the models HAD genitalia. Or faces, for that matter. It literally is just someone standing around and making poses. Heck, if you don't like your local art community, there's tons of online pose resources that have female models.

Nudity is not necessarily "adult-centric" or sexual by nature and it's the only way to learn how to draw what's there, to shape the clothing around the person's build. If you want to learn to make realistic breasts, whether clothed or not, the only way to do it is to learn how boobs work in action.

I'm going to stick to my point because I know that, since I refused to do life-drawing for years, my drawing suffered for it. As soon as I started doing it, my ability to draw figures improved by leaps and bounds. Drawing from photo references had been great but not enough for me to understand how form interacted in space.

If you're convinced naked breasts are the devil there are fully clothed model drawing sessions out there as well. And there are malls and libraries and public places where you can just take a sketchbook and doodle people (especially the bits of them you want to learn how to draw) and get away with it. I've read your comic, man, and it's that borderline realistic cartoony that I think would especially benefit from drawing some real people. Provocative is what you make of it. One of those perception based things. It is there if you look for it, and likely as not if you're not looking for it it won't be there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
Provocative is what you make of it.

Exactly. And I'm not the kind of guy who can just turn that off when it suits him. But I'm not saying that nude drawing can't improve someone's talent, I'm just saying it's not something I'll be partaking in.

Besides, the areas that I am looking to craft are specifically KNOWN for being squishy, malleable, able to change size, compress, expand, and all so forth. More-so than ANY other part of anatomy other than the face. Those parts look different according to the clothing being worn. Hence, references of clothed models are required.

There are reference photos and books galore for nude models, and even underwear models. There's a dozen books that tell you how to draw the super-hot women in the sexy poses. But there's just nothing out there to show "this is a woman in jeans sitting down, from forty different angles."
And worse yet, I need references of women sitting in positions that men use.

Sketching people in a public place sounds interesting, but at the same time, I don't want to get arrested because a girl noticed me staring at her crotch. Oh, you've got a sketchbook with you? Yeah, like I haven't heard that one before. Smile
In all seriousness, I have gone to such public places before, clipboard in hand, looking for references, ideas, and models. But the ones in my area aren't suitable for drawing people inconspicuously. Add to that finding someone of the right body type in the right kind of clothing... It doesn't always work out as well as I had hoped.
Traegorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nude drawing helps understand the principles of anatomy though, and you learn to lauer clothing on top of that frame work.
UltimateB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do alot of caricatures and skteching of people on the train I ride to work everyday and the last thing I want is someone to see that I'm drawing them, not because I'm worried they'd get insulted and get mad but that I'm worried about them getting interested and then asking me to draw things for them and what not. I usually carry a small sketchbook and wear my sunglasses and have gotten good at quick sketching off of one or two glances.

Marscaleb, there is an app for ios ( maybe android ) called random pose. It generates a rondomly posed 3d model nude, (both male and female.) but they show just the musculatuure not the skin and there's no genitals (except for breasts, but they're just the fatty tissue that they consist of). That might be something you could look at. Though its better for figure drawing reference not specific parts reference.

[/quote]
Beerbuca

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is brilliant! Thank you very much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: