TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Join WEBCOMIC UNDERDOGS: Best Friend to the Indie Creator
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Join WEBCOMIC UNDERDOGS: Best Friend to the Indie Creator Reply with quote

I've launched a new online community called Webcomic Underdogs, where all webcomic creators are welcome!

So you have a webcomic. Now what? Do you maybe find yourself wishing that:

1.Your pageviews would miraculously increase?
2.Your "Comments" section would live up to its name?
3.Your Facebook fans included more than you, your characters, and your mom?
4.You could b!tch, moan, and rejoice with other comic creators?
5.You could be exposed to useful critique, rather than the "It sucks" or "Cute ^.^" kinds of feedback?

Well, then…come join Webcomic Underdogs! It's the best place to meet other talented webcomic creators - those who share your passion for comics and want to share their stories with the world! Sign your comic up for the weekly spotlight and have your work promoted not just on our site, but through various other networks such as Deviant Art, Facebook, Twitter, and more!

Our official website just launched and you can check it out here: http://webcomicunderdogs.com/

Last edited by AndToBeLoved on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
SplitOpenSeams

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just joined it!
It seems really interesting to have a nice spot for creators like that.
I'm new to webcomic-ing, so I'll wait to showcase my site though. My story is still in the early stages, but once the plot picks up, I'll be sure to send in the submission! And I'll get to posting soon. Smile
Horrible Comics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site looks great! Joined as well!
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fantastic place, but I'm kind of biased. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear, Split and Horrible! Thanks for joinin' up! Vas is a wonderful moderator of the group, which is why she's biased, lol.

But yeah, glad to have you aboard for the ride! Please help spread the word to other creators however you can - the more the merrier!
MyFutprint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Stay thirsty my friends Reply with quote

Awesome site! I just joined as well and really love the design and layout. Drift looks like my type of webcomic and certainly shares some similarities with my book, Massively Multiplayer World of GHOSTS so KUDOS already for showing me something cool!!

I think I will be visiting frequently to both sites.
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would need to sign in ASAP seeing all the fine people that is there!

Cheers from the Hippo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks myfutprint and hipopotamo! We are very very lucky to have the great community that we do. Everyone is very respectful and active and just plain friendly. And we're gonna do everything we can to keep that going forever and ever!
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have signed in... so...
Where are my comments? My sponsors? my donations? My fortune and glory? My date with Scarlett Johanson?

Cheers from the Hippo

(joking apart, it looks like we are gonna have fun over therem!)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hipopotamo - You'll GET your fame when I SAY you'll get your fame. lol.
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Join WEBCOMIC UNDERDOGS: Best Friend to the Indie Creato Reply with quote

AndToBeLoved wrote:
I've launched a new online community called Webcomic Underdogs, where all webcomic creators are welcome!

Maybe I'm just not clicking on the right things, I'm not sure what the site does yet. At first glance: it's spotlighting Drift, and has a related interview with the writer and fan art articles just below. OK, nothing wrong with that. Is one comic at a time going to occupy the slot? Is there a queue of applicants? What's the rotation period?

Into the forum, I see familiar comic-maker names (who I also see here and on other comic sites). There's that itchy feeling of deja vu. I'm wondering if Webcomic Underdogs will start off like Just The First Frame (just as one example), with a small group of enthusiastic comic-makers finding somewhere new to display their work, then as membership builds, has so many updated comics displaying every day that it's a rare thing for someone to see their own comic on the first page any more.

I'm not bein' pessimistic and I'm not throwing poo, I'm just thinking, what does this new site do that other sites aren't already doing? That's not entirely clear from the FAQ. Comic readers have to find the site and check out the content for comic-makers to benefit. How are they going to find the site? What's going to make them stay, and return?

Just sayin', a smaller version of the banner would be a good thing, gotta scroll down past it on eeeevery page.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is one comic at a time going to occupy the slot? Is there a queue of applicants? What's the rotation period?

Yes.

There is an application and the queue positions depend on how much meaningful feedback that members give Spotlighted comics, as well as forum participation. If you apply and don't participate, you will likely not get a spotlight. If you apply and participate by giving meaningful critiques for spotlighted comics and engaging discussion in the Forum, then you'll be able to be spotlighted sooner.

Rotation period is weekly, I believe.

Quote:
I'm wondering if Webcomic Underdogs will start off like Just The First Frame (just as one example), with a small group of enthusiastic comic-makers finding somewhere new to display their work, then as membership builds, has so many updated comics displaying every day that it's a rare thing for someone to see their own comic on the first page any more.

No, the forum discussions are separate from the spotlighted comic discussions. As far as I know, there are only plans to spotlight one comic at a time on the front page. It might change in the future, but that's the plan now.

Quote:
I'm just thinking, what does this new site do that other sites aren't already doing.

- In-depth, solicited and free community critiques for spotlighted webcomics.
- A strong emphasis on rewarding community participation over self-promotion.
- Original articles and forum content aimed towards improving the skills of webcomic artists.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Join WEBCOMIC UNDERDOGS: Best Friend to the Indie Creato Reply with quote

dpat57 wrote:

Maybe I'm just not clicking on the right things, I'm not sure what the site does yet.

As stated in the About section of the site, it is our vision to create a welcoming, safe, organized, inspiring, and supportive place for comic creators to rub elbows, dole advice, and show their stuff.

WU is simply a place for creators to share tips and stories, while also have access to various (hopefully useful) resources, and also get their comic signed up for spotlight so that their comic can be reviewed by their peers.

dpat57 wrote:
At first glance: it's spotlighting Drift, and has a related interview with the writer and fan art articles just below. OK, nothing wrong with that. Is one comic at a time going to occupy the slot? Is there a queue of applicants? What's the rotation period?

Good question which we do need to clarify on the site and have been meaning to do so. Spotlights will be rotated every Sunday. Only spotlighting one comic at a time. We want everyone to have their individual chance to shine and get feedback. Once a spotlight has ended, that comic gets bumped off the main page and archived in the Spotlight Comics page.

dpat57 wrote:
Into the forum, I see familiar comic-maker names (who I also see here and on other comic sites). There's that itchy feeling of deja vu. I'm wondering if Webcomic Underdogs will start off like Just The First Frame (just as one example), with a small group of enthusiastic comic-makers finding somewhere new to display their work, then as membership builds, has so many updated comics displaying every day that it's a rare thing for someone to see their own comic on the first page any more.

Spotlight periods are not permanent, so nobody's comic will ever be on the main page for more than a week. The fact that it's up there for a limited time is what gives it the advantage. Let's face it - having 50 different comics all on the homepage not only looks bad, but people will be much less inclined to click on them. With only one comic at a time, it encourages people to actually check it out.

And of course we have a group of people who posts frequently. We're a brand new site after all! 10 days to be exact. So it's natural that our most frequent posters on facebook are also our most frequent posters on the site. And it's because of our member's dedication to the group that we decided to build the site. The fb group was simply getting too big and we had to expand. I highly anticipate that people will maintain interest as the group grows. Heck, it only benefits them more by being active with new members.

dpat57 wrote:
I'm not bein' pessimistic and I'm not throwing poo, I'm just thinking, what does this new site do that other sites aren't already doing? That's not entirely clear from the FAQ. Comic readers have to find the site and check out the content for comic-makers to benefit. How are they going to find the site? What's going to make them stay, and return?

Well...I feel that it's pretty clear, but naturally I'm biased. This is something we plan to expand on so that people have a better understanding of what the site offers. You're question actually inspired us to ask about it in the forums and let our wonderful members voice their opinion about it (the topic was JUST created, so I don't know how many responses you'll see just yet). Basically, WU is simply a community for comic creators to hang out and help each other promote one another and improve upon their work. We will likely provide more explanation in the About section soon for new visitors.

They'll find the site...like any other site? Search engine, banner adds, forums such as these, word of mouth, etc. Our members are SENSATIONAL about promoting one another and the WU site. People keep coming back because we all listen to one another and genuinely want to help each other succeed as creators. You get back what you put in. There's a kind of karma to it.

dpat57 wrote:
Just sayin', a smaller version of the banner would be a good thing, gotta scroll down past it on eeeevery page.

Yes, for sure. We have made is smaller as per your request and the request of others.

So thanks for the questions and advice. You've been helpful and we plan to provide further explanation about some of these things on the site to help new visitors get a better understanding of what we offer.

Cheers!
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to let everyone know that we have made some updates to the About section, as well as the FAQ. I hope that these updates will help people better understand the purpose of the site. Do you have any thoughts, dpat57?
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Don't Fear the Timer Reply with quote

Ever force yourself to write something in a short amount of time? In this blog, the writer forces themselves to write it in 15 minutes as a challenge to overcome the difficulties of meeting deadlines. After that it's pencils down!

Read Don't Fear the Timer, buy Marisa Brenizer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: