TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boycott Bluehost

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justinfh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Boycott Bluehost Reply with quote

If you're hosting your Webcomic with Bluehost, you need to find another host and Boycott Bluehost. Not only have I had several technical difficulties since I hosted with them, but their tech support staff are shit! There are very few of them who are willing and able to help you.
SplitOpenSeams

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you used Bluehost for shared hosting and not private servers?
If so, that's the problem with shared hosting I've heard quite a bit about. Once your site starts getting decent traffic, it all slowly falls apart. I have Dreamhost myself, and they have similar business and interface models. Earlier I had much more traffic to my site in one day than I had in a month, and my site went unresponsive for two hours, without much that I could do.

Dreamhost has a "live chat" feature, but I had that window open for a whole hour without a single response. I e-mailed them right away in case the problem persisted, but it came back up by itself. I've heard similar stories from some people I know who use shared hosting.

I guess we get what we pay for. : l
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest A Small Orange. They're pretty nice for smaller needs.

Though 'Bluehost's hosting is shit' isn't really a reason to boycott them, I was expecting something truly awful other than unlimited-isn't-really-unlimited. That's just reason to change your host if you're personally unhappy with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of technical issues? I've been hosting with them for over five years now and I've never had a serious complaint (though my site isn't exactly high-traffic, so it's possible I'm just not in a position to be aware of issues).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
Though 'Bluehost's hosting is shit' isn't really a reason to boycott them, I was expecting something truly awful other than unlimited-isn't-really-unlimited. That's just reason to change your host if you're personally unhappy with them.

That's what I was thinking.

Usually boycotting has to do with more political stuff, like how they treat their employees, their company ethics, etc. For example, I boycott GoDaddy because of their over-sexualized commercials and the fact that the CEO killed an elephant. Has nothing to do with the quality of their service, but I don't want to give my money to that.

I use HostGator and I've been happy with them, but I know some people hate them. Then again, I don't get all that much traffic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:

Usually boycotting has to do with more political stuff, like how they treat their employees, their company ethics, etc. For example, I boycott GoDaddy because of their over-sexualized commercials and the fact that the CEO killed an elephant. Has nothing to do with the quality of their service, but I don't want to give my money to that.

He... he did... he did what?
*Googles*
Oh dear god. I knew the commercials were awful and sexist... But he also murders endangered wildlife.
Neat.

I think as long as realize those problems with hosting (especially ones for smaller sites like mine) beforehand, I don't think it's a real big deal. I had that problem with Dreamhost, but I'm still very satisfied with them because of all their other features. Plus, I paid next to nothing for hosting for two years during their spring sale.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:

Though 'Bluehost's hosting is shit' isn't really a reason to boycott them,

Yeah totally. The advantage of a free market is that every business has to prove that they are worthy of your business. If a company can't provide a customer what they need, the customer doesn't patronize that company. If a company fails to provide enough service to enough customers, the company dies.
If bluehost's hosting is crap, they will naturally wither away and perish because nobody is going to use them. No boycott is necessary.

And I also just looked up the elephant thing. Turns out it was done to stop a whole herd of elephants from destroying the crops of an impoverished village. Sure, there was a better way to do that, but a boycott is overkill for that.
One, when you boycott a company, you attack the whole company. The CEO killed the elephant, not the board members, not the middle management, not the janitors. Just one person. And they don't exactly have a company policy that includes elephant killing. You're trying to tear down a whole company to get to one man.
Two, if you target this one man for having killed an elephant, where exactly does it stop? If he steps down from Go Daddy and takes another job, does that make things right, when he could just as well kill more elephants with his new job? You'd have to boycott him at his new job too. Which means you are basically saying that he is not allowed to work, ever.
This is why boycotts against a person are a bad idea; they are just extremely vindictive and hateful behaviors.

But I totally support boycotting GoDaddy for their use of sex in ads. I'm in the minority for that, but I still boycott companies who rely on sex to sell.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured someone would have an issue with me mentioning the elephant thing.

What I read was that a single elephant was trampling crops rather than a herd, and so the elephant was killed, and that there are non-lethal way to deter elephants from crops. If there's just one and there's other ways of shooing off an animal that already has problems with poaching, then why kill it?

If it was a herd, that's different. I'm having trouble finding the original video, but I did find some cropped repostings that did clearly have two. So maybe the situation was a bit different than I thought.

The CEO also recorded the elephant hunt and added the GoDaddy logo to the video. In an early interview after the kill, he said he "expected sales to go up" because of the video. This wasn't just "Hey, I shot this problem elephant and now I'm a hero." He turned right around and slapped his logo on it and tried to use it to boost sales.

I'm not saying "he's not allowed to work, ever" and I wouldn't boycott him out of every job he has. But if he intends to use elephant killing to promote his company, then yes, I will boycott him and his company.

Ultimately, the reason I boycott them is their sex ads. I'm in the same boat, I typically don't buy from companies that just use sex to sell. The elephant thing is more like icing on the cake.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the elephant thing to be kind of ridiculous. It's not something you hear everyday.
Go Daddy's advertisements were so stupid. Do you remember the Super Bowl ads from years back? Every commercial they aired, they didn't even mention what their product was. It was just women in skimpy clothing doing somewhat suggestive things.
I also heard from a few other people that getting domain names with them is a huge painful process, and difficult to switch over to different carriers.

Getting back on topic: To the OP of this thread, have you received any messages from Bluehost? You never went into detail about what your specific problems were.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
The elephant thing is more like icing on the cake.

That does not sound like a cake I'd want to eat. :(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: