TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kickstarters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsanelilmunky wrote:
So kickstarter is going to start accepting canadian projects later this year.

Thoughts?

"Argh", sums it up for me. Couldn't they have done this just a bit sooner??

Kickstarter has a much better community, but Indiegogo doesn't have the problem that I've seen several Kickstarters complain of, having to to wait a long period of time before the campaign is approved for launch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!

I'm still nowhere close to ready to start on a print version (ugghhh why didn't I know all the things I know now when I was starting the comic five years ago.... /dumb questions that answer themselves), but I'm pretty sure I'll be using crowdfunding when I do.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. I was curious whether you'd be 'argh' or 'who cares? indiegogo works for me.'

I'm curious if they'll ever expand to europe. I hope to translate my comics to german once I get to that point. It would be nice to have a higher European count on Kickstarter before that happens.
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes, it's true Indiegogo has worked for me (150% funded! Still 9 days left to go! Woohoo!), so I have nothing to complain about. This reaction is just "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" kind of thing.

Actually, my husband and I talked about this a couple days ago. Would we have used Kickstarter instead of Indiegogo, if it had been available? Kickstarter has the lure of the larger community, and name recognition. But Indiegogo offers flexible funding. This was our first crowdfunding attempt, and we really had no idea if we would reach our goal. I was very nervous. Since Indiegogo allows you (if you choose flexible funding) to keep the donations even if you don't make your funding target, we likely would have chosen Indiegogo just for the peace of mind.

I read an interesting comparison of the positives and negatives of Kickstarter vs. Indiegogo in a post on GeekMom this week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure flexible funding is necessarily a bonus. If I only get twenty people pledging for my book, I don't want to have to go through with printing a tiny, tiny run that'll end up losing money. I do wonder if it takes a certain urgency out of the campaign, too…

edit. Also that GeekMom article is wrong; it claims that stretch goals are something built into the system at Kickstarter, that're a pain in the butt to implement on other funding platforms. Stretch goals are implemented by nothing more than editing your project description to promise stretch goals, and following through on them if you get the funds.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article is also loosing me on their third advantage. Having an approval process means that things like the pickup artist guide that kickstarter apologized for won't be found on their site any more. And their list of prohibited perks? This is a problem? Not being able to offer loans, buy real estate, give away alcohol, drugs, weapons, etc?
Varethane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egypturnash wrote:
I'm not sure flexible funding is necessarily a bonus. If I only get twenty people pledging for my book, I don't want to have to go through with printing a tiny, tiny run that'll end up losing money.

Well, I think with Indiegogo you do have a choice what kind of campaign you use (ie you could also do something similar to Kickstarter, where no money is received until the end). If you're relying on the campaign to raise ALL the capital for the printing then you would probably want to go with a different funding option; flexible funding is mainly intended for projects which already have some pre-existing capital to work with (grants, for insstance), which could theoretically go ahead anyway even if they don't hit the target-- though ideally they'd get close.

I do agree that I kind of like the idea of the approval process, although now that you have brought in the example of the 'seduction guide', it doesn't seem as though Kickstarter has been using it to filter projects <_< Maybe they'll be more careful in future? I haven't heard about any similar kerfuffles on indiegogo, though maybe they just don't get as much press...
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the seduction guide is that whilst what the author had posted elsewhere was truly awful, the project page was mostly just, well, a little sad.

Kickstarter did heavily screw up on that one when people started contacting them about it, but I can see how it got through initially. That part of it is understandable.

Anyway, ttallan, congratulations on so totally and utterly kicking the butt of your original target. =)

Edit: I should add that the stuff posted elsewhere was material the author was intending to rework for the book.

Blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: