TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kickstarters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

This might be promising. They weren't very descriptive on what they were making though. I had to find that in the FAQ.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. I decided to fund The Monolyth instead.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsanelilmunky wrote:
Meh. I decided to fund The Monolyth instead.

Looks cool! I did too, as well as part two of A Voice in the Dark (or Dark Zoey).

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Let's hope more people start flocking to it. It's still a way off from it's goal and only has 13 days to go.

...Also, woo! Hinges made it to it's goal!
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Monolyth didn't make it to goal. Apparently he's still going to try and do the project, but in black and white, and possibly in a different way to make it cheaper.

Besides ttallan's IndieGoGo thing, I'm also funding World of Fiction now.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...From all the post from me in here, I'm beginning to think I'm the main one what likes throwing money at people. Razz

I'm questioning whether the World of Fiction story will get funded Sad but, I'm pretty sure the Guilded Age one will get there. I'm funding them too and I would just like to say BEST KICKSTARTER VIDEO EVER!
Varethane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super-excited to preorder Vattu! Also Ava's Demon (the Kickstarter for which has already raised over 130k, ten times its original goal, holy crap ._. )

And, o'course, Galaxion.

(As a side-note, I am not sure how representative I am of the crowdfund-backing public, but.... I rarely ever actually watch the videos ._. In fact I don't think I've watched any of the videos for the projects I've backed... Though I was usually already familiar with the work in question. Am I alone in that, though...? Are the videos actually super important/interesting and I am missing out by not watching them?)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So kickstarter is going to start accepting canadian projects later this year.

Thoughts?
Varethane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!

I'm still nowhere close to ready to start on a print version (ugghhh why didn't I know all the things I know now when I was starting the comic five years ago.... /dumb questions that answer themselves), but I'm pretty sure I'll be using crowdfunding when I do.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. I was curious whether you'd be 'argh' or 'who cares? indiegogo works for me.'

I'm curious if they'll ever expand to europe. I hope to translate my comics to german once I get to that point. It would be nice to have a higher European count on Kickstarter before that happens.
egypturnash

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure flexible funding is necessarily a bonus. If I only get twenty people pledging for my book, I don't want to have to go through with printing a tiny, tiny run that'll end up losing money. I do wonder if it takes a certain urgency out of the campaign, too…

edit. Also that GeekMom article is wrong; it claims that stretch goals are something built into the system at Kickstarter, that're a pain in the butt to implement on other funding platforms. Stretch goals are implemented by nothing more than editing your project description to promise stretch goals, and following through on them if you get the funds.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article is also loosing me on their third advantage. Having an approval process means that things like the pickup artist guide that kickstarter apologized for won't be found on their site any more. And their list of prohibited perks? This is a problem? Not being able to offer loans, buy real estate, give away alcohol, drugs, weapons, etc?
Varethane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egypturnash wrote:
I'm not sure flexible funding is necessarily a bonus. If I only get twenty people pledging for my book, I don't want to have to go through with printing a tiny, tiny run that'll end up losing money.

Well, I think with Indiegogo you do have a choice what kind of campaign you use (ie you could also do something similar to Kickstarter, where no money is received until the end). If you're relying on the campaign to raise ALL the capital for the printing then you would probably want to go with a different funding option; flexible funding is mainly intended for projects which already have some pre-existing capital to work with (grants, for insstance), which could theoretically go ahead anyway even if they don't hit the target-- though ideally they'd get close.

I do agree that I kind of like the idea of the approval process, although now that you have brought in the example of the 'seduction guide', it doesn't seem as though Kickstarter has been using it to filter projects <_< Maybe they'll be more careful in future? I haven't heard about any similar kerfuffles on indiegogo, though maybe they just don't get as much press...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: