TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What have you learned about self from being a cartoonist?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeychips

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: What have you learned about self from being a cartoonist? Reply with quote

For me, balancing comic work and the rest of my life has taught me so much about my own character--both the good and the bad. I write about this topic in greater detail in the comic and essay posted here on the Silly Daddy site:
http://joechiappetta.blogspot.com/2013/03/cute-interruption-mother-daughter-comic.html

But I am wondering what others here have come to understand about your own self in the struggle to find the work-life balance as a cartoonist.
Gar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better I get at writing varied characters, the more understanding I become of peoples' foibles in real life. Everybody's worst quality is just their best quality taken to an extreme.
The Hat and Fat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think the chance to be creative and get others to enjoy my work, or hate my work, is a release. It's therapeutic. You know, I'd love to make money off my strip, but if I never do what it's already given me is worth so much more.
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discipline. It's the only way I can create comics, market them and still have a life.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process of creating something and putting it out is worth the effort all by itself. It adds some structure to chaos, perhaps... or perhaps it adds chaos to structure, depending on one's situation... either way it's an entropy defender... or at least the illusion of one...
achaziel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a weird habit of mine. The more stuff I have to do, the more productive I am. It became obvious to me when I got unemployed in june 2012. I almost lost all interest in creating my webcomic, it suddenly didn't seem as enjoyable as it used to be, drawing strips almost became burdensome. I even neglected my social life. After several months of unemployment I even thought about quitting my webcomic altogether. But as soon as I got a new job as a graphic designer, my creativity came back and over quite a short time span, I also noticed that my artwork started to get significantly better. Long story short, I need tons of stuff to do to "function" properly, if you know what I mean.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

achaziel wrote:
I noticed a weird habit of mine. The more stuff I have to do, the more productive I am. It became obvious to me when I got unemployed in june 2012. I almost lost all interest in creating my webcomic, it suddenly didn't seem as enjoyable as it used to be, drawing strips almost became burdensome. I even neglected my social life. After several months of unemployment I even thought about quitting my webcomic altogether. But as soon as I got a new job as a graphic designer, my creativity came back and over quite a short time span, I also noticed that my artwork started to get significantly better. Long story short, I need tons of stuff to do to "function" properly, if you know what I mean.

I think this is why retirement is bad for a lot of people. Life is meant to be filled in, the lack of something meaningful and useful to fill it in is darkness.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

achaziel wrote:

That sounds like depression symptoms to me. Were you really bummed to lose your job?
achaziel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That sounds like depression symptoms to me. Were you really bummed to lose your job?

Not really, no. I didn't really like my job back then, it wasn't very fulfilling, the pay sucked and I had to commute a few hours per day. But the fact that I didn't find a new job for about six months was a big bummer indeed. Then again, it's pretty hard to find a job as a graphic designer where I live. But I did it and I couldn't be happier with my current employment Smile
freelance337

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with vaslittlecrow, I learned discipline above all. No matter what, or who is dying, I stick to my schedule and update always on time. So far, so good, and I plan to keep it that way.
Antimatter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been fighting off depression and being on medications for years. It's only been just a few months that I finally figured out that drawing is my truly way out. Not only that drawing helps but visualizing my own depression and express it as a comic character helps me distinguish between delusion and reality. And now I'm off those awful meds for good =D

Visit me and my "depression" on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/antimattercomics Come and say hi if you can. We are quite lonely....
RJM13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By disciplining my self to draw every day (even though my day job is that of artist/designer I spend almost all that time working in Photo Shop & Illustrator on the computer) I find that my cartooning becomes easier and easier and natural.

I've been drawing my daily strip every day for four years now and I can see the improvement of my drawing, layouts, inking and lettering by leaps and bounds!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomics and Real Life All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: