TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum Suggestion Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spencey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cn, I'd be happy with those revisions. Anything would help!

mcmasters wrote:
What is all this buggy something I'm hearing about? For me, forum loads up, goes quickly to where I click.

I believe the forum is like a duck. It appears to swim smoothly but underneath there's a lot happening to keep it going! In this case, the duck's legs are wendyw and the other mods who cleanse it of spam manually (I think)

Also, the inability to customise signatures and other profile elements, standard on most forums, makes the whole thing appear a bit lacking.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencey wrote:
mcmasters wrote:
What is all this buggy something I'm hearing about? For me, forum loads up, goes quickly to where I click.

I believe the forum is like a duck. It appears to swim smoothly but underneath there's a lot happening to keep it going! In this case, the duck's legs are wendyw and the other mods who cleanse it of spam manually (I think)

Also, the inability to customise signatures and other profile elements, standard on most forums, makes the whole thing appear a bit lacking.

Yeah, pretty much.
We also have the disappearing thread bug. If someone gets logged out in the process of posting a response it confuses the software and the thread disappears from the board. Thankfully that's very rare, (it's been months since I've noticed a thread get eaten) though the same thing happens if you delete an account, which is why most spam has to be manually deleted. If you just wipe the account without deleting the posts threads disappear.

Thankfully the bots were mostly dealt with by the last security fix so that's not a huge problem anymore, but yeah, there are still some bugs that need fixing.

Blog
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me share my two cents, from a quasi-newbie perspective.

I walked into TWCL as most novel creators, looking for a site to promote my comic. We all know our comic is going to be lost in the literally thousand other comics promoted here, same as in all other web-comic aggregators. We still do it because the back links will definitely help with Google positioning. Then the forums comes as an extra perk: you might discover a community of like interests, and a good reason to stay past the mandatory first post. that of course depends on the forum's dynamics.

I believe this forum has interesting people, and that is what has kept me here. I for example, like TWC better than TWCL as an aggregator, and the forum over there looks "nicer", but conversation is dead there.

Here instead I have found new comics to read, interesting people, critiques to my work and even a couple of regular readers.

I for one would support the re-organization of topics but would encourage the loose format that allows people to express themselves and create this sense of community. I would also suggest we eventually pitch in and pay a good php guy to fix the issues (which honestly I can live with, Wendy and the mods do a great job in keeping the site together)

Of my soapbox now

Cheers from the Hippo

Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I haven't been around because I got really, really busy for a bit there, and stopped being anywheere on the internet.

But also, a bit the 'how many times do we need to mention Scott McCloud?' thing.

It just feels like everyone has already heard what everyone else has to say sometimes, and so why say anything? I haven't been back to what used to be my favorite writers' group yet for pretty much the same reason. Conversation was lagging something serious.

It's not that I've found a better place. I haven't.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically stopped posting everywhere on the internet. I kind of miss it now that I'm getting out of the cloud of depression hanging over my face.

Also the broken site kind of irks me.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every forum I've visited regularly over the past 5-7 years has seen a sharp decline in the past 1 or 2 years. I'm not sure if former forum posters have migrated to social networking (which would be really sad) or if forums have become passť, or what. But it seems widespread. All forums I still visit have a thread similar to this one: how can we get the "golden era" back? So far none of these forums have come up with a solution or really even diagnosed the problem. Some have sadly dissolved completely. There just seems to be a mass migration away from internet forums in general, likely for various reasons, all of which may play a part.
narwhalknight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewomack wrote:
Almost every forum I've visited regularly over the past 5-7 years has seen a sharp decline in the past 1 or 2 years. I'm not sure if former forum posters have migrated to social networking (which would be really sad) or if forums have become passť, or what. But it seems widespread. All forums I still visit have a thread similar to this one: how can we get the "golden era" back? So far none of these forums have come up with a solution or really even diagnosed the problem. Some have sadly dissolved completely. There just seems to be a mass migration away from internet forums in general, likely for various reasons, all of which may play a part.

I agree whole heartedly, forums are not what they used to be. I am new to this forum, so I hope this one is different, but in recent years when I join a forum I get 2 things, negitive/sarcastic comments from senior members, or total indifference to anything I post. Many forums nowadays are a negitive place, filled with hostile people making fun of each other, and outsiders see this and just don't want anything to do with it. I'd like (and I hope this forum could be it) a positive group of users, doesn't have to be a big group, who are close and help each other out. I assume most users here have the common interests of either creating or reading webcomics. I think that is a huge jumping off point where a group can be supportive, help each other, and make each other's works better for it.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey can we get a multiquote button on here, so we can quote multiple earlier posts properly?
Varethane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavenderbard wrote:
Mostly I haven't been around because I got really, really busy for a bit there, and stopped being anywheere on the internet.

But also, a bit the 'how many times do we need to mention Scott McCloud?' thing.

It just feels like everyone has already heard what everyone else has to say sometimes, and so why say anything?

These two factors are what led to me disappearing for awhile. A lot of the topics that I was really interested in when I first joined have already gotten a lot of discussion, sometimes in multiple threads when the first one got pushed back due to age and someone made a new thread out of not knowing the older ones were there or out of just wanting a fresh start. I've already said whatever I wanted to say about those topics, so when I see new threads that are variants on the old ones I don't feel as much of an urge to contribute again.

I have a feeling this is relatively common after a forum reaches a certain age; I'm not sure what can be done to prevent it from happening on a wide scale, other than making an effort to keep the community open to new members so that new conversations can show up.

But anyway. Making it so that newer members can customize their profiles would be a definite improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an account for forever, which is how long a year is now, I guess,, but I didn't start posting until I actually had a webcomic. It just doesn't feel like a forum for readers, you know?

I don't know what I'm saying. Something something more friendly to webcomic readers. I need more coffee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: