TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I published a kindle ebook!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirbyrules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: I published a kindle ebook! Reply with quote

Bloody hell it turned out to be harder than I thought it would. As a project, it got in the way got in the way of my regular strip, but I enjoyed doing it, learned some HTML and gave me some new ideas, so a good exercise.

Anyone else had a go? How did you get on?

Steve

Ps if you want to see my effort, its free on 18th April.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Cardigan-Loose-threads-ebook/dp/B00CD4TRIW/ref=zg_bs_362385031_f_6

ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Congrats on completing it.

How did you go about making it? Is it as simple as making a big pdf and converting to Kindle format?
Kirbyrules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I followed a kindle book called "Formatting Comics for the Kindle and Nook" and the writers provided a guide and downloadable template which is used to upload the comic. Not having any HTML skills, I did have some difficulties getting my pages into the template and I found that uploading to Kindle took a while. Kindle has released a free Comic Maker programme which should make life easier (I didnt spot it when I started work, darn it!).

Steve
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made epub and mobi (kindle) versions of the first Black Flag Book.

It's pretty easy to do if you have any html/css experience.

Personally I used Sigil to make the epub, and then converted it to mobi(kindle) using Calibre. I also tried using Amazon's Kindle Preview to make the conversions, but you end up with a MUCH bigger file, even though I couldn't see see any difference whatsoever when reading it. No clue what that's about.

I was having trouble for a while with my little low-end Nook cutting the bottom off the pages. Someone somewhere made a complicated script that solves this, but it's actually easier to fix it using css. Just scale the height of the page images to 100%.

Unfortunately, it didn't do me any good to figure that out, because the resulting pages were too small to be read. Grump. Looked fine on the larger screen of my daughter's Kindle though.

I've got a free version of the first chapter available in both formats if anyone wants to take a look at the nitty gritty and attempt to emulate it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I published a kindle ebook! Reply with quote

Kirbyrules wrote:
Bloody hell it turned out to be harder than I thought it would. As a project, it got in the way got in the way of my regular strip, but I enjoyed doing it, learned some HTML and gave me some new ideas, so a good exercise.

Anyone else had a go? How did you get on?

First off, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is configured wrong. I downloaded it to my Kindle yesterday and I went in to have a look at it today. When I opened it up (on Kindle Fire HD, holding the kindle in portrait) the comic appears on its side, so I turned the kindle to make it landscape and the comic 'corrected itself' to remain on it's side. In other words it isn't possible to read it the right way up.

I have also spend a month figuring out how to do this. I have the first three Girls in Space stories collected together into a collection. My Kindle file appears to be working and ready to go.

Converting an ePub or a PDF wasn't a workable option for me. It seriously compromised the quality of the images as the Kindle Fire doesn't appear to anti-alias certain file formats correctly. Also, my understanding is that if you want it to appear in Amaon's lists you have to assign a unique identifier to the content document which a conversion process cannot do. The only way I was able to get a Fixed Format mobi file was to literally create an html file for each page and manually set up the rules in the content file.

I haven't uploaded the file to Amazon yet because I'm still trying to get my head around the terms and conditions of Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing and I don't want to cause myself any problems! Hopefully I'll have it up soon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'd set it as landscape and scaled the pages to make them easily readable on a Kindle, which has the smallest screen. This wasn't a problem I'd expected.

Back to the drawing board to rework as portrait and reload.

Something else I've learned!

Cheers

Steve
Kirbyrules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the problem by working through Kindle Comic Creator. Link is below.

Steve

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001103761
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: