TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Convention art to sell! (artwork heavy post)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
narwhalknight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Help with Convention art to sell! (artwork heavy post) Reply with quote

I have a table in artist alley at an upcoming local sci-fi con (called Sci-Fi on the rock http://www.scifiontherock.com/ ).

Anyways, since my webcomic is still a wee bady, I wont have any paper comics to sell. I will be giving out flyers for the webcomic, but I am also going to have some artwork prints to sell. Since it is a Sci-fi/Comic/Video game/Anime con, I figure my Mortal Kombat and Pokemon prints might sell a little, but I'd really like some opinions.

What I am going to have is:
20 11x17 posters of Kitana
20 11x17 posters of Mileena
20 8x10 prints of Fantina & Pokemon
20 8x10 prints of Cynthia & Pokemon
20 8x10 prints of Dawn in snow & Pokemon
10 8x10 prints of girl cant sleep b/c Pokemon
10 8x10 prints of 3 pokemon girls
10 8x10 prints of WWE divas vs TNA Knockouts

What I REALLY need is some honest opinions. Is there any images you think wont sell at all? Is there any that I should order more/less of? Should different images be bigger posters, or the MK ones smaller? Please dont mind telling me you hate an image. I am spending alot of $$ to get these printed, so I really need some kind of return. The images are below. Thanks so much, and be as brutal as possible. Im going to be putting in the order this week coming.

Kitana

Mileena

Cynthia

Dawn in snow

WWE Divas vs TNA KOs

Fantina

Tired girl

3 Pokemon girls
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any art advice, but I would advise you not sell any Pokemon character posters. I don't know how carefully Nintendo guards its copyrights and trademarks, but I do know that even the most easy-going IP holders draw a line between Deviant Art fan pics and public sales.
narwhalknight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, but I'm not sure. Even Deviantart you have the option to sell prints of your work through them. And this is a small local con, I really can't see any kind of those reprocussions. I'll do a little research though. Thanks for bringing up that concern, I didn't really think of that.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not supposed to sell prints of fanart on DA either.
narwhalknight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. That may throw a wrench into my convention plans.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsanelilmunky wrote:
You're not supposed to sell prints of fanart on DA either.

Yeah, you can't sell prints if you select one of the Fan Art categories when submitting your picture. There's no option on the form for it.

Blog
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have already commented on the fanart aspect. I, personally, am most likely to buy fanart from others in artist's alley because I enjoy seeing their spin on another person's style BUT I've not been to a convention where the artists I follow have been present, otherwise, I would buy pieces of their original work to support their projects. Devart seems to mirror this trend: I and most others I know, get the most attention for fanart, even if the quality is ABYSMAL compared to original pieces UNLESS of course, the OC quality is simply phenomenal. And phenomenal, original OCs is what draws over curious onlookers.

Before I change topics, the rules at the convention are what matters. Some places are really cracking down on AA and not allowing any fanart at all, mainly the ones who are not hurting in regards to filling their table space. When you have a trademark, you are obligated to defend it if you want to keep that trademark which is why Disney looks like the big, bad wolf if they for example, discover a preschool has painted Mickey Mouse on its walls. http://www.snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.asp

What this boils down to is you can probably get away with it without anyone caring but it's not a bad idea to work towards exclusively offering original creations (not including parodies, of course).

One more story before I offer my actual input: my ex had a decent webcomic that he ran for several years. He updated reliably and his art was always 'okay'. I don't think he reached a plateau in his actual capability but rather, he just didn't seem to have the drive to better his own presentation. I think it's foolish for any artist to settle, thinking they cannot get better, myself very much included. I attended a convention with him where he was one of the more advanced original illustrators (not flawless, just better than some of the other up-and-comers), in terms of the look, but his presentation was poor and that was reflected in the consumer interest. Now, to be fair, I'm not sure ANYONE who was only offering original stuff did very well that day but the fact remains that even in a sea of artists who needed to worry about practicing their art more than trying to sell it, he was ignored. While it's not like I was taking polls, part of it had to do with the fact that when people did walk over, he did not engage them. You HAVE to be gregarious! Some aspect was almost certainly the thought of 'This looks like someone who's still learning!' He seemed to pick up on that too as a short time later, he redid his character designs and started a newer version of the comic, which was much better quality.

People have been shying away from the critique aspect so here goes. . .

Your first two pieces are your strongest overall. In general, your coloring is your strongest asset in what you've shown. You've also had the good sense to include a link to your devart gallery so buyers can visit and see more (you'd be surprised how often that's forgotten). You have an interest in keeping with dynamic poses but this is where I feel your quality suffers. I get the impression that these are drawn from references, which is fine, but in translating these poses, I feel like a lack in understanding proportions takes away from the end result.

Kitana: This is your best piece. I don't have any suggestions.

Mileena: The only error that's catching my eye is the foreshortening on the left sai. Because it's hanging straight down, it looks as though the weight is considerable which gives the character a dainty, non-threatening look. The bent wrist on the right hand seems apprehensive-- I feel that just by straightening the wrist and having the character crouch, you could have a much more aggressive stance and really change the tone of this piece.

Cynthia: I love the flow of the fabric on the human as well as the shading on her outfit. The colors on this one are pleasing overall. The human's head, however, is a bit elongated and her left hand looks too small as a result. A hand should be capable of completely covering the human face. The right hand looks fine because of its implied distance from the character. I am not familiar with any pokémon beyond the original 151 but they look good! The only error I suspect is in the fierce- looking purple one. The mouth, eye and expression are AWESOME. The right horn placement, however, seems wrong. If that character were to face me, I would expect that horn to extend past the end of its nose where the left horn seems to stop just above its eyes.

Dawn: Another cute piece. Very serene and once again, I like the attention to color detail. My only suggestions here are with the human's head. It's a bit too big; her eyes run parallel to the ground while her head is at more of an angle. The result is that her face is a bit lop-sided. An easy fix to lasso her eyes and tilt them with free-transform.

The Lady Rumble=)
This has the potential to be such a strong piece-- so many characters! I feel though that proportions and anatomy suffer in this piece. Hair styles and clothing are really their only distinguishing features. I used to recommend the bald test. If you shave a character bald and rely only on its face, can you tell it apart from the rest of the cast? Great manga artists get away with this: Rumiko Takahashi (Inu Yasha, Ranma), Akira Toriyama (Dr. Slump, Dragonball) , Kazuya Minekura (Saiyuki, Wild Adapter) , Wataru Yoshizumi (Marmalade Boy-- don't even get me started on their anatomy!), just to name a few. Perhaps it's a cultural thing but I always found this approach unsettling, if not a bit lazy. Sure, characters will look similar as we draw the same thing again and again but shouldn't your main cast at least be uniquely distinguishable? Perhaps I digress. My point is that their expression look almost pasted on-- they could be swapped amongst themselves without having to alter the rest of the face at all. This should not be possible and if it is, it should be somewhat alarming:

http://weknowmemes.com/2011/10/the-best-of-disney-face-swap/

Other than that, it's a lot of little things. I should be able to see the legs of some of the ladies who are higher up on the page in the open spaces. Some of them are defying gravity: I made this mistake myself a few years ago (though there's plenty of other problems to be noted):

http://tygry.deviantart.com/art/Sandstorm-51616351?q=gallery%3Atygry%2F10397163&qo=7

Some are larger, some are too small. The poor lady in the red bikini on the far right has an upper half that's too big for her lower half. The muscular lady on the left has teeny fingers and the cleavage in the middle does not match that actual er, boobage. I wish I could continue but I've already given you more than you want to read, I'm sure.

Fantina: Another colorful, eye-pleaser. I love the twirly motion on her dress and the palette of pokémon fit nicely without clashing. My suggestion here is with the positioning of the arms. At the right arm's current angle, I should be able to see her forearm behind her hair. That arm seems to be more forward and should perhaps be pushed back with her forearm running parallel to the ground as her other one does.

Tired Girl:

Another cute lineup. Most distracting to me is the human's pose. One forearm is up while the other is down. This along with the position of the head and legs make me think she's doing some cross-body crunches. She doesn't appear to have any weight on the pillow, which might be intended but I would reconsider this position as far as showing that the critter snoring is keeping her awake. I feel this takes away from an otherwise detailed piece. Less notable are the hind legs of the little green fellow. His little hocked feet are positioned as though he had weight on them (standing or walking) rather than lying in a relaxed, sleeping position.

Three PokéGirls:

The butt on the left one looks great but the angle of her torso gives her a Liefeld-esque appearance. The bandanna should be a bit more in line with her skull, instead looking like it's perhaps a wrapped bowl that she has placed on her head. Misty looks good but I would suggest a bit of foreshortening on top of wrist so that she doesn't appear to be injuring her wrist. As for the last girl, her hat is sitting rather high but it is still believable. The bicep and shoulder on her left arm appear to have merged. Her face is a bit asymmetrical with her jaw angling to her right (I struggle with this one myself). I really like the outfits on all three girls, particularly the white t-shirt drawing attention to the left's hourglass figure, the suspender's tautness drawing attention to Misty's breast and the general composition of the third's particularly the tease of the skirt's placement and shadowing. I think the boys will eat this one up!

I think that you have a good mix and I hope you do well at the convention. Now, I've tried to be honest without being too overwhelming and you can tell me to go to hell without hurting my feelings but I think you have the potential to do much, much better with some practice. I would suggest working with some life-drawing and stylizing it as you get more comfortable producing realistic looking pieces as to me, it seems you're still in need of working out the foundation. To filch off of a critique featured in http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1605782/?ref_=sr_3 , I don't look at these and think "Hey, Brad drew these!" It seems you're still trying to find your voice.
narwhalknight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about taking out the WWE vs TNA/ lady rumble, but it's the most popular piece I have on Devart, with 130,527 downloads and 233 favorites. For some reason people seem to like it so I figure it may sell.

I agree whole heatedly that an artist needs to keep evolving.

Thank you very very much for your feedback. It's detailed and insightful, and I appreciate you taking the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: