TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single Panel Comics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mollysheep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Single Panel Comics Reply with quote

Not too long ago I started a very simple single panel comic which you can look at here: http://picturesofsheep.tumblr.com
I'm pretty new to webcomics and haven't really read very many of them. I was wondering if people tell me about good single panel comics they know about. Preferably similar to this one: http://lizclimo.tumblr.com/post/27805229698/how-to-stay-out-all-night.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cartoons by Jim, The Book of Biff and if you like Doctor Who The Daily Dalek (which I did a guest comic for a while back) are all good ones.

I also do a single panel brick comic myself called Commander Cottontail which you might want to check out, you know, if you feel like it.

Blog
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure if mine counts, but I do a single panel sci-fi series called Praeisidum. It's ongoing though, not strip a day type of style.

A great single strip comic is Supermassive Black Hole, which has been a huge inspiration for my comic. But like my comic, it's a series, rather tan strip a day: http://smbhax.com/
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also do a single panel. Some people like it some don't (which sums up everyone's experience, I guess). Single panels sometimes get dismissed as "gag a day" comics, which some definitely are, but the promise for the single panel goes much further. The relatively unknown B. Kliban, for example, did amazing things with single panels. The problem with the format is that people have come to expect instantly comprehensible jokes when seeing one 1 frame. In short, they have come to expect - self-fulfilling prophecy - gags. Working against those expectations while trying to do something more interesting with the medium remains one of its greatest challenges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: