TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stripsearch and Branding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdonz2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Stripsearch and Branding Reply with quote

Anyone else following Penny Arcade's show, Stripsearch?

The last episode had Scott Kurtz challenging the contestants to respond to tweets in order to test their ability to maintain a brand identity. But more in the sense of how they represent themselves and their personalities online in an engaging, positive way.

I had actually been thinking about posting this question anyway-- do you folks think about brand identity? What do you do to try and build and maintain it for your webcomic and yourself?

I've been sort of thinking about what Pear-Pear's "brand" is--what exactly do people come to the site for (not that I get much traffic)? I've gotten feedback that it's a cute comic, a weird comic, an artsy comic--but I don't know how to deal with those labels. Do I decide, "I need to make this thing cute to maintain its brand identity?" or just go, "I feel like throwing a new problem at the pear or the mug, and don't really care where the comic goes?"

Anyway, an interesting topic to think and talk about, and I'm curious about your opinions. Smile

narwhalknight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comic isn't popular enough (yet!) to really have much of a brand identity, but there are a few things I try to get across.
1) Geek culture (Comics, video games, anything)
2) Local identity (it's not just for local readers, but the world they live in is heavily rooted in Newfoundland Canada)
3) Silly & light heartedness (why be serious?)
4) A completely open and honest creation process. I love hearing feedback, and will always respond. I try to be very available to any readers, even if their feedback is negitive.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following Maki's comic for a couple of years now, so I've been enjoying seeing him on StripSearch.

I'm kind of working on brand identity for my comic now since I'm designing my first ads. That's been pretty interesting for me, since my comic isn't very far along yet, so the pieces I'd like to use for advertising would actually be spoilers, haha. Though other than ads, I guess I haven't put too much thought into my comic's brand just yet.

As far as branding myself, I've always been very careful what I put online. Anyone can do a Google search for your name and if you don't care what's attached to it, you may regret it later. I know some people that have no problem attaching their names to some really bad things, which if a potential employer looks you up could be what doesn't get you the job. I feel that if I'd been doing that last StripSearch challenge, I would have aced it, except for maybe pushing merchandise at a con since I'm not familiar with that.

For Pear-Pear, are you concerned that throwing new problems at the characters takes away from their "cuteness"? They seem really cute just in their appearance and how they communicate. I wouldn't think an interesting story arch would change that too much. Maybe mix it up and have cutesy stories in between?

It's ultimately your choice on what you really want to do.
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worrying about branding and ultimately choosing a "brand" will likely lead to the worry that you haven't chosen the right brand, which may lead to the mistake that many companies make of worrying more about the brand and the "comapany face" than about the product itself. A brand is a facade. The content is what really matters. Of course you want to have consistency and a pleasant aesthetic presentation, but "branding" often goes beyond that. Unless you're planning on selling thousands upon thousands of widgets, branding likely isn't a huge issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: