TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gambit Tactics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MindChimera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Gambit Tactics Reply with quote

Hi! Here's my little shameless plug for my comic, Gambit Tactics. This is my first comic so any feedback is appreciated.

My art is a bit rusty right now because I had about a seven year spot where I didn't draw much at all (hopelessly addicted to MMORPGs). I'm picking back up and also trying a new style for my comic that I haven't quite figured out yet, but I like it so far and I'll get the hang of it eventually.

I'm also looking for feedback on the website. I coded it myself since I can't stand WordPress and coding is a passion of mine, but I'm wondering how it looks on smart phones, iPads, etc... I don't own any and don't have anyone handy that owns one, so I can't check it myself.

So if there's anyone who uses any of those mobile things that would be willing to get me a screencap or even just a "it looks fine/bad because x", I'd appreciate it!
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would be better if I included some examples, huh?

Here's the first couple of pages, sized down a bit for the forum.

Would love to get some feedback. Yay? Nay?
mcmasters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you some feedback. I'm rarely impressed with anything but I just spent the last 15 minutes reading the story from the start and I want to know what happens next. I loved the dad-considering-the-knife bit...and it plays in well later when you are left wondering what really happened. All of the characters are so far well-defined yet kind of ambiguous- in a good way. I think the ratio of dialogue to comic is dead-on perfect, I didn't feel I had to read a book with each comic nor did I feel like nothing was really happening each comic. Each comic advanced the story a reasonable length.

I found this to be one of the rare webcomics where the art is not as good as the story, normally mind-blowing art is at the service of so-so writing and stories that don't really go anywhere and take their sweet time getting nowhere. Not that the art is bad; it's not bad, but it's not good. You probably don't need me to say that, you know what I mean. You will get better and when your art matches your story telling, watch out! My only criticism: the giant eyes thing. It distracts me; I know it's manga-influenced and if you're cool with it fine but it seems like you are desiring, as much as can be produced, a realistic feel, so I would work on faces and eyes.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The story is my primary concern since I agree that the art is flawed, but I know that will improve over time and I'm not too worried about it. It's much harder for me to judge my own writing though, and I feel that's the most important part. Or at least it is to me.

A friend of mine made a similar comment about the eyes. I kind of blew him off about that because I feel that I want the eyes to be more stylized, especially for a few things that come up later in the plot, but hearing that again makes me think I should reconsider. I'll have to practice eyes and faces a bit more and see if I can find something better.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working to make the eyes smaller. This was a page I'd already finished but I went back and adjusted them. I did leave the first panel mostly alone though, since I really like how Amanda's eyes came out.

But I was wondering if the eyes look better in the other panels?

http://www.arccuit.com/gamtacs/archives/010217.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: