TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WordPress Or Blogger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbeorni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: WordPress Or Blogger Reply with quote

My webcomic started a month ago on WordPress because I enjoyed the ease of use, but now that they have changed some things I find myself having difficulties with it. It is not the way the site works, but just the general look and stats counter.
So I have started looking for other sites. (but still not my own site cause I am broke at the moment). I find that I really like the Dynamic view of Blogger so we have started trying that out.
I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are, and if there are other options that I should look into.

http://wiseguyscomic.blogspot.com/
also at
http://wearetheknow.wordpress.com/
halph

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer wordpress. It's more expensive if you want the advanced features, but I think the platform is better overall. More comprehensive in terms of what you can do.
For stats, you should be able to install Google Analytics on either site.
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want free hosting, try http://comicfury.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Word press is much easier to use than I expected Reply with quote

I recently set up a blog using Word Press and the whole process was surprisingly easy. I had though it was going to be super hard.

That said WP difficulty depends how involved you want to get you can learn PHP and get up to all kinds of tricks or just get hold of nice theme and tweak it to suit your needs. Like I did.

www.coffee-monster.com
jimbeorni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the wordpress because it is so much easier to use. I am hoping to have enough money in the coming weeks to get the comic its own site, and use comic press with it.
MC Packetloss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wordpress with the Webcomic plugin is great. Wordpress will give you way more control than Blogger.
dne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's definitely worth it to get a domainname and hosting for your webcomic. Being completely in control is worth a little bit of money, I'd say.
Wasteland_Auto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domain name stuff is so cheap these days, 8.99 a month, and hosting takes that up to a massive 14.99 with go-daddy.

Wordpress is what I used, but I did a local install of Drupal to try and get a handle on that. Knowing Drupal is also a marketable skill! (wordpress is too)
jimbeorni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a new website with the comicpress plugin. I love it to death! Thanks everyone for you advice. I just spent the last few hours setting everything up.

the new site is www.wisdomcookie.net
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a very good deal on site hosting. I'm paying about $40 a year for both hosting and domain name, and I like that I have total control over my site. I do have cpanel and the usual SEO tools, so I'm a happy camper.

I'm using ComicPress , installing it was relatively easy with cpanel. Being a programmer, tweaking the site to my linking was not really horrible. The only thing I'm afraid is the ComicPress and WordPress updates! So far I have only click auto update and lived to tell.
As a matter of fact, however, I have not updated to ComicPress 2.9.4 since I read update was not as seamless as usual.
Still, my experience is good, and I do love all the plugins I have added to customize my site (RSS add link, menu header pages, and multisite, which allows me to run my English and Spanish versions as different WordPress blogs, effectively allowing me for independent updates)

Cheers from the Hippo

jimbeorni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I am finding that total control over my website is the best thing. I like being able to customize it to my own liking without the preset templates. I forgot how good it was to have that type of control over it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: