TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you plan your floor plan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my webcomic, my characters go to college, and I based it on a real Mexican university. So, for that I just told my artist to draw the college vignettes with that campus in mind.

This is a picture of the university

And this is the rendition in the comic

(you also get to see my storyboarding Cool )

The girls live in a mansion with a big mad scientist lab in the middle of it. For that I made rough diagrams as to how you would hide a lab that big and still make sense out of the rest of the living space. However, specific rooms are not precisely located.

For my new comic, the characters are to go on a quest thru the Mexican landscape, so I was forced to look at maps and actually trace their journey and where all intermediate events would occur between the beginning and the climax were to occur.

However, I don't think I'll ever do the level of detail that the OP did!

Cheers from the Hippo

pdonz2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for my webcomic, but for another project I'm working on, I've built a couple models of settings in Google SketchUp. I figured this would help me be consistent when I'm spending something like 20 panels in the same room or apartment.

SketchUp is pretty cool because it's free, and is integrated with an online library of user-generated models that you can import into your own files. So, for example, I furnished my main characters' apartment with 3D models of furniture from the library.

Kail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to try to model the floor plans I'll use in the Sims, since it's way easier for me than modeling it in 3d.

Or maybe that's just my excuse for playing it, I dunno. Very Happy
AndrewBCrisp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I put Icefall on indefinite hiatus last summer to rewrite the story, I turned to Google Sketchup to give myself some models and floor plans of Damascus Base. I built enough of a model to know where everything is, and how big the rooms are - even giving a rough idea on where essential components like airlocks, life support, and power generators are placed. This has proven to be a big help now that I'm nearing the end of preparing page layouts, choosing camera angles that work, etc.

Sketchup was also a help in redesigning the base from its original, awkward, six module design, to a more compact and practical two module design.

Because I'll still be drawing the comic traditionally, none of the models will actually go into the comic proper, though for a while I gave in to the temptation to put in as much detail as I could into the models - which was a lot of wasted effort, all things considered. If and when I have more time, I might consolidate the models into something that can be presented on its own.

Andrew
Justinfh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people don't like gradients for backgrounds. Which is why for most of my comics, I design the background and save it incase I want to use it again.
Bill Murphy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have floor plans for every location in my comic. My long term vision for my comic is for people to know the locations just like the characters. I think of it as set design like in a TV sitcom. And I try to keep the camera angle the same at each location.
4LS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no. I've got my characters house and garden mapped out, and I almost always do a layout for any room I know they'll be in for more than a couple of pages - but I don't work to scale or anything, it'll just be a basic sketch, usually with a few details of items of furniture, colours &etc.

I wouldn't want to manage without, though. I find it a massive time saver - mainly because I'm a bit obsessive about keeping background details consistent (though I do regularly drop the ball). So it's either work it out first, and keep looking back at the same single sheet of paper - or add things on the fly, and have to constantly flick back through previous comic pages to see what I've shown previously.

Took me a while to work this out though. I managed to create a physically impossible house in my first comic - something that still annoys me.

Lo (Aquapunk)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for individual buildings, no. If I'm allowed to think I'm really good at one thing, then it's always knowing exactly where I am and where I'm trying to go. In other words, I guess I kind of understand spacial relationships and direction intuitively that way. So, no. I keep all that stuff stored in my brainmeat just fine.

Maps and city layouts though? I'm awful with that and still struggle with making them look right in really really wide shots.
fjunxs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, the more thought you put in your comics, the better. Planning buildings (as in making real plans for them) is good to avoid logic mistakes later on. But in all honesty, I think in most cases, the reader won't value stuff like that very highly. Or even recognize it.
As for my comic, stuff like that isn't even nessecary, but as a general rule I'd say, you have to see, how much effort you put into one thing and how much it will contribute (visibly) to your comic.
xwhy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a floorplan once because it was part of the joke, but I haven't referenced it since then. It started out looking like my first floor, but then I started moving things that weren't conveniently located.

http://mrburkemath.blogspot.com/2010/04/happy-easter-2010.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the more information you have going into creating your art, the better armed you are for tackling those obstacles when they arise. I had to learn the hard way to do this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: