TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comics and BLOGS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoctorStevehatten

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Comics and BLOGS Reply with quote

Ok, so I have been trying to include a blog post with each comic update...

But the WORDPRESS plugin my site used is set up so that blogs keep stacking at the bottom of the page, and are independant from the comic pages... even though I WRITE each blog post of correspond to a particular comic.

Is this a problem? I never really thought about before, but going back and looking at older comics, you wouldn't know which blog post goes with it... or would you? Is this even a big deal?

OPINIONS?

(argumentcomics.com if you want to see what I'm talking about)
Montanto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Comics and BLOGS Reply with quote

Are you talking Blog blog or commentary that goes with the strip? Because if you're using Comicpress and I assume Easel that shouldn't be a problem.

I suspect what you are doing is writing blog entries that are separate from the day's strip. In which case they'll do what you're describing but what you have to remember is in Comicpress and Easel the strips are technically blog entries as well. Just go in to edit the Strip entry and put what you want to say in the comment section as if you were writing any Blog entry. It will appear underneath the strip no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: well... Reply with quote

I'm using WEBCOMIC, not COMICPRESS. I might switch over to comicpress eventually, as that kinda seems like the hot setup, but I'll need to figure out how to DO that, first!

I guess what I'm trying to find out is this:

Is it better to keep your comics as a seperate thing from you blog, even if they are supposed to be complimentary?

The blog isn't ABOUT the comic... like, I don't dissect my own work in them. But they are usually rants on the same topic as the comic. So each WORKS independantly.

Should I bite the bullet at combine them so each comic always shows its corresponding post? Or is it better to be able to read through the comics without a bunch of text and extra pics having to load?
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a comic and a separate blog on all of my webcomic sites. It seems to work and no one seems to object.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the posts to be viewed along with the comics even after the fact (from the archive), the only way to do that (that malkes any sense) is to use the comic post. It's been a while since I tried Webcomic, but it should have an area to include a blog post along with the comic.

If you want them viewed independently, you're stuck with them being, well, independent. But from what I read, that's not what you want.

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
UncleRobot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Just my two coppers Reply with quote

As a reader, I'd think that I'd want to see the blog entries separated out with the strips just for aesthetics.

JoshuaMHoover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using your 'pages' as a way yo separate your blog from your comic?

You won't have it on the main page but it will help keep things separate if you wanted. You will need to do some customization of your files but in the end it is worth it.

Here is the link I used to do it on my site.

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-create-a-separate-page-for-blog-posts-in-wordpress/
Valgrim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about Webcomic or Comicpress BUT Easel has a box on the edit page for the comic that let's you enter any html you want below or above the comic page. Eventually I plan on re-posting the blogs (related blogs) under the comic of the week. This surpasses the whole posting structure altogether and the "blog" will be a part of the comic in the archives.

If you wanted a seperate blog without the comic page just copy and paste the text into a regular blog post. That's one way of doing it anyhow. Cheers!

-Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: