TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tricks for Treats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tricksfortreats

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Tricks for Treats Reply with quote

Greetings all! I've recently began posting my strip over at Facebook and Tumblr and would welcome any comments and/or criticisms from you fine folks. I'm new to the wonderful world of cartooning and I know I have a lot to learn. If anyone could spare a few minutes and tell me what I'm doing right and wrong I would be truly grateful.

www.tricksfortreatscomic.tumblr.com
Or at FB
www.Facebook.com/tricksfortreatscomic
flynnzilla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I found your comic pretty amusing, got me laughing out loud here and there.

I found the style of drawing for the animals pleasant. I particularly liked the angles on the angry cat. If you want any advice, (and I don't consider myself an expert, but I've been around for a little while and have opinions), I feel like the images are a little too pixelated, maybe something to do with the image compression technique you use. Makes the lines too jagged.

Also in some of the Christmas comics I found some of the lettering hard to read on my 1920x1080 monitor (due to the lettering's small size, even when the comic was clicked on and enlarged), tho I'm gathering most people read webcomics on their phones, so not sure what difference that makes. But for instance, in Christmas part 1 of 6,
the "E" in "why would the humans..." is hardly discernible at all out of context. I would try to keep my lettering large enough to not require context or extra focus to make a character out. Of course, I think I may have broken this rule myself, just something to strive for or at least take note of, methinks Smile

Anyway, I enjoyed.
Tricksfortreats

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to check out and comment on TfT's Flynnzilla. You are 100% correct on the lettering. I'm now in the process of using a font to make it easier to read. I fear the lettering becomes more cold, but that is a price I will have to pay until my own hand lettering improves.

I'm not a fan of how the strip has been scanned in either. That is something else I will have to experiment with.

Thanks for the positive feedback as well. Your constructive criticism is something I will/am taking to heart.
SidneyConrad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading your comics and I have to say I really enjoy your sense of humor. To add to the lettering thing, if you go with a standard font, take some time to really look at all the different fonts out there (for free even!). The comics I'm currently posting don't have it yet, but my later comics use a font called Annie Use Your Telescope which gives it a nice handwritten feel without it feeling cold and detached. Or you could also always look into turning your handing into a font for you to use.

My only other advice is that you should consider getting your own URL. It really helps with giving your comic a more professional look. Other than that, good luck and I really hope to see some more comics from you.
Tricksfortreats

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you greatly Allentmatthews for your kind words and suggestions. I completely fell in love with the font "Annie Use Your Telescope". It's definitely one of my top picks until I can get my own lettering in a better place.

Your suggestion about my own URL is being looked into and will hopefully develop into reality very soon.

Thanks again for the feedback. Hopefully The TfT's gang will keep you entertained in 2013.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: