TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life In Panels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LifeInPanels

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Life In Panels Reply with quote

Hi I'm new to this forum, I just wanted to share my comics with everyone. If you like comedy, I hope these comics will give you a good laugh. Please critique it and/or give me advice, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Smile

http://www.facebook.com/LifeInPanels
antleonardi01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the humor really impressed me. Some of them are really freaking good.

This might go without saying, but you'd increase your audience a ton by taking a figure drawing class and improving anatomy, but thats a long term thing. Short term you should start inking the lines digitally and cleaning up the art a bit like that.

Keep going. You got something good here.
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ My thoughts exactly!

Also, Facebook, not exactly geared towards displaying comics. Consider the alternatives, e.g. (and this is just a small selection of sites out there):

http://www.smackjeeves.com/
http://drunkduck.com
http://comicfury.com

Repeating what I've said before, probably too often, I wish folks would post art samples in their "check out my comic" threads! It's all about enticing readers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you so much for the feedback!
I definitely agree with you two, I have a very childish style when I draw haha. I have a sister who is substantially better than me at art and she's been teaching me how to use a tablet.

I worry though about inking, I've tried it before and the ink always bleeds on the paper. Are there any brands or particular tools you like to use that leaves a clean finish?
antleonardi01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use adobe illustrator for all of my inking, completely digital... but if you're going to ink by hand, all you need are some skinny markers. If you're worried about bleeding, you're probably using low quality copy paper. Buy some bristol board or just thicker paper.

However, I used to use these when I wanted to ink by hand.

http://www.utrechtart.com/Staedtler-Pigment-Liner-Fineliner-Pen-Set--4pc---1--3--5--7-mm---Indelible-Black-MP34781-i1011195.utrecht

They're quite nice. Kind of a hybrid between a marker and a pen. They come in different sizes so you can really build up line weight and such. (The closer line is the camera, the thicker the line)

If you're really brave, you can try a brush and black ink, but that is too advanced for me.

Again, some of your jokes (particularly the ones about facebook) make me laugh. So just work on the art man. You're got a knack for humor.

And don't forget to give your opinion on a few comics posted here. I notice that a lot of people post their shit, but don't try to help anybody else. Maybe we can put some life into this place!
LifeInPanels

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice! And ya, I am using pretty cheap copy paper right now. And after you showed me the link I realized I actually had some of those markers so thanks!

And I definitely agree with you, it's pretty selfish to post your own stuff and not help anyone else. We learn by getting feedback from each other. Would you mind me asking what your comic is called? You can even just private message me because it's not exactly relevant to this topic. Thanks!
antleonardi01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love those technical markers. Pretty awesome.

Wasn't fishing for feedback for MY strip in particular. Just trying to get people to be more active lol in general.
LifeInPanels

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like bumping threads but I thought I'd share this one especially:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=313987532052295&set=a.193707187413664.41471.193693654081684&type=1&theater
And if you enjoy the comics, I'd appreciate a "like" on the page to grow my audience. Thanks Smile
Slim+Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Was going to get up... found your comic's Facebook page... lost 20 minutes... 'Liked'... Good work!

The simple pencil style grew on me the more I read, but it certainly couldn't hurt to give some colouring a go - personally I get my outlines done in a relatively thick pen (err... a non-permanent WH Smith OHP marker I believe... nothing fancy but I've gone through three of them now lol), then after scanning I edit mine in paint.net (i.e. simpler, free, photoshop) lower the brightness and whack up the contrast to get nice black lines and then colour in digitally. It saves time on colouring and it's nice and bold, but you might keep more of the nice, hand-drawn feel if you go with the pens so... experiment!
antleonardi01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you given thought to setting up a website for these instead of facebook?
LifeInPanels

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Slim+Dave Haha glad I soaked up 20 minutes of your time. yah that sounds like a good idea, looks like a really effective and quick way to colour the comics which I've definitely considered, Thanks!

@antleonardi01 Yes I have, during the beginning of the last semester I was talking to a friend in Computer Science to cooperate with me in making a website. We discussed a fair amount but nothing really came of it. I hear the GoDaddy.com is a good place to get sites, is this right? But I also heard that the price is pretty heavy unless I stick with it for a while and have a substantial audience. Sorry, I know this is pretty long!
Slim+Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LifeInPanels Well it was 20 minutes well spent (and as for your comic from today ...rather you than me lol ...ew...)

On the website side of things, personally my website is made with weebly.

I looked around a fair bit and decided they seemed the best fit for me at least. It's pretty simple to make a (free) site with weebly (there are plenty of pre-made themes and stuff and you can tinker with some of the code if you're a little more ambitious - I don't know coding but edited some of the layout and margins and the red sidebars on my site in the code editor, but you can make a site look pretty much how you'd like without touching the code). The only downside is it can be a little buggy getting images to upload properly at times but it's not too bad. (This is what my site looks like by the way: http://www.slimanddave.com/ ).

As for my domain name, you can keep the free one you get with weebly (which ends in .weebly.com I think), but I bought slimanddave.com from GoDaddy for a year for now (including the private setting) for 10. I'm not certain of their $ pricing but I assume they'll charge less than 10 bucks for that, and they charge less per year if you pay for longer. (Weebly were selling domain names too but they were charging a fair bit more).

You can then add the domain name to the free weebly site easily enough.

Anyhoo, that's how my site is made, and everyone will probably give different advice on making a site but there's mine. It'll pay to look around at different site builders and see what you like the look of.
LifeInPanels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, ya I'll definitely check out other site builders as well then. As for the comic... I'm glad you could stomach it haha.
LifeInPanels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LifeInPanels

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This always happens to me:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=347641382020243&set=a.193707187413664.41471.193693654081684&type=1&theater
Please like the page if you enjoyed the comic, I'd really appreciate it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: