TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nagori

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tftp

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Nagori Reply with quote

Quote:
Nagori WebComic, a futuristic Sci-Fi thriller full of action and mystery. A strange artifact is found deep on Earth's surface. An object with amazing properties which may not be from here....or from now

http://www.nagori.co
http://www.mangamagazine.net/manga-and-comics/Nagori/detail-page/2499?lang=en
http://nagori.smackjeeves.com
http://nagoricomic.deviantart.com

This webcomic is nearly 1 month old, but its origins are much older than that Very Happy

Last edited by tftp on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly feel like I am missing a lot and like I arrived in the middle of the story. An intro or background page might be really helpful, especially since the comic is so brutal. Even a paragraph would be helpful.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not much to explain, that's the beginning of the story, right when the artifact was discovered.
Anyways, what are you missing? Smile
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out why the bully has a bullwhip. Is he a slave driver?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since he's not a main character, that detail is not very important is it? :p
Anyways, it's central america, guns are expensive, fathers probably handle something cheaper for personal defense, and that something can be snapped by their sons, specially if they're bullies Very Happy
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that this minor character is torturing the cover character, that information is actually critical. As a reader, I would feel cheated if you as a writer glossed the details of an event that was important enough to use as the key promotional item (cover) for your story. That cover is a promise for your readers. If I can't compel a reader to care about or love to hate your characters once that person is reading the story, then why would a reader bother to reading your story unless there's a torture fetish involved? If satisfying a mindless torture fetish is your goal, then you have achieved it marvelously. I have a feeling that's not what you are after.

If you want the reader to care about the little boy's fate or to hate the bully on an emotional level, you need to start caring about the details. When you don't care about your writing, it shows. Sometimes minor characters are huge assets that suck your readers into fictional universes (Bobba Fett, for example.) Treat your creations and your readers with enough respect by paying attention to the small things. For example, in A Broken Winter (extreme violence warning), there's a torture scene conducted by very minor characters that reminded a lot of yours, even if the motivations were vastly different. In the very first page, you know EXACTLY why the child is being tortured and what is at stake. In your story, I am not sure why the bully is so brutal about the amulet. Does he know the value? Does he just hate the miner children? Why is he evil?

As a Puerto Rican who has been to Central America, (Guatemala and Southern Mexico, to be precise) I've observed that the most common self-defense tools tend to be insults, knives or fists. Maybe it's different elsewhere. But in my experience, unless the kid deals with cattle or sheep, the whip seemed to come out of nowhere. Also, if the kid is a hoodlum, the chances he'll have a gun, are higher than that of the general population. Maybe it would help if you assumed that not all of your readers are familiar with life in the specific area of Central America that you are dealing with (especially since the story is written in English) and would appreciate some minor tidbits (even within the story) introducing them to cultural nuance.

I read (and write) a LOT of fiction inspired by horrifying events in history, whether it's sci-fi or historical fiction. I am your target market. I am passing these observations along to you because your requested feedback. Take or leave what I mention. But realize how your work is making me feel as a heavy consumer of that type of work.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This village and its people only appear in the first 20 pages...they will never appear again for the rest of the story, literally :p
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll know why soon Smile
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably won't. Best wishes and good luck with your endeavors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 2 is complete at last Smile
tftp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 3, page 5 is out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: