TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Wonderful Ban List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djotaku wrote:
Omake theatre is hilarious (sometimes). But def not family-friendly.

Oh, I think it's funny too but I wasn't cool with the ad looking like... well. Not family friendly things. Razz
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djotaku wrote:
I've had smbhax's ads on my site before, it's what led me to click

Woo they're working :D

LovelyLuke wrote:
I almost banned this one, but it's fairly harmless, so I left it on. It was mostly just the shock factor of landing on that page after clicking a banner that said "cthulu"

Oh man. Why does that have to exist. ;P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to getting into the game and am figuring out my strategies while I wait for my publisher status to be approved. So far I seem to be averaging one click for every 2500 hits over at Octopus Pie.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montanto wrote:
I finally got around to getting into the game and am figuring out my strategies while I wait for my publisher status to be approved. So far I seem to be averaging one click for every 2500 hits over at Octopus Pie.

It can be hard to tell what a good click-through rate is on popular comics. For instance, I run campaigns that place a lot of skyscrapers and leaderboards on random small webcomic sites, and for those, if an ad can get about 0.3% click-throughs as a skyscraper, or 0.15% as a leaderboard, I consider it to be pretty successful--and for the smaller, banner size, I might hope for about 0.10%.

But CTR definitely drops on sites with a lot of traffic, and I don't have enough experience with those (expensive) ad placements to tell what's good. For instance, my last few bids on Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, which gets like millions of page views per day or something ridiculous, were somewhere around 0.06% with skyscraper ads I think...but it still got a ton of traffic in to my site.

Oh so in that respect, it can be a lot easier to try to judge the usefulness of a particular bid by looking at its "Cost Per Click." Anything above CPC 0.04 tends to make me antsy, but then I'm kind of cheap when it comes to PW advertising. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just banned this guy because of a flashing ad. I just thought it was annoying.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, that's the guy who does Toothpaste for Dinner, which I actually like (or have liked...not good at keeping up in recent years).

Isn't flashing stuff kind of par for the course if you allow animated ads in your adbox, though?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess so. I just don't like them though.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can set your PW ad box so it doesn't allow animated ads--problem solved forever! :D

EDIT: Although if it was like intentionally seizure-inducing flashing then yeah I'd have banned 'em too. What size ad was it, by the way? (So I know if I should pre-emptively ban him. ;D)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I still want to allow animated ads. I wasn't sure whether I should post about it, though, maybe not. It was just flashing different colors really fast, and it bothered me. It was a leaderboard.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you know I think I've seen one of those a while ago, struck me as odd since his comic is black and white, and pretty sedate visually.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just banned someone named TeamShrodes, whose profile can be found here: https://www.projectwonderful.com/viewprofile.php?id=63514

Their ad linked to an annoying spam/scam site which brought up extra windows redirecting you back to their site when you tried to close the window their page was in.

On another note, does banning a user usually result in canceling all of the ads in the region they were bidding on? Because that's what happened to me. TeamShrodes was bidding on American traffic on my leaderboard, and when I banned them, all other American bids got cancelled. I'm pretty annoyed to be losing the revenue, and if it doesn't fix itself soon I'm going to have to contact PW. In the meantime, you can buy an ad on the top of my site for $.02 now if you want.

smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Publisher I've just banned: https://www.projectwonderful.com/advertisehere.php?id=48422&type=6

I wouldn't be so annoyed if they hadn't classified their site as "Comics: Webcomics." I mean jeez.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this thread is a little old, so maybe this is old news, but you can choose to auto-ban ads of a certain rating. Our site is suitable for all ages so we only allow ads that are SFW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: