TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Artist: Inquire within. (Position: OPEN)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArkonOridan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Looking for Artist: Inquire within. (Position: OPEN) Reply with quote

Hello there, my name is Arkon Oridan, and I believe I have an obsession. You see, a long time ago there lived a civilization called, "The Roman Empire".

You may have heard of it. It was quite a thing back in the day.

Anyway, I love everything Roman. I am not entirely sure why, but its probably the Legion that does it for me.

Anyway the second, I'm sure you all have heard of Fallout New Vegas by now, yes? Well in there is a faction called "Caesar's Legion". It is a more modern Roman Empire, in which they use guns.

Now, in the canon of the game, they made it so Caesar is basically bluffing to these eighty six tribes of men, making them think he is some kind of Son of a God. As I played the game I always wondered what would happen if he was somehow exposed as a fraud.

So at the end of the game, canon-wise, Caesar dies, so I had an idea for a webcomic.

The plan is simple, but I think it is best explained in this segment of text I wrote a while ago, Ill put it in a quote now.

Quote:
The Courier arrived from the west in the early hours of the morning. It had taken him a month to escape the NCR Ranger squads tasked with hunting fleeing Legionaries, and executing them. Finally, he arrived in Flagstaff, Arizona, the Capital of the Legion...

Or at least, it was.

He approached the west gate, and called for the guards to open the gate. The gates lowered, the creak of the wenches unusually loud in the silence of the night. It landed on the ground with a dull thunk, and the Courier hurried inside. He was met by the Duty Centurion in charge of the gate, who held out his hand for the message the Courier carried. It was one of Caesar’s usual scrolls, bearing his sigil of the Bull. Now relived of his burden, the Courier leaned against the wall and sank to the ground, his face in his hands.

The Centurion stared curiously at the Courier, before shrugging and turning to headquarters. While Caesar was away from Flagstaff, a Legate was in command of the Legions eastern forces and charged with policing the area of raiders and dissidents. The Centurion considered him a good man, unlike Legate Lanius in the west. Legate Augustus cared for his soldiers, and did not needlessly throw them into death. When Augustus ordered his Legion into battle, they went with the knowledge that they would come out alive. That confidence alone made a major impact in battle.

As he walked through the streets of Flagstaff, he watched the men of the Legion walk about. Each one of them was nearly a slave, but none of them cared about that. For Caesar, they would lay down their lives. Because Caesar was the Son of Mars, the one who would reshape the world as Mars saw fit.

The Centurion arrived at the Legates Headquarters, a Pre-War building called a Library. The Legate had moved his office here two years ago, and had amused himself reading the histories of past military victories from the Pre-War era. He pushed open the door, and walked up to the central desk. It was circular, and sat four Legion couriers. When they weren’t delivering messages across Legion Territory, they acted as the Legate’s Scribes, delivering messages across the camps, and organizing Troops and Supplies to be sent to Legion garrisons.

One of the Couriers looked up as the door opened, and greeted the Centurion.

“Is the Legate in his office?” The Centurion asked, holding up the sealed Scroll.

“Yes Centurion, he’s just reading on of his books.” The Courier replied, returning to his paperwork. “You can go in, Caesar’s Scrolls get priority.”
The Centurion thanked the Courier and moved past the central desk towards the back of the Library. He knocked on the door and waited for the Legate to finish his page, as he usually did before answering the door. This time however, it took several minutes before the Legates voice was heard.

The Centurion opened the door quietly, and stood at attention in front of the Legate. The Legate finally turned the last page of his book and looked up at the Centurion.

“Oh, hello Decimus. Come with another watch log for me to look over?”*

“No sir, we have received a message from Fortification Hill. Caesar has sent word to us.”

“Well then, please read me the words of our Dear Caesar.”
The Centurion paused for a moment as he heard the sarcasm in the Legates voice. That wasn’t normal, as the Legate usually laid much praise on Caesar. However, he did not wish to anger his Legate, so he broke the seal on the scroll and began to read aloud.

“These are the words of Lucius, Head of the Praetorian Guard of Caesar. The second battle of Hoover Dam has begun and ended. Caesar has fallen. Lanius has fallen. I will soon follow them. Mars has forsaken the Legion this day, and I find myself in command of the last remnants of the Legionaries. As I write these words, the NCR forces are attempting to breach the gates of Fortification Hill, and soon they will succeed.

Before I lead the last of my men into battle, I name Legate Augustus the new Caesar, as is my right as Caesar’s heir.

Farewell Legion.”

The Centurion stared at the scroll again, rereading the words to make sure he had seen them correctly. The Legate stared at the Centurion, his face blank. Finally, he closed his book and set it on the desk. The Centurion looked at it, trying to make out the words on the spine. Finally, he deciphered what it said and mumbled,

“The History of the Roman Empire…”

The Legate stood, and made for the door.

“Come, Centurion, there is much work to be done…”

I will be the first to admit, this sample is a bit rough. But that's what its meant to be, a bit rough. It still has work to be done to it, and I would appreciate an artist to join me in this webcomic's creation.

Last edited by ArkonOridan on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArkonOridan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: What Im looking for in an artist. Reply with quote

First and foremost.

I only have one request when it comes to art style, and that is that we dont try Chibi'ing it. I would prefer human looking characters thank you very much.

That being said, I don't want my artist breaking his back trying to make the most realistic human possible, far from it. I want my artist to do this at a relaxed pace, with a work schedule that suits him.

The schedule that I'm planning for this comic is to post at least one page a week, though what I would really like to do is post an entire issue at one time, maybe take a week or two off for readers to read it, and then release another issue, and carry on like with 15 to 20 comics per issue. Kind of like a standard comic book series, but on the internet. Hence a webcomic.

Okay now I'm rambling, let me get back to seriousness.

What I would like to do in our issues is have a 6 panel column type, in color preferably.

In terms of pay, its negotiable. Obviously, I do not expect you to hand me your art for free. No, I respect artists to much for that. I am however between jobs at the moment, and funds are a bit tight, so I would be willing to pay in parts while the issue is in the works. Again, pay is negotiable, in private of course

As for hosting, I will be handling it, as I don't expect my artist to work on the pages AND do the coding, while I sit around scribbling scripts. I want this to be an equal partnership as much as possible, though unfortunately you will still have the harder task and there is nothing I can do about it.

Really. I can't even draw a proper stick man. I'm that bad.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me or Email me at ArkonOridan@yahoo.com

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I look forward to working with one of you.

Oh and if you do email me, feel free to add an example of your work.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a screen-cap comic? Probably not the easiest thing to do in Fallout.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider breaking your quoted material into a script so that a prospective artist has a better idea of what you need. Your quote is well written but it is in the form of a novel. A lot of it is internal thought or commentary from the omniscient writer, such as:

Quote:
The Centurion considered him a good man, unlike Legate Lanius in the west. Legate Augustus cared for his soldiers, and did not needlessly throw them into death. When Augustus ordered his Legion into battle, they went with the knowledge that they would come out alive. That confidence alone made a major impact in battle.

Well written, but what part if any would be expected to be written into text boxes on a page (much less drawn)? Similarly:

Quote:
The Legate had moved his office here two years ago, and had amused himself reading the histories of past military victories from the Pre-War era. He pushed open the door, and walked up to the central desk. It was circular, and sat four Legion couriers. When they weren’t delivering messages across Legion Territory, they acted as the Legate’s Scribes, delivering messages across the camps, and organizing Troops and Supplies to be sent to Legion garrisons.

Besides the visual of the man pushing open a door and seeing a circular desk with four couriers, what will be on the page, written or visual, to convey the other information, or is it not to be conveyed? So maybe hash out some sample pages describing what to be shown with what words.
ArkonOridan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmasters wrote:
You might consider breaking your quoted material into a script so that a prospective artist has a better idea of what you need. Your quote is well written but it is in the form of a novel. A lot of it is internal thought or commentary from the omniscient writer, such as:

Quote:
The Centurion considered him a good man, unlike Legate Lanius in the west. Legate Augustus cared for his soldiers, and did not needlessly throw them into death. When Augustus ordered his Legion into battle, they went with the knowledge that they would come out alive. That confidence alone made a major impact in battle.

Well written, but what part if any would be expected to be written into text boxes on a page (much less drawn)? Similarly:

Quote:
The Legate had moved his office here two years ago, and had amused himself reading the histories of past military victories from the Pre-War era. He pushed open the door, and walked up to the central desk. It was circular, and sat four Legion couriers. When they weren’t delivering messages across Legion Territory, they acted as the Legate’s Scribes, delivering messages across the camps, and organizing Troops and Supplies to be sent to Legion garrisons.

Besides the visual of the man pushing open a door and seeing a circular desk with four couriers, what will be on the page, written or visual, to convey the other information, or is it not to be conveyed? So maybe hash out some sample pages describing what to be shown with what words.

Okay, so if I'm reading your suggestion right, you want me to do something like

Quote:

Scene: Legates office, large window in the background flanked by bookcases, one desk in the center of the room with a chair in front of it

Augustus: "Blah blah"

Marcus: "Blu Blu"

Augustus: "Blah"

Like that?
ArkonOridan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with regards to a screen cap comic, I think that would be unacceptable to what I have in mind.

You see, the story will be outside Fallout Canon, about a decade after the death of Caesar, with upgrades weapons and armor that don't appear in the game.

But thank you for the suggestion
mcmasters

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArkonOridan wrote:

Okay, so if I'm reading your suggestion right, you want me to do something like

Quote:

Scene: Legates office, large window in the background flanked by bookcases, one desk in the center of the room with a chair in front of it

Augustus: "Blah blah"

Marcus: "Blu Blu"

Augustus: "Blah"

Like that?

It's just a suggestion. I think it would make things clearer to a prospective artist. Yes, something like that.
ArkonOridan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems sensible enough, lemme see what I can do.

heres an Idea I had for the first couple of pages.

The first page is the title page, that will be shown whenever someone enters the site, and it should be something like the new Legion flag in the foreground, mounted on a hill.

In the background should be some mountains, and several camp fires should be somewhat visible on the mountains.

The countryside in the scene should be north eastern Colorado, near the rocky mountains.

Somewhere on the page needs to be the title of the comic, which is

"A Fire in the East" Located here.

http://fireintheeast.thecomicseries.com/comics/first/

The second scene will be a standard fallout type opening giving a bit of exposition to the story, and will probably carry on for two or three pages. It will describe the scene up above ^ where the courier arrives in flagstaff.

Once those pages are done, we will move on to the first issue, which will be something like 15 to 20 pages.

I do not have the script locked down for the prologue chapter, but I'm almost done with it.
ArkonOridan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I allowed to Bump? Because I think I just did ._.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You call that a bump? I'll show you a bump!!!
ArkonOridan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude D: You just bumped the shit out of this thread!
ArkonOridan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping once more for good measure.
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: Bumping too often might be considered spam.

Am I understanding correctly that this comic is based on a two existing works? Is it authorized by both the original rights holder and the fanfic author? The reason I mention this is because this might be an impediment to getting an artist outside of a fandom community since there are a lot of messy copyright issues involved.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have the link with me right now, but Bethesda said in some kind of interview that they welcome fan adaptions of fallout 3 and new vegas.

Also, what second work are you speaking of?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum