TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ink Proof Cannon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Ink Proof Cannon Reply with quote

Hi, guys!

Ink Proof Cannon is an anthology webcomic with five stories running each week. I'm worried that this is perhaps making the stories run a little too slowly, so I'd like some opinions.

With the current setup it's possible to navigate between the stories that are running, and also to navigate between individual pages within each story. I've not had any complaints about that set-up so far but I'd like to know if it works for casual readers as well as people who are used to the site.

Basically, if you like or don't like the comic I'd love to hear from you.

dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some jumbled early morning thoughts! Possibly more than you asked for. Everything's my humble opinion.

For the navigation buttons, I think the "in this story" text on the side buttons, and the "in story" text beneath the comic page, are redundant. It's just more text to read for no reason -- plus, with the side buttons, the extra text pushes the "Latest Comics" info down so it's off the screen. These links should be visible right away to readers arriving on your landing page without having to scroll down, since it's the "hub" that redirects to all comics, yes? I'd actually question whether the side navigation is necessary since this is repeated beneath the current comic page.

When I hover my mouse pointer over STORIES only Bounty Bunny and Sol Invictus list/drop down. I expected these links to take me right to the latest page for each comic, but they take me to story synopsis and cast pages instead. I'm wondering if STORIES ought to logically take me to the current pages for each comic, and the synopsis/cast pages ought to be linked under ABOUT (together with a link to your current "about Ink Proof Cannon" page). Yeah I realize this is your choice! I'm just saying what would appear more logical to me, a simple reader from the Shire.

Comic title banners! Methinks the current story, i.e. the latest comic displaying on the landing page, ought to have its own title banner above the comic page, no? I appreciate this info displays as alt text but a color banner for each comic could really crank up the site's drab appearance (sorry!).

On a similar note, must everything be B/W/grey? Your Ink Proof Cannon title, I'd switch this to color, probably gold/yellow, so it zings. Ditto the STORIES... ABOUT... ARCHIVE text, i.e. switch the mouse pointer hover color (yellow) to become the default color so they stand out more.

Right now it's not a question of whether or not I *like* the comics, it's how you can even make me aware (when I hit your landing page) that there's *more* than 1 comic to read, and how to *get* to them that matters.

Hope it helps! Ignore if it doesn't.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comic could definitely use some grays. There is so much going on in a single page that it gets a bit difficult to understand what's going on.

I only read the 3 page medieval D&D type story.

The first page is just littered with text. It needs to BE MUCH more simple. At this point I was afraid to click the next button, BUT I'm glad that I did because page 2 was fantastic. The pacing was great and it was much easier on the eyes and I was following the story pretty well! I absolutely loved the second page. The tiny joke thrown in "Join the club" had me laugh too lol. The third page is OKAY, but you really outdid yourself with the second one.

This is something I would definitely consider following / reading if the next pages were simple and easy to follow like page2.

Keep going. From what I read, this comic seems rather charming. Thumbs up.

edit: I think the real problem with the opening page is that you're expected too much from the reader. You're introducing all of the characters in one foul swoop with a non interesting way (through text.)

They should be introduced individually and slowly through an actiony type scene.

But once again. I like what you're doing here.
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a lot of potential here, but the site is all over the place. The navigation really needs clarification and it's very odd seeing it on the right hand site of the site.

It's also strange how the character bios are thrown into the stories. I see this done from time to time with other comics as well, but I don't feel that it works well. I would consider just having a separate "character bios" section. Or, upon introducing a new character within the story, maybe put the bio in the blog as well as in a character bio section.

I do love the name "Ink Proof Cannon." It intrigued me enough to want to click on this thread. But I agree with the above poster(s) in that the banner needs reworking. I am a strong proponent of black and white, but the banner/title needs to pop more than it does.

So yeah, keep at at for sure. But I'd recommend seriously consider reworking the site design.

LifeInPanels

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was reading I saw that the artwork seemed to get progressively better. However, I felt that a lot of the action scenes lacked a sense of motion or movement. I don't feel concerned for if the characters get shot or not because the panels of the comic make it clear that the lasers miss such as with the police. So if you give it some motion as opposed to freezing the panel in the middle of the action I think that could greatly improve your comic.

I don't have a whole lot of credibility because I myself am a mediocre artist at best, but this is just what I noticed. Otherwise, great job, it has potential.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: