TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Admins/Moderators have my sympathies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Admins/Moderators have my sympathies Reply with quote

Do the spammers ever give up on this forum? geez.

I feel really sorry for the one that has to go through and delete all the posts and accounts the spammers create. I noticed Wednesday that there were 30+ pages of 'new' members. There's even more now Shocked

Really, Kudos.

GuerrillaMail must be working overtime for this/these 1-4 spammers.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I get extra sympathy if I point out that I have something that may or may not be the flu as well?

Blog
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you do.

ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to also pass on my deepest sympathies to Wendy and any other brave soul who has to deal with the ridiculous torrent of garbage on this site recently. Cleaning up the sandbox so the rest of us can play in it is not a fun job! Thanks for your efforts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendy, is the admin panel for this site the same as the forumotion ones? If so, you can delete all these spam without too much work. On the forum I run, the path to do it is to go into the admin panel, users and groups, handle users. From there you can generate a list of all users who either haven't logged in since a certain date, haven't posted since a certain date, or have posts below a certain number (you choose when or number). After generating the list, you just click delete (or inform... whichever one you selected on the previous page). If they've posted something, you'd had to go through and delete them all separately, but that's not as much work as deleting all (posting and non-posting) separately.

For a little while you might want to switch to admin activation on accounts too.
Eve Z.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing lately. Sad

Everyday I come here, I find a flood of spam threads from like 4-5 new spambots who make around 200 new posts a-day each. Which is kind of sad, because I want to open a new topic and ask things, but it gets lost in the sea of spam.

What should I say?

Wipe this whole forum, install a new functional one(this one is sort of broken with the spam going awry and inability to edit profiles); move the database there, turn on spam filter(that should be a default setting). I know larger forums, with a much bigger userbase who NEVER have deal with spam.

There should be an option at registration where the forum generates a code image and the user has to enter it in a box to prove that they're human. Which pretty much solves most of these problems. I'm not entirely sure if phpBB's have it.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsanelilmunky wrote:
On the forum I run, the path to do it is to go into the admin panel, users and groups, handle users. From there you can generate a list of all users who either haven't logged in since a certain date, haven't posted since a certain date, or have posts below a certain number (you choose when or number). After generating the list, you just click delete (or inform... whichever one you selected on the previous page). If they've posted something, you'd had to go through and delete them all separately, but that's not as much work as deleting all (posting and non-posting) separately.

I can't see anything like that at the moment, though I'll have another poke around at it later when I get a moment.

Eve Z. wrote:

Everyday I come here, I find a flood of spam threads from like 4-5 new spambots who make around 200 new posts a-day each. Which is kind of sad, because I want to open a new topic and ask things, but it gets lost in the sea of spam.

What should I say?

Wipe this whole forum, install a new functional one(this one is sort of broken with the spam going awry and inability to edit profiles); move the database there, turn on spam filter(that should be a default setting). I know larger forums, with a much bigger userbase who NEVER have deal with spam.

There should be an option at registration where the forum generates a code image and the user has to enter it in a box to prove that they're human. Which pretty much solves most of these problems. I'm not entirely sure if phpBB's have it.

There are various anti-spam measures that Ash has installed over the years, but one by one people have found a way around each of them. I'm still waiting to hear back from him if there's anything he can do this time round. If I haven't heard back by this evening I'll bug him about it again.

Personally I think migrating the user list over to a fresh PHPBB3 board is probably the best answer. If we can keep the posts as well, great. If not, well, personally I could live with losing them if it meant getting rid of the spam.

I've deleted probably about 350 posts so far today. In that time I could have finished pencilling and inking the next page of Gilbert and Grim, edited a Commander Cottontail page (or two), dealt with all the PMs asking for signatures or got the bulk of the work done on a Christmas present I'm making someone. Instead I spent the time deleting posts about boots and handbags.

Confused

Blog
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want help, wendy, I'll volunteer my services. I don't have an infinite amount of time, and I'm not terribly familiar with php and web administration, but I do run my own website and I am a programmer. Maybe I could help implement anything that Ash doesn't have time for himself?

Certainly, I could help delete spam.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a PM.

Blog
Eve Z.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any more spam today, which is a relief.

Or has our admin acted fast enough so that no spam threads lasted for more than 2 seconds?
Either way, great job at whatever actions you've taken! Smile
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've deleted three spam threads today, oppernaR hasn't deleted any and no mods have reported any names for banning, so it looks like it's fixed.

*crosses fingers*

Blog
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did Wendy take a vacation now that all the spam is gone? I PMed her a little over a week ago about my avatar, but I haven't gotten any word on whether she's seen it or not. Sad
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still here. I've just been busy trying to keep up with various things. January hasn't really been any less hectic than December so far (even without the spam). I will get onto it as soon as I can though.

Blog
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Okay. Thank you Wendy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomics and Real Life All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: