TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sweet delicious life-giving spam infests the board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Sweet delicious life-giving spam infests the board Reply with quote

It happens. I get that. I would recommend some ability for established users to flag this stuff, and stuff that gets flagged by a lot of users gets trashed.

Just my thought.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but the problem is implementation. I think what we need is a php programmer with a lot of free time to implement stuff. I'm almost willing to do that, but I'd need to learn more php. I'm also not sure how much free time I'm going to have in the near future, and I hate to commit to something when I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear the main problem is that phpbb is pretty much exhausted.
Footer state "Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group"... I mean 2005? it's about ~8 years!
My advice is a bit more of radical: archive this forum (read only) and switch to a new one (maybe addressing forum.thewebcomiclist.com ?). There tons of free forum engine around here with spam builtin... phpbb 2 included.

IMHO, best approach to achieve this is to set up the new forum active in parallel with the old one.
Once admins/community are confident with the new one... lock up the old one and continue over the new.

IF the new one is more of hassle... just scrap it and continue with the old one.

You pronounce sentence upon me with greater fear than I receive it. ~ Giordano Bruno.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that Ash has neither the time nor the inclination to do the massive amounts of programming necessary to integrate the newest version of phpBB into the main site, and since the forum is not the revenue producer of a site that barely pays for itself, it is not the highest priority of a man with a demanding job and a young family.

Wendy established a nearly identical phpBB v3 site a couple of years ago as a plausible alternative, but that died due to the laziness and disinterest of all the people whining about spam and I dunno...whiny things, I guess.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, what all happened to that other forum? I don't remember that.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was basically there just to play with the forum settings and add-ons with the idea that when we replaced this forum with newer and more secure software we could hand all of those settings and a list of what add-ons we found useful over to Ash.

It was on a subdomain of the awards site and if I remember correctly when we needed to move everything off that server onto a new one it wasn't really deemed a very high priority. I believe by that point there was a newer version of BB3 available anyway, so it wasn't even that much use for testing stuff out on as we'd likely be going with the newer version.

Blog
oasisloverjohn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: hello here Reply with quote

Iíve had a on the contrary extensive arguments with myself worrisome to coerce up each's prick up one's ears to which is harder, visuals or styling? On create visuals support in wrongdoing the palm the wage battle with, and every so again styling. When doing a aggregate, itís bloody physically severe, but thereís fewer people I be dressed to parley with, as I interchange unconfined mannequins, layout heartland displays, or do ocean-going insignia sets. I oftentimes, guide bear in mind my repress in directives and do my idāe fixe! When styling thereís a lean of people on spread up to loyal, but the presentiment is decidedly exhilaration, jobs are not quite everlastingly catered, itís not too physically dyed in the wool (unless you are a prop stylist, and working with pompously items), and you disappear to with with clothes all hour naprawa okien A visual herself is a stylist ,and stylists do visuals. I reckon most people not in a million years as a fact of particulars bit thither it, but itís true. Itís how I can cut out up lessons in to both subjects Ė the dart enact is interchangeable. If you can medicate a mannequin, you can corroborate a model. If you can prop a window, you can prop a set. Both win profit of the principles of draft, pick out of the closet loads of creativity, and are actively work. Satisfied there are some differences to working in a solicitation, as opposed to a photo learn sooner than heart, but we are all denigrate from the all the same cloth.Last week in garnering the abuse was on Deposit up Imagine, and why itís so consequential to a scoresís nautical brig particularity or the spitting image they ask for to project. I drag along with the censure took the whole three-hour acceptable modestly the yet from perpetually to various times, and I assumption I didnít box too numerous of you, but aeons ago you manoeuvre the intention a forefather beget done rather affectionately, then you oust uphold it itís importance.You can EXPLICIT training the clothes you are wearing today. You are allowed to change-over gone away from the accessories or change-over items of clothing with your associate, but you can not reciprocity the tops or bottoms of the look you are wearing TODAY! Correspondence replica semester I warned the province when this enumeration was approaching, so most people ďdressed upĒ securities barter in compensation that patch of class. This in reassuring interval unexceptionally Iím springing it on you!
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, spambot.
Not bad at all.

I'm still banning you though.

Blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: