TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMELL MY HAND

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rachelevil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: SMELL MY HAND Reply with quote

Okay, so this is another "writer seeking artist" post.

So, anyway, hi, my name is Rachel Evil McCall. I'm a writer. I don't think I've posted much here before (perhaps not at all). I've previously written a webcomic called "Life Among the Unmotivated", which is currently on an indefinite hiatus for reasons that aren't quite relevant to this current post.

Y'see, I've got a new thing that I've started writing. As you may have guessed from the thread title, it's called "SMELL MY HAND." So, it's kind of a few things at once. It's partially an Odd Couple style bit about a pair of college roommates (a queer punk rocker bass player and a conservative Christian future doctor (she's gonna be a doctor in the future, that is. She's not a Time Lord)), and partially a story about a punk rock band (put together by the aforementioned first roommate), all of it being sprinkled liberally with ironic asides, constant music references, and zine-style "top five" lists.

A few of the primary characters are:

Roisin: She's a rocker. She rocks out. Plays bass. Alternates between laconic and manic. Rock and roll is everything to her. Tends to seek out odd and unusual music. Has absolutely no idea what she's going to do in college.

Amanda: Wants to be a doctor. Loves the idea of being able to help and heal people. Generally very good-hearted. Very religious. Had a very conservative upbringing. Pretty unaccepting on LGBT issues, but gets better as things go on. Her primary attribute is compassion.

Mitzi: Drummer. Hyper. A bit on the larger side, and she'll kick your ass if you talk smack about that. Tends towards intense enthusiasm.

Kirsten: Guitarist. Exceedingly mellow. Almost Mitzi's opposite. Very serious about her music. Extremely tall, kinda thin.

Skeevy Dave: Kirsten's boyfriend. Tends to live up to his name. Crusty punk.

To give you a better idea of what precisely I'm writing, here are the first eight pages of script. (Keep in mind that this is a rough draft and may go through several revisions before we're ready to get this thing off the ground.)

Quote:
SMELL MY HAND
Scriptage.
By Rachel Evil McCall

1. Roisin Goes To College

PAGE 1. Four panels. Panel one at the top of the page, going all the way across the page, panel two below that, slightly overlapping, offset slightly to the right, panel three just below panel two, on the left side of the page, smaller than all the other panels on the page, panel four, bigger than the others and taller than it is long, in the bottom right corner, again slightly overlapping panel two. There will be some blank space in the bottom left.

Panel One: Aerial shot of a university campus. This will be our story’s setting. The university is more or less a generic New England university, located in a generic small New England city.

Caption: This is a story…

Panel two: Shot of a van pulling into a parking space near a dorm building. This van belongs to our protagonist, Roisin Roark. Roisin’s a rocker. She rocks out. The van’s an old, shitty Econoline from the 80s. That it runs is nothing short of miraculous. It’s covered with stickers that demonstrate Roisin’s rockitude. Bands that I’d suggest be referenced on the van’s stickers (if any are visible enough at any point in time): Soviettes, Epoxies, Hedrons, Storm and the Balls, Awesome Snakes, UUVVWWZ, Polysics, Plastiscines, Melt-Banana, Sleater-Kinney, Sonic Youth, Husker Du, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, DEVO, Pixies, Alice Donut, God Equals Genocide, AIDS Wolf, Babes in Toyland, Giant Drag, Golden Triangle, things of that ilk.

Caption: This is a story about ROCK AND ROLL.

Panel three: Distant shot of Roisin exiting the van. Roisin is a new college freshman, just moving in now. She’s 18, and tiny (about 5’2”, skinny). She has blonde hair, pulled into two very short pigtails. She favors punk-esque clothing, and tends to wear several rainbow-themed accessories at the same time (she likes to be a gay pride billboard sometimes). Here she should be wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt that says “I Play the Bass” (like the guy from the Prototypes in the video for “Who’s Gonna Sing”. I can provide a youtube link if needed.).

Panel four: Closer shot of Roisin as she looks up at the dorm building. Should be a shot of her from the front, as she looks up, and slightly to the left of the panel.

Caption (to be placed in the blank space next to the panel): Or, maybe, it’s a story about a girl living in a dorm room in her first year of college. Or maybe both. Who knows? Whatever.

PAGE 2. Four panels. Panels one and two at the top quarter of the page, panel three running across the second quarter, and panel four taking up the bottom half.

Panel one: Roisin walking up the stairs, schlepping her stuff. She has a bass guitar strapped to her back, a few cardboard boxes loaded in her arms, and a poster under one armpit. She should look comically overloaded.

Panel two: Roisin walks up to a room with an open door. By the side of the door is a paper sign with the names of the occupants. It reads: “R. Roark, A. Scott.”

Panel three: Shot of Roisin, in her new room, looking off to the side at someone who is talking to her. She looks mildly shocked. The layout of the dorm itself is fairly simple: two loft beds above desks on either side of the room, a sink, microwave and mini fridge on one end, and a door to the bathroom on the other.

Amanda (off-panel): Hi! You must be my new roomie!

Panel four: And here we meet Amanda, Roisin’s new college roommate. Amanda is also starting her first year, and is also 18. She’s had a fairly conservative Christian upbringing, and her worldview is pretty much shaped by that. She’s not naïve, but at the same time maybe isn’t quite ready for how different life is from how she was raised. She has long brown hair, which she typically wears down. She’s a little taller than Roisin (about 5’5”), and not quite as thin. She’s wearing a “Jesus Saves” t-shirt and khaki pants. She’s in a fairly perky mood right now, excited about starting college.

PAGE 3. Five panels. Panels one and two in the top third of the page, panel three in the middle third, on the left side, panel four in the bottom third, on the left side, panel five taking up the bottom two thirds on the right side.

Panel one: Roisin starts putting down boxes, as Amanda continues talking.

Amanda: So, hey, I’m Amanda. You’re Roisin, right? I had to look up how to pronounce that. Is it, like, foreign or something?

Roisin: Irish. My dad’s into that stuff.

Panel 2: Roisin looks for a place to put her bass.

Amanda: So, what are you majoring in?

Panel 3: Roisin shrugs.

Roisin: Dunno.

Panel four: Amanda continues talking while Roisin continues putting stuff away.

Amanda: Oh, okay, then. I’m going for pre-med, myself. I always knew the lord meant for me to heal people, so that’s what I want to do. And this is a good school for that, even though my parents didn’t like the idea of me coming here. You know, they keep saying that colleges like this are full of liberals and homosexuals and that I’m gonna end up corrupted by it. Crazy, right?

Panel 5: Shot of Roisin, speechless, with a raised eyebrow. She has paused in the middle of putting stuff away. She’s holding a rolled up flannel shirt in one hand, and still has the poster under her arm. The poster is partially unrolled, and we can see that it’s a picture of Rainbow Dash from “My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.” Arrows with captions point to various points of interest.

Arrow (pointing at her ears): Rainbow triangle earrings.
Arrow (pointing at her wrist): Rainbow bracelet.
Arrow (pointing at her waist): Rainbow belt.
Arrow (pointing at the poster): Rainbow Dash.
Arrow (pointing at the bottom of the panel): You can’t see them in this panel, but her shoelaces are rainbow patterned, too.
Arrow (pointing at the shirt she’s holding): Flannel.

PAGE 4. Five panels. Two in the top third of the page, two in the middle third, one in the bottom third, with room for a big caption in the bottom right corner.

Panel one: Amanda continues going on, oblivious, as Roisin goes about her business of making one side of the room her own.

Roisin: Uhm…

Amanda: So, anyway, besides not majoring in anything, what do you like to do?

Roisin: I play bass, mostly.

Panel two: More talking. Roisin looks slightly incredulous.

Amanda: Base? Is that, like, a video game or something?

Panel three: Roisin holds up her bass, as a demonstration.

Roisin: Bass. Like, bass guitar. Like… music?

Amanda: Ohhhhhh.

Panel four: Amanda continues to attempt to elicit conversation. Roisin continues to attempt to avoid conversation.

Amanda: So, what kind of music do you like?

Roisin: Ehhh, you probably haven’t heard of any of it…*

Panel five: Roisin starts to walk out the door.

Roisin: Anyway, I gotta get the rest of my stuff outta my van…

CAPTION ON THE SIDE:

*Roisin’s Top 5 “You probably haven’t heard of…”

5: Golden Staph. Band from Australia I heard about because of Maximum Rock’n’Roll. “Dr. Tony” is a pretty awesome song.
4: UUVVWWZ. Weird kinda arty band from Nebraska. Really cool sound.
3: Anarchistwood. Kinda arty, kinda punky, kinda chaotic band from London. Found out about them ‘cuz they’re MySpace friends with Alice Donut.
2: God Equals Genocide. Totally fucking awesome band, another Maximum Rock’n’Roll fave.
1: Awesome Snakes. Nothin’ to say except how much they rock. It’s a lot. They rock a lot.

PAGE 5. Four panels. Two in the top third of the page, one biggish one taking the bottom two thirds of the page, height-wise, and about half a page wide, and one little panel in the bottom right corner.

Panel 1: We see Amanda over Roisin’s shoulder as Roisin is leaving.

Amanda: Okay! Well, I might not be here when you get back. My parents should be about to come back and take me to lunch.

Panel 2: Roisin walks out the door and into someone.

Roisin: Okay, then, I’ll see you la… *oof*

Panel 3: We see Amanda’s parents, glaring at Roisin, over whom they tower. They appear to be very… stern. Very conservative types who are unlikely to approve of Roisin in any way.

Panel 4: Close up on Roisin as she stammers.

Roisin: Er… well.

PAGE 6. Six panels, in three rows of two.

Panel 1: Roisin rushes past Amanda’s folks and down the hall.

Roisin: Nicetomeetyoubye!

Panel 2: Roisin pulls more stuff out of her van.

Panel 3: Roisin, back in the room, puts stuff away.

Panel 4: Roisin sits at her computer, typing something up.

Panel 5: Roisin pulls a paper out of the printer.

Panel 6: Roisin walks up to one of those big triangular bulletin board thingies you see on college campuses.

PAGE 7. Three panels. One smaller one in the top left corner, one big one in the middle of the page, and one little one in the bottom right corner. Room in the bottom left corner for another Top 5.

Panel 1: Roisin tacks a paper to the bulletin board.

Panel 2: We see the paper. It’s an ad with those little strips at the bottom to tear off. The strips each have a phone number on them (let’s make it 555-2342). The paper says.

BASSIST NEEDS BAND.

Bass player looking to start a new band. Looking for power-trio* type thing w/ guitarist and drummer. Call me if you can play either of those and are interested. My fave influences: Minutemen, Sleater-Kinney, Husker Du, Pixies, Soviettes.

ROCKING IS MANDATORY.
Rolling is permitted.

Panel 3: As Roisin walks away, we see someone in the background reading the flyer. This is Mitzi, the future drummer for Smell My Hand. She’s also a freshman. She’s a little overweight, has short black hair in which she wears barettes. She tends to dress in black with polka dots.

Mitzi: Hey! Did you post this?

Top 5 list:

*ROISIN’S TOP 5 POWER-TRIOS.

5. Nirvana. Probably not fashionable to be into them anymore, but damn if Bleach isn’t a fine album.
4. Babes In Toyland. Even less fashionable, but if you don’t think “Handsome and Gretel” kicks ass, you have no fucking soul.
3. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs. At least until they went fuckin' DISCO. Betrayal is bitter.
2. Minutemen. Just a completely kickass band. Three guys who played awesomely and rocked the hell out.
1. Sleater-Kinney. See above, but replace “guys” with “girls.”

PAGE 8. Six panel grid.

Panel 1: Roisin turns around as Mitzi rushes toward her.

Roisin: Uhm… yeah?

Panel 2: Mitzi shakes Roisin’s hand vigorously. Roisin is frightened.

Mitzi: Hi! My name’s Mitzi, and I’m a drummer. I just saw your ad, and I’d totally love to jam with you. I just love all sorts of punk rock and stuff and I think we have similar tastes, so I think we’d be pretty cool together and I’d love to be in your band!

Panel 3: Roisin manages to free her hand.

Roisin: Ohhhkay. Uhm, I’m Roisin. Well, call me, and we can get together.

Panel 4: Mitzi bounces enthusiastically.

Mitzi: Yay! I’m gonna be in a band!

Panel 5: Mitzi skips away, and Roisin walks in the other direction.

Roisin: Whew. Well, at least she’s enthusiastic.

Panel 6: Roisin, back in her room, naps on her bed.

So, yeah, that's about the size of that. If you want to see more of my writing, you can check out Life Among the Unmotivated: http://lifeamong.thecomicseries.com/. Just be warned that the first few strips are really rough, writing-wise. I didn't really hit my stride until a few strips in, there. I still wince at the older strips.

As far as payment goes, at this point in my life I'm unable to offer any payment up front. 50% of any and all eventual profits will go to the artist, of course, though it may be a little while before that becomes a thing (Life Among did net a small, but decent amount in donations, though, so it's not inconceivable that there would be profit from this comic).

What I'm looking for in art is fairly cartoony art in black and white. I tend to have something of a punk/indie aesthetic, so I'm looking for art that would compliment that well, but, really, as long as it's decent, I'm not picky.

So, yeah, that's my pitch. If you're interested, contact me at rachel.evil.mccall at gmail.com, and we'll talk turkey.
rachelevil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The artist previously attached to this project has backed out, so I am once again looking for anyone who may be interested.
rachelevil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another artist has backed out, so I am now once again looking for a collaborator.
Kail

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of schedule are you looking at (like, how much time per week is this going to cost)?
rachelevil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No particular schedule yet. Depends on whatever's doable.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend learning to draw yourself. Your artist will never back out on you, and will always be on the same page. Drawing is not some unattainable skill. You may not be Michelangello, but most people can learn the basics. Fewer things will teach you to draw like regularly updating your own webcomic. My artistic skill improved dramatically from the attempt.

If you find a good artist's forum, or even here at TWCL, you can get a lot of good artistic advice and support.
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. This is the best way to get your comic made.

rachelevil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
I recommend learning to draw yourself. Your artist will never back out on you, and will always be on the same page. Drawing is not some unattainable skill. You may not be Michelangello, but most people can learn the basics. Fewer things will teach you to draw like regularly updating your own webcomic. My artistic skill improved dramatically from the attempt.

If you find a good artist's forum, or even here at TWCL, you can get a lot of good artistic advice and support.

Oh, I've tried. Never much cared for the results. Also, I no longer have a working scanner. Still, might try this approach later on for something else.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rachelevil wrote:
Also, I no longer have a working scanner.
Heresy. Twisted Evil

I still encourage you to draw while you don't have an artist. Your comic can at least progress that way while you're waiting. I first started making my comic after reading someone else's horribly drawn monstrosity (don't remember which comic it was now), and I decided that if they can put their scrawl on the internet, so can I.

I hate to see a good comic not get made for lack of an artist, when most people can learn to draw reasonably.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

How long do you envision the comic to be?

I am very interested in working on a short story, but I really can't commit to anything huge like a graphic novel. Maybe a GN if we take it a chapter at a time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum