TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I belong here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryjobradley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Do I belong here? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I was hoping to get your opinion on my "webcomic" because I don't really know if it's a webcomic at all!

http://www.doodledeedoo.com

It's a place where I like to post some of my sketches, along with fun little stories about them. I honestly never saw it as a comic strip, but I've come up with no better way to categorize it! I think I have some fun things up there (though it's small yet), and I'd like to share it with everyone - but if you can't categorize it, how do you get people to stumble on it? Razz

Thanks for your input!
Mary Jo
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally describe it as more of a sketch blog than an actual comic personally.

Blog
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kirk and Cynthia sketch/story kinda reminded me of some of Gary Larson's Far Side comics, the ones without dialogue, a snapshot accompanied by a weirdo explanation of what was happening.

The difference here perhaps is that the story went on just a little *too* long, resulting in deflating humor levels.

Maybe I was expecting a punchline, but it's a gentler kind of funny. More like a sitcom, where you have to get involved with the characters and watch the entire episode. (Er... if that makes any sense whatsoever.)

So yeah, sketch blog is probably right. Comic, not so much.

Caveat: what the heck do I know?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maryjo: Very cute! I must disagree with the other two.. this could be a comic OR sketch blog OR something like "The Paragraph Novels" maybe?

I don't know whether that would be a comic or not, but you are welcome to join us! I'm sure most of our discussions would definitely apply! I think you could still add yourself to The Webcomiclist as "unclassified" if you would like to join the list, too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys! It really is a conundrum. I originally thought it would be a sketch blog too. But after really looking at other sketch blogs, I thought that my stories added another dimension, that made it not fit as well. Or, atleast as well as calling it a webcomic Razz

Yeah dpat - I think the lack of a real 'punchline' detracts from labelling it as a webcomic. I think I will in the future work on condensing the stories just a bit though - I'm more of an artist then a writer, so I'm sure my writing could use some tightening up!

And Witch, thank you *so* much for pointing me to The Paragraph Novels. What a find! It seems like a good fit with mine - though we're kinda the opposite in focus. Regardless, I'm sure looking forward to reading his work!

Thanks again for all the feedback!
Mary Jo
thestripedone
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifes a Witch wrote:
Maryjo: Very cute! I must disagree with the other two.. this could be a comic OR sketch blog OR something like "The Paragraph Novels" maybe?

The laziness on that site makes me cry. Sad The sentence-initial letters aren't even capitalized! For shame! If you're going to make a writing blog, you should at least write well.
Lifes a Witch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such eccentricities in grammar are not unknown in literature (e e cummings, for example). Perhaps Paragraph Novels could be to literature what webcomics are to art. Laughing
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifes a Witch wrote:
Such eccentricities in grammar are not unknown in literature (e e cummings, for example). Perhaps Paragraph Novels could be to literature what webcomics are to art. Laughing

That'd be like you having all your characters without fingers or something, but insisting they're perfeclty normal. Razz
Bad Example

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really want to talk about is it a webcomic or is it not (hell, who am I to judge?) - but I did like the artwork.

Keep it up dude Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: