TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Print On Demand advice needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
natephoenix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Print On Demand advice needed Reply with quote

Hello folks! Been a gooooooooood long while since I last posted on here, though i've been lurking about, watching you all. Mwahaha.

Ahem.

So, with my convention season starting in February I'm trying to get a mini-comic the prequels my webcomic done up and finished in time.

I was quoted by The Fallen Angel Media's 'Print X' service for 0.90 per copy, but that was a year or so ago. Before I get back in touch with them to see what their prices are now, do any of you have any advice on services that you've used before?

Any horror stories?

www.JazzandJess.com <---May contain Boobies and Zombies.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends...what are the specs on the book and the minimum print run for the price? For example, my neighborhood newsletter was 8-pages two-color (with high quality shading), and cost us about $0.76 each for a 1000-copy run. A well-meaning neighbor went to Staples and got a quote of $0.47 for the same output. Except that the quality was significantly lower.

So, what I'm saying, is caveat emptor. PoDs have been known to gouge, but a significantly lower price may be a sign of reduced quality standards or lax delivery schedules.
UncleRobot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a print run of 1,000 you're kind of out of the POD realm, aren't you?

I know that Brenner does print runs of 1,000 no problem.

AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not get your comic printed at a local place like Staples or Kinkos. For the love of god! MAYBE if it's a locally owned business and not a nationwide franchise, but those bigger guys don't know what they're doing half the time. If you're doing runs of 1,000+ copies, you should be looking at bulk printing rather than POD (of course, it was Casual Notice that brought that one up). If you DO look into bulk printing, try Transcontinental, out of Canada. They seem to have good customer service at the very least. I haven't actually used them though.

For a POD, Comixpress seems to be a really good one that a lot of people like, and I haven't heard many negative things about them except for the slow turnaround time (which is to be expected from any POD, really). Their prices are a tad higher than Ka-Blam, but I have heard a lot of bad things about Ka-Blam. But at the same time, Ka-Blam offers some kind of distribution service that most PODs do not. I guess it all depends on what you're intentions are in regards to quantity and distribution. I aim to probably use Comixpress in the near future, myself. I think....

natephoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I guess i need to factor in their shipping rates to the UK, too.

www.JazzandJess.com <---May contain Boobies and Zombies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: