TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad Art, But Good Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justinfh wrote:
Well, I've done a very comic strips that I'm gonna upload that are intentionally ugly.
Karma's going to get you, dude.

No, I understand if there's a point to it, or even if you just plain can't draw. But if you're going to spend a few million dollars on a production team, can't you at least have them produce something that doesn't intentionally make the eyes bleed? It's the slick corporate equivalent of saying "hey, we're not a slick corporate production studio, we're amateurs just like everyone else".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
Justinfh wrote:
Well, I've done a very comic strips that I'm gonna upload that are intentionally ugly.
Karma's going to get you, dude.

No, I understand if there's a point to it, or even if you just plain can't draw. But if you're going to spend a few million dollars on a production team, can't you at least have them produce something that doesn't intentionally make the eyes bleed? It's the slick corporate equivalent of saying "hey, we're not a slick corporate production studio, we're amateurs just like everyone else".

Let's put it this. I've done a comic strip that I will upload tomorrow. In my comic, I'm saying, "if you think this Web comic is bad. It could be worse. Then I draw horrible stick figures. The point I was trying to make is that my Webcomic isn't that bad.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mostly joking. It's your webcomic, do it how you want it. I'm just annoyed at the commercial cartoon business that makes bad cartoons as a style.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to the quality of the story since I haven't really read it, but "Not A Villain" (http://navcomic.com/) seems to have garnered quite a following despite having pretty simplistic art. It's also barely two years old so it's not a longevity thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint Wolf wrote:
I can't speak to the quality of the story since I haven't really read it, but "Not A Villain" (http://navcomic.com/) seems to have garnered quite a following despite having pretty simplistic art. It's also barely two years old so it's not a longevity thing.

Yeah I'm surprised at how well that comic has grown. Not just in terms of audience, but also in skill.

The first few pages are poorly drawn, as far as skill goes, but it was also evident that the artist was trying (I want to say "her" but I don't know for sure) best and that there were some intentional artistic flaws.

For example, the context of the comic is that it takes place in virtual online world, and the main character, at one point or two, is being portrayed in her Avatar that she drew herself. It looked terrible, and to pull of that look the artist drew her left-handed.

Additionally, the particular looks of some comics are determined by other aspects in the story. Many pages look simple because the server is using simple graphics. Once they were on a server that displayed only in black-and-white.

So a lot of the "poor art" is by intent. But even so, I'm also impressed by how well the artwork has grown.
Jessthetipus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Hi. Reply with quote

Thanks....
Keirajasmin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the ones I attempt to make.

That and some really odd ones that I once loved but didn't bother to save the links of.

I always wanted to make comics, I'm a great drawer and story plotter, but I also get annoyed very easily. I've never been able to finish a comic panel of art...or even a full book. Razz
Plisners

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends whether you mean poor quality or just not suited to to the comic. Having said that, most of my attempts could be classed as poor Wink
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first pages of Darken weren't that great, but they improved greatly over time and the story was awesome.

No Dice I think fits here. The earlier stories were really not great at all, the current ones aren't that great either but he's improving. The stories at interesting at least.

The first pages of TwoKinds also... though, I'm not sure if I'm really into the story or not. It's borderline. It's a furry lovestory, so... yeah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: